Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Redmond, Oregon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 228
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Ok, so I undersand using a tilt/shift to remove the camera reflection from an image, and I understand that they can be used to correct perspective distortion in architectural images (althoug I don't fully understand how it works). Now, can someone explain to me why the tilt/shift was used for the image Ben posted, and why a conventional lens couldn't be used?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
If I remember correctly (and I may be quite wrong), you can use a tilt/shift lens to alter the focal plane of the image. In the image Ben posted, to me it looks as if the face is in focus, and the feet and hands are not (I think that means the focal plane was "tilted" forward or backward at an angle rather than remaining vertical like in a conventional lens)

Of course, I could be wrong...if so please feel free to bombard me with wet spaghetti or something.

08-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #17
Senior Member
c.r.brown's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 214




These and more by Tommy Oshima...
08-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 212
I think I understand how Ben used the lens in the image. He shot the model from straight on, but altered the focus plane to be on an angle, as if he was shooting from above or below, with the camera angled towards the model? By doing so, he was able to selectively focus only on the face. Have I got this right?
08-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Original Poster
Opposite

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Ok, so I undersand using a tilt/shift to remove the camera reflection from an image, and I understand that they can be used to correct perspective distortion in architectural images (althoug I don't fully understand how it works). Now, can someone explain to me why the tilt/shift was used for the image Ben posted, and why a conventional lens couldn't be used?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Although normally used to rectify perspective, I loved to play with the lens and use it for the opposite of its' intended use. That is blow out the legs and keeping the torso in focus on a parallel plane. That was a Canon 45mm TS lens.

Ben

08-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Original Poster
Yes

QuoteOriginally posted by Jester_rm Quote
If I remember correctly (and I may be quite wrong), you can use a tilt/shift lens to alter the focal plane of the image. In the image Ben posted, to me it looks as if the face is in focus, and the feet and hands are not (I think that means the focal plane was "tilted" forward or backward at an angle rather than remaining vertical like in a conventional lens)

Of course, I could be wrong...if so please feel free to bombard me with wet spaghetti or something.
Yes exactly...Either way will work. The distortion will differ somewhat. But I did focus on the eyes and used extreme tilt shift at around f5.6.

Here is another example.

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #21
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leeds, NE UK
Posts: 220
that lens just looks so darn hardcore! i'm researching this now, the theory behind it is very interesting. so are there no T/S lenses widely available for the k10d?
08-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
that lens just looks so darn hardcore! i'm researching this now, the theory behind it is very interesting. so are there no T/S lenses widely available for the k10d?
All the Hartblei lenses are suitable for the K10D, you just get the K mount version. If you want to use them on another make, get the M42 screw version and suitable adaptors.

The Super Rotator mount is far superior to most of the other T&S mounts. The only other one that has more flexibility is the Novoflex T/S balpro bellows plus a lens, which costs over $2000!
Novoflex BALPRO T/S Bellows

Hartblei offer great optics at affordable prices (compared to C & N) apart from the Zeiss lenses which are still comparable in price to C&N but I suspect considerably better in IQ.

If you look for Hartblei on E-bay, DVD Technik sells them there at lower prices, around $420. Here's the link for the 80mm. I bought via Yurily at DVD Technik, very comunicative and helpful. All the others are available through him as well.
Camera Pentax K MC Hartblei 2,8/80 Tilt-Shift Lens on eBay For 35mm SLR, Film Camera Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (item 170097184321 end time 28-Aug-07 09:14:35 BST)
08-08-2007, 02:13 AM   #23
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Yes exactly...Either way will work. The distortion will differ somewhat. But I did focus on the eyes and used extreme tilt shift at around f5.6.

Here is another example.

Ben
Hi Ben

For your K10D, I would suggest the Hartblei S/R 35mm f2.8 would be perfect for you, the FOV would be similar to the Canon 45mm on the 1D.

HARTBLEI 35mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens | HARTBLEI

For a guy like you, I suspect that you'll want, and naturally can afford, the very best, then the Zeiss set is tailor made for you!

