Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #61

Original Poster
WOW...what a nice lens! Just received the used Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX Macro from Adorama, and have been messing with it for about an hour. Yeah, I'd have to say it's quite a bit of an upgrade from the kit lens (HUGE understatement!). I fully expected it to not be so sharp wide open, but at least the sample I bought is incredible.

As for the condition rating of "Excellent" from Adorama's used department, I would overall have to rate it as inaccurate -- both in a good and bad way. First of all, the part that matters the most: The lens barrel, glass, mount, etc. is in perfect condition -- could easily be sold as new and no one would know the difference. However, neither the front nor rear lens cap is the original (not a really big thing for me), but the hood was not included (which is a big thing for me) and the soft case was missing as well (not too big of a deal for me). I feel that if a major accessory (like a hood or case) is not included then that should be specifically mentioned in the item description. I don't think it should affect the lens condition rating, but it should definitely be noted if original accessories are not included.

I'm ordering the OEM front cap and hood directly from the Sigma website, which will cost me $30 for both +$7 shipping. Not terribly bad considering how much OEM Pentax bayonet mount hoods cost these days! I'm buying the lens cap because the one that came on this used one is not a center-pinch type, so it will be difficult (if not impossible) to use with a hood.

This lens is normally $419 new (including the hood), but that's irrelevant since it's not in stock anywhere. If I wanted a similar new lens with the hood, I'd have to go with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SP as it's in stock from numerous sources, but it's also $460 (it does currently have a $45 mail-in rebate -- don't care for mail-in rebates much tho). So, in the end, even with buying the hood, I still got a significant discount on a great lens in pristine condition that is currently very difficult to find.

I would not hesitate to buy from Adorama's used site again, as the condition of this used lens that is the most important (the glass, the barrel, etc.) was simply superior -- in fact, pristine. Missing accessories can be bought later/separately.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions, and thanks to Helen for clarifying the Adorama return policy. I also might take her up on the offer to get a photo of the actual item prior to buying it! Thanks, Helen!

-- Chris

Last edited by Internetpilot; 06-11-2010 at 03:42 PM.
06-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #62
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
WOW...what a nice lens! Just received the used Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX Macro from Adorama........

As for the condition rating of "Excellent" from Adorama's used department, I would overall have to rate it as inaccurate -- both in a good and bad way. First of all, the part that matters the most: The lens barrel, glass, mount, etc. is in perfect condition -- could easily be sold as new and no one would know the difference.
However, neither the front nor rear lens cap is the original (not a really big thing for me), but the hood was not included (which is a big thing for me) and the soft case was missing as well (not too big of a deal for me). I feel that if a major accessory (like a hood or case) is not included then that should be specifically mentioned in the item description. I don't think it should affect the lens condition rating, but it should definitely be noted if original accessories are not included.

This lens is normally $419 new (including the hood), but that's irrelevant since it's not in stock anywhere. If I wanted a similar new lens with the hood, I'd have to go with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SP as it's in stock from numerous sources, but it's also $460 (it does currently have a $45 mail-in rebate -- don't care for mail-in rebates much tho). So, in the end, even with buying the hood, I still got a significant discount on a great lens in pristine condition that is currently very difficult to find.

I would not hesitate to buy from Adorama's used site again, as the condition of this used lens that is the most important (the glass, the barrel, etc.) was simply superior -- in fact, pristine. Missing accessories can be bought later/separately.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions, and thanks to Helen for clarifying the Adorama return policy. I also might take her up on the offer to get a photo of the actual item prior to buying it! Thanks, Helen!

-- Chris
Dear Chris

Thanks for the feedback; I'm delighted to hear that you were so pleased with the lens - and I do understand why you feel that there was an inadequate description on the website.

On the old site it was very clear (by opening a new window) what was included.

I understand that the used department manager has this week been meeting with the new website develpment team to discuss how to include this info on the new site.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 06-16-2010 at 02:23 AM.
06-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For those of you with the 16-45mm have you found the reverse zoom extension thing to be much of an issue? I read in a review where the lens actually extends the furthest out when at the 16mm wide angle, which can result in some lens shadow when using a flash (I read reports of even when using an external flash in bounce mode). Have any of you found that to be a problem?

