Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Early version of Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Silver?

WITHDRAWN LISTING - NOW A DISCUSSION THREAD

Item Description
This Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited Lens (Silver) was NOS at a small camera shop and acquired in a bulk buy, I'm reselling a few of the lenses I don't see fitting into my lineup. The lens looks to have been on the shelf out of the box and may have been mounted on bodies for demonstration purposes, as there was surface dust on the lens and (velvet-type) hood interior before I cleaned it up for sale. There is no internal dust or indications of wear on the lens. There are however marks on the lens cap shown in the photos. I'm sure you will be pleased with its condition opon arrival. Comes with original box, caps, and documentation.

See example photos at:
Pbase
Pentax Photo Gallery

See reviews at:
Pentax Forums
Photography Review

NIB!

Front

Back

Marks on Lens Cap

Last edited by d.bradley; 06-01-2010 at 11:12 PM.
06-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

SN 0003983!! My word this must be an earlier sample, different pouch too.
06-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #3

One of the earlier versions with lead glass I think? I think this is worth more with the older style bag too. Good luck with your sale.
06-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I remember reading something about the early version too which supposedly used special materials in the glass. There were comparison photos with other versions but I can't find the link for all the googling in the world. The conclusion was that the original was sharper and had better CA control.
(But with any test, it could've been sample variation)

06-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting stuff guys, I really appreciate the insight! I had no idea there were different versions of the lens. Off to do some more research!

---------- Post added 06-02-2010 at 10:39 AM ----------

Here's a link to a forum discussion talking about the differences:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd-14.html

And the discussion picks up again here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd-26.html

Special Standard - Pentax FA 43mm f1.9 Limited - PhotoMalaysia Community

Neat!

Last edited by d.bradley; 06-02-2010 at 12:50 PM.
06-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

found a thread on here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd-14.html
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's it! This is the blog post I was thinking of, which is linked to from those threads:
???? PENTAX FA 43/1.9 Limited ??-???

You hanging on to it?

06-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I was counting my pennies and arranging a loan from the bank to buy this lens.

Haha, I'm exaggerating, but I was planning to buy it once I convinced the wife.
06-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
SN 0003983!! My word this must be an earlier sample, different pouch too.
my is 0003706 with brown pouch again
06-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm kicking myself because I just let go the other more recent black 43mm that came in my bulk buy and I could have done an up-to-date english language comparison of the two lenses. CURSES! Now I'm stuck, I have no idea what to do with this facinating lens.
06-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
I'm kicking myself because I just let go the other more recent black 43mm that came in my bulk buy and I could have done an up-to-date english language comparison of the two lenses. CURSES! Now I'm stuck, I have no idea what to do with this facinating lens.
put it on your camera, go out and start taking pictures...
FA43ltd is one of the most rewarding lenses I have ever used... I gave me 4 PPG acceptances from 1st outing...
06-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #12

Use it or sell it, that wonderful lens has been sitting in a box for way too long.
06-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Use or sell...yah that's the question. I originally was thinking to sell, as I have my 50/1.4 SMC Takumar which I love to death, and is a little close to the 43mm for my taste, but there is real temptation to slap this one on the K10D for a while and see how it works. Still, i can't help but think that someone out there would appreciate the merits of the early production model more than I would.

Building a lineup is like bringing home a batch of kittens, how do you decide which ones deserve a better home?
06-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think you have a rare opportunity here. I know you got a good deal on a bunch of those lenses, but who knew you had something that special on your hands?

So, yes, there's money to be made, but anybody could make the money reselling lenses--you happen to have a nice camera that fits this lens!

I think you should try it out. If you don't like it, sell it in a few months. Even though you couldn't sell it as "BNIB," I think you'd get close to what you were asking earlier, maybe more--the price on the 43 isn't going down, and they don't make them like this anymore.

edit-- Oh yeah, is there anything you're keeping from the batch?
06-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I think you have a rare opportunity here. I know you got a good deal on a bunch of those lenses, but who knew you had something that special on your hands?

So, yes, there's money to be made, but anybody could make the money reselling lenses--you happen to have a nice camera that fits this lens!

I think you should try it out. If you don't like it, sell it in a few months. Even though you couldn't sell it as "BNIB," I think you'd get close to what you were asking earlier, maybe more--the price on the 43 isn't going down, and they don't make them like this anymore.

edit-- Oh yeah, is there anything you're keeping from the batch?
I wanted to keep one fancy lens that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise...the 31/1.8. I've wanted that one ever since I switched over from Minolta years ago and sold my then coveted 35/1.4. This silver fox is messing up all my best laid plans.