Hartblei Set 40/80/120 mm

08-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member
barbosas's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lisbon
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 683
Thank you all for your explanations
08-08-2007, 04:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Myanmar
Posts: 515
To see how you can use Tilt/Shift lenses creatively, visit the Website from this Japanese guy named Jyune, it's amazing:

the bitter*girls

Cheers,

Abbazz
08-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #26
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ont, Canada.
Posts: 563
I am curious if Ben has tried a lensbaby yet.

I was thinking of getting something like this, but still undecided.
08-09-2007, 03:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Original Poster
Prices

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Hi Ben

For your K10D, I would suggest the Hartblei S/R 35mm f2.8 would be perfect for you, the FOV would be similar to the Canon 45mm on the 1D.

HARTBLEI 35mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens | HARTBLEI

For a guy like you, I suspect that you'll want, and naturally can afford, the very best, then the Zeiss set is tailor made for you!

Hartblei Set 40/80/120 mm
Where can I order the 35mm?

Thanks in Advance
Ben
08-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Myanmar
Posts: 515
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Where can I order the 35mm?

Thanks in Advance
Ben
Ben,

I have the Arax Tilt/Shift 35mm lens. The lens is the same as the Hartblei (not very good wide open) with a different tilt/shift mechanism. Here is the link:
Arax Photo | Specials | MC ARAX 2.8/35mm Tilt & Shift lens

According to the webpage, the lens doesn't seem to be available now from the factory. Maybe you could try Rugift (more expensive):
MC 35 mm Tilt & Shift Pentax lens

Cheers,

Abbazz

Edit: The Hartblei lenses are distributed by Kiev Camera:
Kiev Camera

Last edited by Abbazz; 08-09-2007 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Add new link
08-10-2007, 01:53 AM   #29
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Ben,

I have the Arax Tilt/Shift 35mm lens. The lens is the same as the Hartblei (not very good wide open) with a different tilt/shift mechanism. Here is the link:
Arax Photo | Specials | MC ARAX 2.8/35mm Tilt & Shift lens

According to the webpage, the lens doesn't seem to be available now from the factory. Maybe you could try Rugift (more expensive):
MC 35 mm Tilt & Shift Pentax lens

Cheers,

Abbazz

Edit: The Hartblei lenses are distributed by Kiev Camera:
Kiev Camera
I beg to differ, The Arax 35mm T&S, nor the one from Rugfit, isn't the same lens or mount as the Hartblei.

Here is the Arax
Arax Photo | Specials | MC ARAX 2.8/35mm Tilt & Shift lens

Here is the Hartblei
HARTBLEI 35mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens | HARTBLEI

Considerable differences, both in the lens and the mount. The Arax lens may have been mounted into the Hartblei Super Rotator mount at onetime, however the current lens is a new 12 blade aperture design.
08-10-2007, 01:56 AM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gloucester UK
Posts: 441
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Where can I order the 35mm?

Thanks in Advance
Ben
Hi Ben

You can order by e-mailing Hartblei, details here:
HARTBLEI & Kiev Cameras and Lenses - Ordering | HARTBLEI

Pricing here:
Price List - HARTBLEI & Kiev Cameras and Lenses | HARTBLEI#

I bought my 80mm from DVD Tecnik at a good price, you could try mailing them to see if they can do the same for the 35mm
DVDTechnik :: Rare:: Camera :: Lens :: Accessories :: Adapter
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, shift, slr lens, tilt
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tilt - shift chromo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 03-05-2010 09:13 PM
the magic of tilt shift redpigeons Photographic Industry and Professionals 13 05-16-2009 10:50 PM
My first fake tilt-shift pontusadefjord Post Your Photos! 5 04-27-2009 11:07 AM
Tilt/Shift simulation 7.62lew Post Your Photos! 9 06-24-2008 11:27 AM
Tilt/Shift and Shift lens Thingo Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 11-16-2006 05:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top