Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just passed on a chance to get a K28/2

LBA lost this round. it's funny how situations,priorities and timing could divert LBA. 2 or 3 months ago, I would had jumped on this lens without hesitating. I had been looking for a faster 28mm for awhile now. but now I'm hesitant to get one unless it is priced around $150. I know that this lens could go for much more, and you would say that I would be kidding myself if I ask for such amount. it is a fantastic lens, that's for sure. and anyone would be all over this lens by now, including myself. but my K28/3.5 had grown on me. I know it's a stop and a half slower, but it's resolution is just outstanding that having two 28mm would be a crowd already. and I dont think one lens would get much used by then. maybe an AF would had worked on me, since I'm also looking for convenience as well at this focal length. but ultimately, I'm saving up the money for what I needed and could be a monster lens in the making. Hello Sigma 85.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 06-04-2010 at 08:31 AM.
06-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
LBA lost this round. it's funny how situations,priorities and timing could divert LBA. 2 or 3 months ago, I would had jumped on this lens without hesitating. I had been looking for a faster 28mm for awhile now. but now I'm hesitant to get one unless it is priced around $150. I know that this lens could go for much more, and you would say that I would be kidding myself if I ask for such amount. it is a fantastic lens, that's for sure. and anyone would be all over this lens by now, including myself. but my K28/3.5 had grown on me. I know it a stop and a half slower, but it's resolution is just outstanding that having two 28mm would be a crowd already. and I dont think one lens would get much used by then. maybe an AF would had worked on me, since I'm also looking for convenience as well at this focal length. but ultimately, I'm saving up the money for what I needed and could be a monster lens in the making. Hello Sigma 85.
How much was this K28/2? That's the one co-designed by Zeiss or whatever, you know, same as the hollywood distagon!
Last one I saw went for $455 US on eBay. And they don't come up much.

Then again the K28/3.5 is reputed to be even sharper and is a great lens as well. So you're set, but you're a stronger man than I am!
06-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LBA lost this round. it's funny how situations,priorities and timing could divert LBA. 2 or 3 months ago, I would had jumped on this lens without hesitating. I had been looking for a faster 28mm for awhile now. but now I'm hesitant to get one unless it is priced around $150. I know that this lens could go for much more, and you would say that I would be kidding myself if I ask for such amount. it is a fantastic lens, that's for sure. and anyone would be all over this lens by now, including myself. but my K28/3.5 had grown on me. I know it a stop and a half slower, but it's resolution is just outstanding that having two 28mm would be a crowd already. and I dont think one lens would get much used by then. maybe an AF would had worked on me, since I'm also looking for convenience as well at this focal length. but ultimately, I'm saving up the money for what I needed and could be a monster lens in the making. Hello Sigma 85.
Yes the one on Vancouver’s Craigslist, I also though about getting it for a second copy and resisted LBA!! (For $300 it’s a steal, of course there is never a picture posted, so you have no idea what shape it’s in)

You can never have enough lenses in the 28mm FL if you shoot film!! I have the K28/2, K28/3.5, K28/3.5 Shift and K30/2.8 and use them all and have favorites for different shooting situations. They are all great lenses.

Phil
06-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

$300? Jesus! Go get it! (assuming it's listed correctly)
Don't you see? SOMETIMES LBA IS RIGHT!!!

There's also a Voigtlander 90 for $390. C'mon dudes, get your LBA on!

06-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@farfisa, it's for $300 bucks. and yes, it is one of the lens that is co-designed by CZ, along with others.

@phil, I think I saw a photo of it before and if I'm not mistaken, a member of this forum is the one selling it, forgot who it was (maybe JH). same seller who retracted the listing some months ago. it's in good condition from the looks of it. I think you won't have much problem resisting LBA since you already secured a copy. if didn't have the K28/3.5, it would had been mine by now since it was posted yesterday morning when I do my usual morning routine of scouring the internet. but the new Sigma had my money pretty much held-up. it got a much tighter grip on my money compared to the K28/2. I hate the seller. lol.
06-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
$300? Jesus! Go get it! (assuming it's listed correctly)
Don't you see? SOMETIMES LBA IS RIGHT!!!

There's also a Voigtlander 90 for $390. C'mon dudes, get your LBA on!
I'll get them for half the price. but the Sigma carries much weight as of the moment. entice me more or give me an offer that I cant refuse.
06-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@farfisa, it's for $300 bucks. and yes, it is one of the lens that is co-designed by CZ, along with others.

@phil, I think I saw a photo of it before and if I'm not mistaken, a member of this forum is the one selling it, forgot who it was (maybe JH). same seller who retracted the listing some months ago. it's in good condition from the looks of it. I think you won't have much problem resisting LBA since you already secured a copy. if didn't have the K28/3.5, it would had been mine by now since it was posted yesterday morning when I do my usual morning routine of scouring the internet. but the new Sigma had my money pretty much held-up. it got a much tighter grip on my money compared to the K28/2. I hate the seller. lol.
For a brief moment I considered getting the Craigslist K28/2 even though I have one, just for the lens case! I know it’s sad but I’m missing the original case!!

Phil.

06-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

What I like of my K28/2: its superb close-focus performance (and there's where the floating element comes in).

