Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax DA 10-17mm FE - The Sequel

I have posted recently couple threads on my bad experience with the DA 10-17mm FE lens. Today I received the new replacement lens, so I was very anxious to try it out. Well it definitely worked better/sharper than the old lens, but still not quite up to my expectations and from the few test shots, I got a feeling that it is back focusing. To be certain, I tried the focusing chart, it is a bit awkward to use with the FE lens, but sure enough, there was a fairly heavy back focus.

Now to give you a bit of a background; several months ago after purchasing my KX, I did the autofocus calibration using the kit 18-55mm lens. Using this lens, I was getting a heavy front focusing, which required a major AF correction of -140 points, but seemed to be working OK with my other two AF lenses as well. However, this -140 points correction was causing a major back focusing with my new 10-17mm lens. To correct this AF error, I needed to go back to only -30 points on my KX camera.

So I learned couple things:
1) Each lens requires different AF correction for its optimum focusing, so one needs to work out some kind of a reasonable compromise.
2) For some reason, it looks like the FE lens is much more sensitive to the AF adjustment. On the kit lens the +/-30 points did not make too much difference, on the FE lens the +/-10 points makes quite a bit of difference.

I went through some email communication with Pentax Canada and in the last email the tech was suggesting that the KX can handle up to 20 different adjustments for 20 different lenses. So there is probably a way to tell the camera how to “treat” each individual lens, unfortunately the AF correction procedure available on the web doesn’t deal with that issue.

In a summary, this new DA 10-17mm FE is a keeper. The only remaining issue is that the manual focusing ring turns a bit past the real infinity, so turning it to the very end means blurred picture. I might send the lens later to Pentax for correction.

06-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Correction

I need to take most of my statements in this post back, see my new post below. Sorry for confusion, these things just happen when person is not diligent enough.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/103677-travor-f...een-aware.html