I know these reviews (especially the professional ones) actually go looking for problems or issues with the lens (and usually find a random one or two if they don't find anything real world/legitimate/significant). But this one might actually be a problem for me when shooting large group shots. There are times when I'm asked to do an impromptu large group shot and all I have is the onboard flash. I almost always bounce and/or diffuse my external flash as well.

-- Chris
If you "Don't" it use below 21mm, you will not get the shadow (no hood).
I know, it is not the 24mm FOV, but is about 32mm FOV.. It is still fairly wide for groups. So, it is not too bad for indoor "on-board" flash.
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WOW...what a nice lens! Just received the used Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX Macro from Adorama, and have been messing with it for about an hour. Yeah, I'd have to say it's quite a bit of an upgrade from the kit lens (HUGE understatement!). I full expected it to not be so sharp wide open, but at least the sample I bought is incredible.

As for the condition rating of "Excellent" from Adorama's used department, I would overall have to rate it as inaccurate -- both in a good and bad way. First of all, the part that matters the most: The lens barrel, glass, mount, etc. is in perfect condition -- could easily be sold as new and no one would know the difference. However, neither the front nor rear lens cap is the original (not a really big thing for me), but the hood was not included (which is a big thing for me) and the soft case was missing as well (not too big of a deal for me). I feel that if a major accessory (like a hood or case) is not included then that should be specifically mentioned in the item description. I don't think it should affect the lens condition rating, but it should definitely be noted if original accessories are not included.

I'm ordering the OEM front cap and hood directly from the Sigma website, which will cost me $30 for both +$7 shipping. Not terribly bad considering how much OEM Pentax bayonet mount hoods cost these days! I'm buying the lens cap because the one that came on this used one is not a center-pinch type, so it will be difficult (if not impossible) to use with a hood.

-- Chris
enjoy you new lens.

06-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #65

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Dear Chris

Thanks for the feedback; I'm delighted to hear that you were so pleased with the lens - and I do understand why you feel that there was an inadequate description on the website.

On the old site it was very clear (by opening a new window) what was included.

I understand that the used departmewnt manager has this week been meeting with the new website develpment team to discuss how to include this info on the new site.
That's very good to hear. I really like the new website, but having never bought used equipment from Adorama before, I never knew that the "old" used website provided more information. I'm sure you folks will get it all worked out and everything going perfectly. Redesigning a site like that can be a chore and half -- I feel your pain (and that of your web team).

I gave the lens a wickedly close visual inspection again last night (after getting over my initial excitement of having the lens in-hand), and I still stand by what I originally posted. The lens looks new. I was even looking for minute blemishes -- I've actually found more things wrong with actual new purchases! Haha. I'm sure the lens was only rated as "Excellent" because it didn't have some of the originally included accessories, but you may want to think about a way to separate the rating out somehow where one part would be the condition of the base lens and the other part would be the original accessories, box, documentation, etc. Because this is a jewel of a lens that should've had a much higher condition rating than Excellent, but it was likely penalized because of the hood and/or the caps.

Thanks again -- I'll be back!
06-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #66

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
If you "Don't" it use below 21mm, you will not get the shadow (no hood).
I know, it is not the 24mm FOV, but is about 32mm FOV.. It is still fairly wide for groups. So, it is not too bad for indoor "on-board" flash.
Very true, but I'm worried that if I have that wide FOV, I'm going to want to use it and/or even begin to rely on it. That being said, I'm sure I could work around it, as that's what I'm doing now since I bought the 18-50mm, right? Haha.

So I'll just have to justify my decision with the constant f/2.8 of the 18-50. Yes, that's the reason I got it. Haha.

Thanks for the feedback and the reality check.
06-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #67
Adorama Camera Representative

That's very good to hear. I really like the new website, but having never bought used equipment from Adorama before, I never knew that the "old" used website provided more information. I'm sure you folks will get it all worked out and everything going perfectly. Redesigning a site like that can be a chore and half -- I feel your pain (and that of your web team).
Thanks for the f/back, which I've passed on to the web team.

If you get a chance, I'd like to thank you properly for your suggestion - could you possibly email me directly?

Many thanks : helen.oster@adoramacamera.com