I would have bought it in a heartbeat, but I won't as I already have one including the original case
06-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What I like of my K28/2: its superb close-focus performance (and there's where the floating element comes in).

I would have bought it in a heartbeat, but I won't as I already have one including the original case
I've pitted the K28/2 against A Vivitar 28CF/A1 and concluded the Viv to be better on all fronts except(perhaps) bokeh at or around f4. Otherwise.... the K holds no advantage. It's out for adjustments after which I'm going to sell it.
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I've pitted the K28/2 against A Vivitar 28CF/A1 and concluded the Viv to be better on all fronts except(perhaps) bokeh at or around f4. Otherwise.... the K holds no advantage. It's out for adjustments after which I'm going to sell it.
I agree with “Asahiflex” about the K28/2’s close-focus performance, it’s second to none. (I have most of the K series primes and it blows them all away, the only one that comes close is the K50/1.2) The close-up performance has nothing to do with using the lens wide open or the bokeh it produces. If you hit its sweet spot you get 3D effects which are amazing. Like the K50/1.2 you need to play around to find it’s strengths, just a straight-on sharpness test is not enough.

I do agree if you focus at infinity the K28/2 is not any better than the K28/3.5. The K28/2 is more of a specialty lens. The other use I found for the K28/2 is night shooting, the f2.0 maximum aperture makes it perfect.

Phil.

PS The Vancouver Craigslist K28/2 has been removed, so it must have sold.
06-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I agree with “Asahiflex” about the K28/2’s close-focus performance, it’s second to none. (I have most of the K series primes and it blows them all away, the only one that comes close is the K50/1.2) The close-up performance has nothing to do with using the lens wide open or the bokeh it produces. If you hit its sweet spot you get 3D effects which are amazing. Like the K50/1.2 you need to play around to find it’s strengths, just a straight-on sharpness test is not enough.
Against other Pentax primes(yes), that works.
Against the Vivitar 28/2.8, CF, then the results stand.
The Vivitar runs circles around the K 28/2, in close focus performance, size, sharpness, color and OOF rendering.

Did I miss anything

I guess what stands out in this(for me) is the size and price differences between the two products.
BTW. I payed 250'ish for my K28/2 about a year ago, and a 160 for the Vivitar. But the K2 was in pretty bad shape and so I think a better copy would be more in the range of 400'ish. With that in mind, I guess the only defense for owning one would be to complete a collection or something along those lines.

Last edited by JohnBee; 06-04-2010 at 02:20 PM.
06-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Against other Pentax primes(yes), that works.
Against the Vivitar 28/2.8, CF, then the results stand.
The Vivitar runs circles around the K 28/2, in close focus performance, size, sharpness, color and OOF rendering.

Did I miss anything

I guess what stands out in this(for me) is the size and price differences between the two products.
BTW. I payed 250'ish for my K28/2 about a year ago, and a 160 for the Vivitar.
Yep you missed speed. f2.0 is one stop faster than f2.8, which will add greatly to the cost and size. The extra speed does make a difference and a brighter view finder. I also bet the Pentax is better built.

Phil.
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I do agree if you focus at infinity the K28/2 is not any better than the K28/3.5. The K28/2 is more of a specialty lens. The other use I found for the K28/2 is night shooting, the f2.0 maximum aperture makes it perfect.

Phil.

PS The Vancouver Craigslist K28/2 has been removed, so it must have sold.
Phil, this is true and I fully agree that this is more of a specialty lens at the wide end for close-up shots. honestly I prefer it better than the FA31 due to the 3mm difference which makes a lot of difference in such specialty shots. the fast aperture speed really makes the image stand out.

I also do affirm that it is not better than the k28/3.5 at infinity or at equal aperture speed. the slower version is not that bad for close-up shots either, good bokeh and is fantastic to use as well. the strongest point of the K28/3.5 is for architectures and landscapes or anything to do with solid background. while the K28/2 is a specialty normal portrait lens. I wish Pentax would make an FA LTD 28/2 or better 28/1.4. but for now, I will go for what I really needed and wanted >>> a fast AF 85.

p.s. I would guess it was sold yesterday. maybe ajuett got it by now and started getting photos that would be posted here later on.
06-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yep you missed speed. f2.0 is one stop faster than f2.8, which will add greatly to the cost and size. The extra speed does make a difference and a brighter view finder. I also bet the Pentax is better built.

Phil.
Agreed on the extra stop. Though it's not very nice at f2 either and the Viv 28 wide open even seemed to edge it out.

Both lenses are all metal construction, and the 28/2 is huge in comparison. Which leaves me wondering why the K is to damned big(lol).

Anyways, mines out to get cleaned and adjusted, perhaps when it gets back it will spring to life. We'll see, but I have my doubts.
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #15

Yes the one on Vancouver’s Craigslist, I also though about getting it for a second copy and resisted LBA!! (For $300 it’s a steal, of course there is never a picture posted, so you have no idea what shape it’s in)

You can never have enough lenses in the 28mm FL if you shoot film!! I have the K28/2, K28/3.5, K28/3.5 Shift and K30/2.8 and use them all and have favorites for different shooting situations. They are all great lenses.

Phil
Would have made an offer for the K28/2 but I already have an A28/2.8 that is just sitting in the closet -- the focal length isn't right for me and prefer the tighter framing with the M35/2. I'm using digital only mind you.