Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Sorry for the delay. My wife and I just adopted 2 kittens so they have demanded some attention.

How I carried it:

The camera was connected to straps with quick release clips that attached to the frame of my backpack at the shoulder harness. This allowed the camera to dangle right at my sternum in between the hip and chest straps of the pack itself. The camera was always available, and this allowed me to take shots on very short notice. I have done this for several prior hiking outings and it has always worked well. If I can get my friends to share any of their photos maybe I can share what this looked like.
That's a nice way of carrying your camera -- didn't think of that.
Where did you store your macro lens? In the past, I have tried putting lenses in the backpack but if I did that, then I don't use it because it is such a pain to get it out of the backpack.

Sounds like you had fun -- thanks for sharing!

06-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like you guys had a really nice trip.
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, arpaagent!

I love my primes too, but that 16-50 is just so damned useful. I always threaten to leave it at home, but I never regret bringing it. On my last trip to Mexico with my wife and kids I brought the 16-50, and DA*55 and 4 more lenses that never made it out.

I agree with your defence of bringing a DSLR vs. a compact. I even have a G1 which does a great job for its size, but it's definitely not as responsive, not quite as easy to control and there's nothing like an optical viewfinder!

I'll also sign up for the DA*28/2...
06-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Great shots, arpaagent!
Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
I love my primes too, but that 16-50 is just so damned useful. I always threaten to leave it at home, but I never regret bringing it. <snip>
Haha, that is about exactly how I feel. It's almost a love/hate relationship. It would turn more towards the hate relationship if I could get that WR normal prime.

06-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #35
Ira
Inactive Account

FANTASTIC SHOTS! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED 99% OF THEM!!!

But who was the lazy guy who didn't jump in the jump shot!?
06-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

You guys have to be the cleanest bunch of backpackers I've ever seen. Nice photos -- wish I was there.
06-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
FANTASTIC SHOTS! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED 99% OF THEM!!!

But who was the lazy guy who didn't jump in the jump shot!?
hahaha Thanks! The lazy guy is my brother-in-law. He wasn't lazy about jumping, he just didn't get the timing right. We did several of them (using a 12 second timer, and I would give the command for everyone to jump)...but he didn't seem to time it right in any of them...oh well!

06-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #38
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
hahaha Thanks! The lazy guy is my brother-in-law. He wasn't lazy about jumping, he just didn't get the timing right. We did several of them (using a 12 second timer, and I would give the command for everyone to jump)...but he didn't seem to time it right in any of them...oh well!
That's a shot where you're 100% allowed to cheat in post:

If you have Photoshop or similar, I would DEFINITELY spend the time to outline and select him...move him up some pixels...invert the selection...and clone the empty ground area.

No one will ever know, and it would really make that shot like 110%.

I don't know your Photoshop experience, but I would be more than happy to do that for you. Just PM me.
06-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

If you have Photoshop or similar, I would DEFINITELY spend the time to outline and select him...move him up some pixels...invert the selection...and clone the empty ground area.

I don't know your Photoshop experience, but I would be more than happy to do that for you. Just PM me.
You should move him up 5 feet...or turn him upside down! That's the Bad Rhythm penalty.

Last edited by geauxpez; 06-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.
06-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Last year's hike was with Alpha 200 and a Sigma 18-200 (quantaray badge via Ritz); shot at f/8 for nearly everything, raw+jpg and tweaked what needed tweaking. Far better than P&S, simple enough not to slow us down too much.
This year it'll be K-7 and 16-45 (ahh, wide again ), with 50 prime and perhaps the 55-200 Sigma in the pack. That lens will need testing with 14 mpxls, other Pentax folk have not reviewed it well. It's quite happy on my k100d, but that isn't saying the same thing!

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 06-10-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: it's better now!
06-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I mainly use Lightroom for basic processing, but I think I'll give it a shot myself since I do have Photoshop Elements. However if I fail I might hit you up to see what you can do. Thanks for the offer!
06-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #42

nice pics. you've got some hops in the jump picture.