Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA*24mm is amazing... now where to get one?

I've been borrowing and playing with a friend's FA*24 F/2 and it is an AMAZING lens. Believe it or not, I think I like the perspective better than the FA31's "crop normal" perspective.

The only thing is, being a discontinued lens, where else (other than the Pentax marketplace) can I get one? Are there any particular online stores that may carry it?

Also, if I can't find an FA*24, curious if there are alternatives out there that are nearly as fast? I remember there being a Sigma 24 F1.8 but I heard its discontinued...

06-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com had a lot of used ones last month. Don't know where they all went?
06-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These lenses surface in our Marketplace, as well as on eBay, once in a while. Just keep your eyes open and you should be able to get one eventually!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Jon, if you dont mind shooting at slow aperture, why don't you try the DA15 or DA12-24? both lenses are fun to use for experimental portraits as well. not to mention you can focus closer to your subject. very good especially for subjects with strong background.

06-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I've been borrowing and playing with a friend's FA*24 F/2 and it is an AMAZING lens. Believe it or not, I think I like the perspective better than the FA31's "crop normal" perspective.

The only thing is, being a discontinued lens, where else (other than the Pentax marketplace) can I get one? Are there any particular online stores that may carry it?

Also, if I can't find an FA*24, curious if there are alternatives out there that are nearly as fast? I remember there being a Sigma 24 F1.8 but I heard its discontinued...
I've owned this lens, and I can confirm with you that 24mm in the crop sensor to me also appeared to be the most perfect perspective.

The IQ is wonderful, and even at f2 the sharpness is more than acceptable. But, it wasn't as good as the FA43 and FA77 I had. I bought the 35/2 along with the FA24/2 to see whether I can be satisfied with that combo. At the end I sold both and bought the FA31/1.8 and now I feel like order is restored in the universe.

I do miss the 24mm perspective (WOW!, WOW!)....but, the 31/1.8 rendering makes me forget it. I am hoping Pentax will announce a fast 24 LIMITED in photokina in Sept.

The 24/2 comes for sale here and in ebay quite often. Sigma's are nice, but they rarely can be true alternatives to Pentax glass though (rare exceptions might be the 50/1.4 and the 100-300 F4).