Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Advice wanted - Loose aperture blade Sigma 17-70mm

I recently noticed a loose aperture blade on my Sigma 17-70.

Here are a few pictures of how it looks with small, medium and large aperture:

Of course my next move will be to check with the store where I bought it to see how much they would charge to repair it, but I guess it will be very expensive compared to what the lens is worth.

Anyone had the same issue with a lens?

Is it possible to repair yourself? Anyone here who has tried it?

I can still use it but the macros at 70mm doesn't seem sharp anymore. Looks like shorter focal lengths works better so maybe I can live with this and only take pictures with small aperture or something until I have decided what to do.
But I really miss the macro function.....hmmmm....both the DA*16-50 and the DFA100 WR aren't really in my budget right now.

What lens(es) would you replace it with?

/Tommy

06-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've read that Sigma has a three year warranty in Europe. Have you looked into the warranty to see if your lens is still covered?

Thank you
Russell
06-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommy Quote
Is it possible to repair yourself? Anyone here who has tried it?
I have no experience with this particular lens, but in camera lenses, the aperture is pretty much in the middle of everything. The general repair process is to start at one end (probably the back) and remove everything until you get to the blades. The actual repair will take seconds as you snap the blade back in place, or be impossible because some part is broken. Then reassembly.
06-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I've read that Sigma has a three year warranty in Europe. Have you looked into the warranty to see if your lens is still covered?

Thank you
Russell
No I haven't but I will. Unfortunately, it has now been 3 years and 4 months (of course!!) since I bought it so I doubt there is any chance there. But thanks for the tip anyway.

/Tommy

06-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have no experience with this particular lens, but in camera lenses, the aperture is pretty much in the middle of everything. The general repair process is to start at one end (probably the back) and remove everything until you get to the blades. The actual repair will take seconds as you snap the blade back in place, or be impossible because some part is broken. Then reassembly.
OK, sounds like something I will only attempt when the replacement is already there and there is no other hope for this lens.

Anyone with experience and interest to attempt this in Europe (preferably in Sweden or Germany)?

/Tommy
06-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

check again, in Canada Sigma offers 5 years of warranty. Even if yours is just out of warranty coverage, it might still be repaired.

This is something I've never actually seen, nor heard about. Interesting in itself... I assume, like Dave said.
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any progress here?
I have the exact same problem with my Sigma 17-70.
is it doable at home?
kind regards
jack