Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I hate duct tape and only use duck tape.
I've taped a few ducks in my day.
(Don't ask what I do in my night.)
When I tape a duck, it want it to STAY taped.
Too many ducks come untaped at odd times.
I really hate when that happens.
Especially without a camera near.
Superglue hold the feathers better.

06-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I've taped a few ducks in my day.
(Don't ask what I do in my night.)
When I tape a duck, it want it to STAY taped.
Too many ducks come untaped at odd times.
I really hate when that happens.
Especially without a camera near.
Superglue hold the feathers better.
When I tape 'em, they generally stay taped...

Steve
06-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #18
Site Supporter

These people make a custom version of the m42-k adapter that deals with auto ap lenses that lack an A-M switch. The price has gone up recently. Since I only have one of these lenses, I haven't gotten around to dealing with this issue.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
There is an adapter with an inner flange to hold the pin in (Pentax never did this, as they had the A/M switch, but Contax/Yashica has the flange in theirs).

Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - Pentax-k /m42 adapter with inner flange
Mamiya's m42 adapter had an inner flange to deal with this to, except it was actually sort of floating spring steel.

Last edited by Blue; 06-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
11-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've recently posted these pics in a post/article about a Tokina EL28/2.8 which is auto-only. When removing the back of the lens with the aperture activation mechanism, the aperture closes making it a manual lens.

Removing the full copper mechanism in the second picture makes this lens a manual lens.

11-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I contacted SRB-Griturn and ask them about the adapter with the flange. They say theirs comes with a flange but may not depress the pin on some lenses all the way.

I found this one. 黎环m42-PK无簧片第二代改口环紫砂黑 无限远合焦 - 淘宝网 It received a very good review on an other site. It does not have the locking tab but the person that had it said it went in the camera very well. It is installed and removed on the lens with the plastic cap provided. I do not read Chinese but I have a client from China and she told me the cost and ordered it for me. With shipping it was $25 US. I have the Pentax adapter but I do have some M42 lenses that do not have the manual switch. I will keep people updated when I get the adapter and do a mini review.

Al
11-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Super glue seems to break down in higher temperatures or at least my past attempts to fix things @80 C or so for hours (sauna) at a time have failed :-)
11-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Another vote for putting a plastic sleeve over the pin on these type of lenses, even if it means taking the back off.

I bought a cheap M42 Super Paragon 135mm last week with no 'auto - man' switch like found on Tak's and Helios amongst others, the pin was the only method of operating the aperture.

Being lazy and not really wanting to take the rear of the lens apart I thought I would be clever and rotate a pressed alloy top hat shaped trim plate on the back of the lens that had a cutout for the aperture pin. I thought that by rotating it one screw hole the thin plate would hold the pin down.

It did, but too bloody well! it pushed the pin too far in and dislodged a spring in the levers rendering the aperture useless.
So I had to take the back off, then spend a fun hour or so figuring out where the spring should fit, and more importantly, how the hell to get it back in without a major stripdown!

I got it back in and working, and then sleeved the pin with the old faithful bit of Qtip.

Do it right, and do it once.

05-21-2020, 01:40 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Yes, that is one other solution. I have a copy of the adapter from Alex (hk300 in mflenses).

The extra inner flange will depress the pin

more in M42 adapter for auto-mount m42 lens

The adapter works fine to a certain degree if your lens is small. With longer and heavier lens, I find the adapter not locking the lens securely in place. The adapter has its value but like other 3rd party adapters, the material and build is not as good as the genuine Pentax adapter.

Thanks,
Hin
What brand and type number is this adapter? I have had no succes in finding one so far. Thanks in advance!
05-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is over a decade old. You'll probably have better luck starting a new one.
05-22-2020, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 321pentaprism Quote
What brand and type number is this adapter? I have had no succes in finding one so far. Thanks in advance!
There are several Chinese M42 adaptors with a lip that will activate the aperture pin for auto m42 lenses, but I prefer to slop a sleeve over the pin, just behind the base of the lens, as I am not concerned with using my lenses on a screw mount body.

Here is a shot of an adaptall M42 mount with the mod being proposed.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/115841-...ml#post1199619

The mod is simply take about 3 mm of a ball point pen refil tube, and slit it down one side so it can slide over the pin

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-22-2020 at 04:51 AM.
05-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only time I had a pin sticking was with my 135 mm f3.5 and that's because I was using a Non-Pentax adapter. All my other M42 lenses work with no problems. I have about 7 of them all Takumars.
05-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #27

Why not tack the pin down with a bit of hot glue? You can peel the glue off if you want to use the pin later. If you cleaned any dirt, grease or oil off the pin and surrounding are these should be no worries of the blob of glue dropping off.
05-22-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Holy resurrected threads! This is from 10 years ago when Pentax was doomed. Has anyone checked in on Pentax today? Pentax?
05-22-2020, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Holy resurrected threads! This is from 10 years ago when Pentax was doomed. Has anyone checked in on Pentax today? Pentax?
Pentax was doomed When they changed to k mount, then when I bought my PZ1, my *istD, K10, K7, K5, and K1 MK2. Sure they may be doomed at some point, but at the rate they are going they will out live me, and that抯 good enough I think.

In that time canon has abandoned its lens mount not once, but twice, and back compatibility for Nikon was yes of course you can mount a lens but with few exceptions the only function offered was the shutter would trip.

I for one think they have done alright
05-25-2020, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
This thread is over a decade old. You'll probably have better luck starting a new one.
Or not.