Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This is what he wants, although my own experience is that 24mm on film was just not wide enough. Maybe that is just me.
And me, too. That's why I have the DA 12-24 (18~36) as well as the DA* 16-50. (24~75). Just often enough to be annoying, there is nowhere to back up to in the mountains. Also just as annoying is to look at my library of photo books (all film but for two) and see the 18 or 20mm shots with the eye-popping perspective to be achieved with a foreground item showing how deep the view really is, like this one with the DA 12-24 at 12mm.

06-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
Get her a point and shoot ..
First of all guys, It is for my Wife. Second I do realize that the 15 or 14 primes would do the trick along with the 12-24 zoom. I like them all but I have been informed by Her that the 24 mm film lens we own is fine for her, for now. I do think She will one day own the 14 or the 12 -24. This thread was supposed to be about which does better Prime or Zoom and not about what I (the husband) already knows and has used. I too loved the sharp vistas given to me by a 20 rectilinear on film. I think the 12 could render that but not to sure about the rectilinear part. At least I have a wife that likes SLR and likes great DOF plus hates little P&S $100 cameras from Wal-Mart. Luckily only one has ever been purchased in our household, by me(shame) in late '07 for traveling to our son's Army graduation from his advanced school. It works but give me a real viewfinder any day!!
06-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 12-24 distortion example

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I think the 12 could render that but not to sure about the rectilinear part.
Here are two samples from my DA 12-24mm at 12mm @ f/4 on building interiors. Both are straight out of the camera, rendered to JPEG using Lightroom 2.7. There is keystone distortion but there is so little barrel/pincushion distortion that I am constantly astonished at how good this sweet little lens is, even at 12mm. Notice how straight the walls are in both of these shots.

Interior of Frank Slide Interpretive Centre, Crowsnest Pass, Alberta, Canada. 12mm, ISO 200, 1/6" @ f/4.

Interior of Post Office, Bar U Ranch National Historic Site, Alberta. 12mm, ISO 400, 1/10" @ f/4, hand held. PS, the model is a lady I met in October, 1964. Somehow we are still together. As the old joke goes, we have never considered divorce. Murder, yes, divorce, no.

06-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Canada!

Yes those images show no fish eye. I think she would like the photos from that lens. Now if I can just get her comfortable with a zoom lens.............

06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Yes those images show no fish eye. I think she would like the photos from that lens. Now if I can just get her comfortable with a zoom lens.............
She can just set it to 12mm or 24mm and forget it. Reviewing my images with this lens, I tend to use either end more than anything in between.
06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the DA15 here. I really, really like mine a lot. I just got back from a three day bike trip into the SE Utah desert and the 15 was the only lens I used.

06-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is a beautiful picture of the scenic view. Exactly what my wife wants to see.