Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wide-angle Prime OR Zoom

I am so tempted by both the prime and zoom Pentax lenses for the digital bodies. A consideration for me is that my wife does not like messing with the zoom function. She wants to set the lens on infinity and shoot. BUT she hates the fish eye look and so thinks the 14mm or 15mm primes will give a fisheye look on prints. I know from my reading that the 16 to 45 zoom does not fisheye, I think. I am looking for users who have these lenses and can tell me about their images. I Also am open to information on other brands such as Sigma, or others.

06-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While all wide-angle lenses have a little bit of distortion, none of them are fisheyes unless labeled so.

I'd recommend a wide zoom over a prime, as with the prime, you'll find yourself switching lenses a lot (which wouldn't be true for longer primes, typically).
06-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take into consideration that wide-angle zooms are big and heavy. I have the DA12-24 and it's great, except for the fact that it's just too big and heavy for my liking. Though I must say my lenses are usually of the small kind, so I'm not sure if it'll be as important to you (or your wife) as it is to me. Also, I hope you have enough space in your bag for the enormous lenshood.
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
While all wide-angle lenses have a little bit of distortion, none of them are fisheyes unless labeled so.

I'd recommend a wide zoom over a prime, as with the prime, you'll find yourself switching lenses a lot (which wouldn't be true for longer primes, typically).
Thanks Adam. Not all photographers are alike and my wife loves scenic photography plus candid snapshot. She does not like the 18-55 zoom for she feels it isn't wide enough and she has to remember that it has a zoom ring. Plus she has told me she wants something like the old 24 mm film lens where she just left it at infinity since everything she was photographing was beyond 10 feet from her. So she didn't have to focus or wait for auto focus, just shoot away. Let me tell you the woman could go through film like you wouldn't believe. After our Wyoming trip in '04 I decided a digital was necessary since I didn't have an infinite film developing budget, 60 rolls to develop that she shot from the trip!

06-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Maybe I wasn't clear, I think i must get a prime focal length lens for her use that has no fisheye distortion.
06-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you want a 24mm equivalent, I suggest you take a look at the DA15mm. People in this thread will tell you all about it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86234-15mm-lim...s-my-mind.html
06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I am so tempted by both the prime and zoom Pentax lenses for the digital bodies. A consideration for me is that my wife does not like messing with the zoom function. She wants to set the lens on infinity and shoot. BUT she hates the fish eye look and so thinks the 14mm or 15mm primes will give a fisheye look on prints. I know from my reading that the 16 to 45 zoom does not fisheye, I think. I am looking for users who have these lenses and can tell me about their images. I Also am open to information on other brands such as Sigma, or others.
Another vote for the DA15mm Limited - take a look at the thread linked above. Can't imagine anyone who likes WA would be disappointed with the DA15 As for distortion:

06-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
If you want a 24mm equivalent, I suggest you take a look at the DA15mm. People in this thread will tell you all about it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86234-15mm-lim...s-my-mind.html
I love the images but I am suffering sticker shock. Anyone know of a somewhat less expensive 14 to 16 prime focal length lens?
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
I love the images but I am suffering sticker shock. Anyone know of a somewhat less expensive 14 to 16 prime focal length lens?
The DA15 does turn up in the marketplace here, but they never last long Usually around 450.00. Adorama's current price is 499 (when you put it in the basket the proper price turns up). Offhand I can't think of any WA primes that cost much less, anyone? WA primes are an area where we can't go back into legacy lenses - they didn't need to make an SMC-M 15mm for film cameras :P You want APS-C wide angle, you gotta get a newer lens unfortunately.

I should add, the Limited lenses don't lose their market value (they actually increase - the DA40 is more expensive used now than it was new when it first came out). Buying one isn't much of a risk because you can always resell it for very near the cost you paid. Not that your wife will let the DA15 Ltd. off her camera once she has it These limited lenses are a primary cause of LBA, they are just fantastic quality from build to optics to little winged faeries that bring you the lens straight from the aether
06-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The DA 14mm, but it's only marginally cheaper.
06-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anything Sigma?

I have seen a 20 mm f1.8 by Sigma not real wide but they also make a 10- 20? Anyone have opinion on these Lenses?
06-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
Inactive Account

The DA 14mm does not look cheaper than the DA 15mm to me. If the DA 14 was cheaper than the DA 15 i'd probably own it by now.

The Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 sounds like a fun lens to use. It's cheaper than the 12-24, but then 5.6 is quite slow at 20mm. On the other hand you have an extra 2mm with the Sigma. I'm not really sure which lens has the best control when it comes to CA. Have a look in the lens review section for more of an idea.
06-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh I see, it is in my part of the woods.

The Sigma WA zooms have a good reputation, but I've never once held one, so I wouldn't really know.
06-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wide angles all have some distortion. That is to say, straight lines at the corners tend to lean somewhat. It depends on the lens as to how much it does it. The DA 12-24 seems to have very well controlled distortion. On the other hand, it is a very large lens. As far as primes, the DA 14 and DA 15 are both great lenses, with the DA 15 getting more love recently due to its smaller size. The DA 21 is cheaper, but of course it isn't so wide either.

Has your wife every thought about shooting panoramas? That is another way to get a lot into a photo without having such a wide angle.
06-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Panoramas

No she hasn't not have I. She wants to point and shoot But have a choice of lenses without having to use the pesky zoom ring. She has explained how she wants the photos she takes to look and the above is the best translation. Also she hates a point and shoot cameras because she is not looking through the lens at exactly what will be in the photo. She wants the wide view without line distortion and without PP either. Her cake baked, iced, served with a napkin and time to eat it.