Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tilt Shift

Why I love Tilt Shift Lenses...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
08-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

too bad pentax doesnt have one.... I guess they never did... only a shift one
08-06-2007, 01:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hello Ben

I am looking since quite some time to get a tilt/shift lens for my K10D. What options are there for Pentax cameras?

Pentax made once a shift lens, but is hard to find now. Are there any other option you could recommend?
08-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't Know

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Hello Ben

I am looking since quite some time to get a tilt/shift lens for my K10D. What options are there for Pentax cameras?

Pentax made once a shift lens, but is hard to find now. Are there any other option you could recommend?
I really don't know. I haven't inquired. Perhaps I will look in to this question.

Thanks
Ben

08-06-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Are there any other option you could recommend?
Hartblei super rotators. I think a few people on here have one of the few that they do. Will probably need an adapter though

HARTBLEI 45mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens | HARTBLEI
08-06-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hartblei have a range fitted to their excellent SuperRotator mount - 35mm 65mm 80mm and 120mm.

HARTBLEI Shift & Tilt-Shift Lenses | HARTBLEI

They've also fitted new Zeiss lenses to the same mount at a very high price!

Hartblei Set 40/80/120 mm

I have the standard 80mm f2.8.

The lens is based on an early Zeiss design, and is very sharp, it has a bit of flare when shooting into strong back lighting at small apertures. Not a problem under studio conditions. The 65 and 35mm appear to be better in this respect.

All T&S lenses are fully manual, even the Canon ones.
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Looks like a very interesting lens Richard..

have you got any samople shots?
08-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can someone explain what a tilt/shift lens is?

08-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Looks like a very interesting lens Richard..

have you got any samople shots?
I have some very boring product shots of electronic and electrical items, they are not very useful in judging what the lens can do artistically, I use it with the shift and tilt to get the camera way of axis to eliminate any reflections of the camera (and me!) on reflective surfaces, impossible when using a conventional lens, here is an example.

I have some other stuff on file in my archives. I will dig something out that shows before and after shots which are more instructive, plus I have some normal shots taken with it somewhere. I don't use it much for my normal stuff.
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There is a shift adaptor for Pentacon-6(Kiev60) to PK on ebay. So essentially you can shift adapted Kiev60 mount lenses. Probably the most economical choice before the purchase of a hartblei tilt shift which can easily cost you $300-400.
08-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I have some other stuff on file in my archives. I will dig something out that shows before and after shots which are more instructive, plus I have some normal shots taken with it somewhere. I don't use it much for my normal stuff.
Anything you can dig out will be a great help Richard.

I have touched the tilt and shift briefly a good, good while back, a canon I think.

But yeah the more you can dig out the better, this is the first in production tilt/shift lens line workable on pentax I have seen.... but if it delivers it would be a good addition to the line up for the work I have been doing lately.
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #12

Ok, so I undersand using a tilt/shift to remove the camera reflection from an image, and I understand that they can be used to correct perspective distortion in architectural images (althoug I don't fully understand how it works). Now, can someone explain to me why the tilt/shift was used for the image Ben posted, and why a conventional lens couldn't be used?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
08-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Ok, so I undersand using a tilt/shift to remove the camera reflection from an image, and I understand that they can be used to correct perspective distortion in architectural images (althoug I don't fully understand how it works). Now, can someone explain to me why the tilt/shift was used for the image Ben posted, and why a conventional lens couldn't be used?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
If you look at Ben's shot, the model's face area is sharp wheras much of the rest above and below are out of focus. Ben has used the tilt to shift the plane of focus from a flat vertical plane, to an angled plane to get that effect.

You can use T&S lenses to get great depth of field or indeed the reverse, to create out of focus effects, you can also use them to get very accurate stitched panoramic effects.

Take a look at these pages from the Hartblei site, it may help,
Technical Information on Hartblei Lenses (Part 1)
HARTBLEI Shift & Tilt-Shift Lenses - Advices and Examples | HARTBLEI

This is also a useful example test page, scroll down to see an example of perspective control
Hartblei Super-Rotator 35mm f/2.8 MC

There are many articles on T&S and the Scheimpflug effect, Google for it.

Here is the Wikipedia link
Scheimpflug principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
08-07-2007, 03:36 AM   #14

Tilt Shift - LBA?

That is really interesting gear, would love to have one.... can see a huge impact on architectural shooting.

Thanks for all for the interesting posts.

Phil
08-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #15

Thanks for the explanation Richard, and the links. Looks like I have some reading ahead.

I had a Scheimpflug effect once after a weekend of partying, but I think that was something different