Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
Does anyone know if the Sigma HSM lenses suffer the same failure rate or is that too much apples to oranges type of thing?
I know of two posts of HMS failure, one on the 50-150mm and one on the 70-200mm. You do however, get a four year warranty with Sigma lenses in the US, and I think 10 year in Canada.

Thank you
Russell

06-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there are a few posts that I saw, but not as prevalent or serious as that of the Pentax. the 4-10 year warranty is a luxury though.
06-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #33
Site Supporter

I think it is worth the risk to have the great optics of the 50-135 and the 16-50. I couldn't live without these lenses and if they do fail at some point, I guess I'll get them fixed (although I have an extended Mack Warranty on my 16-50). I think that things are better, but the fact that there is silence from Pentax on the subject serves only to stir the pot.

I have said before, but I think the answer is extending warranties on these lenses to at least three to four years. It definitely seems reasonable for lenses in the 800 dollar range to have longer warranties anyway.

On the other hand, you are guaranteed to have some failures in in-lens motors after a few years and those who buy these lenses understand that they are not last forever lenses (at least without tune ups) that the manual focus beauties of the past were.
06-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I understand the logic that electronics dont last forever, but atleast Pentax should atleast make them more durable or last longer than the rechargeable D-Lion batteries or any other electronics that are used more often or under constant stress everyday. especially if the gadget is what we call as expensive precision instruments. for sure, a 1 year failure is not acceptable by no means. so an improved AF motor and extended warranty is still the best solution.

06-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is worth the risk
That's the point of talking about the failures, so people can access the risk without the spin. A healthy dose of skepticism when listening to Pentax employees, I think, is called for just because without an official disclosure of the issue, you don't know if the person is simply protecting their rice bowl or not. This thread really should be in the rumor section. Having it here in the lens section already gives it too much legitimacy.

Thank you
Russell
06-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Just got my DA* 16-50 lens back today. SDM motor broke four months ago. (squeaked loudly most of the year and a half that I owned it, still squeaked a bit when I got it repaired). Of course, the SDM motor broke again about three weeks ago.

But today... totally silent, and so much quicker than ever! I guess I don't have numbers to back up the speed, but it feels so much faster than I am used to. (used the lens almost every day so I "think" I have a good feel for how it behaves. I'll get a better feel for it in bright sunlight tomorrow.)

FYI, Have to hand it to C.R.I.S.Cam for the quick turn around on the lens.
06-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is worth the risk to have the great optics of the 50-135 and the 16-50. I couldn't live without these lenses and if they do fail at some point, I guess I'll get them fixed (although I have an extended Mack Warranty on my 16-50). I think that things are better, but the fact that there is silence from Pentax on the subject serves only to stir the pot.

I have said before, but I think the answer is extending warranties on these lenses to at least three to four years. It definitely seems reasonable for lenses in the 800 dollar range to have longer warranties anyway.

On the other hand, you are guaranteed to have some failures in in-lens motors after a few years and those who buy these lenses understand that they are not last forever lenses (at least without tune ups) that the manual focus beauties of the past were.
Agree
06-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Agree
Absolutely agree. I will not buy another SDM lens unless it includes an Pentax 3-year warranty.

My Sigma 70-200mm HSM failed recently after a year and a half. Sigma fixed it fast and free. It's really shameful that Pentax isn't doing the same for their SDM lenses.

06-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
I would greatly appreciate a SDM survey.

-- Chris
Been there, Done that:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/83743-superson...s-failure.html

Russell also compiled a very helpful list of all the threads started by people with SDM failure. I can't find it right now.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 06-04-2010 at 06:31 PM.
06-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
So one in ten is OK?

Thank you
Russell
Russell,

You have no data to calculate one in ten. All you have is a bunch of annecdotal stuff

If you do, show us the numbers. How many were defective divided by how many were produced.

Calm down, this is not religion, its just cameras.
06-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Phil,
You might want to reserve comments like that for some of the people here that refused to believe that there ever was a problem with SDM, even in light of overwhelming evidence.

If we are to believe Ben's post, now even Pentax "admits" there is a problem with SDM.
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Just got my DA* 16-50 lens back today. SDM motor broke four months ago. (squeaked loudly most of the year and a half that I owned it, still squeaked a bit when I got it repaired). Of course, the SDM motor broke again about three weeks ago.

But today... totally silent, and so much quicker than ever! I guess I don't have numbers to back up the speed, but it feels so much faster than I am used to. (used the lens almost every day so I "think" I have a good feel for how it behaves. I'll get a better feel for it in bright sunlight tomorrow.)

FYI, Have to hand it to C.R.I.S.Cam for the quick turn around on the lens.
Wow, thats exactly what benjikan said, its quicker. I'm a mechanical engineer (but never worked cameras), i can tell you quite honestly that in some parts of the design field, there's a ton of data to help with design, and then in other areas, you make a stab at it and hope you are right. My best guess is that they got a motor in there that was marginal in its torque. When the lens is new, its adequate but slow. When the friction starts to go up slightly with age, dust or temps, it stops. pop in a stronger motor and its good to go for a long time.

Frankly, this is very good news, i get good pics out of both my SDM lenses, consistently! Now, if my composition skills were better, i'd have it made :-)
06-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Phil,
You might want to reserve comments like that for some of the people here that refused to believe that there ever was a problem with SDM, even in light of overwhelming evidence.

If we are to believe Ben's post, now even Pentax "admits" there is a problem with SDM.
PentaxPoke,
I wasn't around when this SDM problem started so i can't speak to that experience. It isn't easy for any individual or company (such as Pentax) to recognize and/or admit mistakes/problems. Most individuals and companies work very hard to be successful. Admitting defeat goes against the grain. And in the retail field, admitting mistakes must be even more difficult with implications for warranty service and future sales.

I will admit that the 3 reports that the new revised SDM motors are quicker are "annecdotal" and not proof that an SDM fix has been found. But i like to be optimistic, particularly with Pentax since i now have a collection of lenses that i like and am getting positive feedback.

Are many photographers a bit obsessive with their craft? No, only the good ones I often have to remind myself that cameras are a just a useful tool, because i am obsessive about the vocation as well.

Best wishes,
06-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Russell,

You have no data to calculate one in ten. All you have is a bunch of annecdotal stuff

If you do, show us the numbers. How many were defective divided by how many were produced.

Maybe not. But 2 out 12 of the DA 17-70mm lenses in the review data base have in fact had SDM failures. While that is a small sample size, it is still not anecdotal. Especially given the number of these lenses in use.

Edit: Even though its a calculated risk, I decided to give the DA 17-70 a try since I don't currently have an AF zoom in my arsenal. I'm only going to have one zoom and this is it for now.

Last edited by Blue; 06-05-2010 at 01:33 PM.
06-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #45
Veteran Member

But i like to be optimistic, particularly with Pentax
So it is a religion with you then. OK, clam down, put your mind into a rational state and consider your bias.

Thank you
Russell