Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Why I love screwmount

Just thought I'd share a feeling I have, with you guys.
I've never been into digital, apart from the fact that my wife & I use a Canon Powershot for everyday use.
I started off with screwmount years ago, then "graduated" to an LX, with "K" & "A" lenses, then lost interest, & sold the lot!
I've now regained my interest, I've got my black Spotmatic 11 "out of the cupboard", & am starting to use it again....it'll take me a long time to "get used to it", but I'm enjoying "playing around" again.
Why am I using "the old stuff"? (I could afford digital if I felt the need!).... I guess, because I like the feel of it!!...my Spotmatic 11 is in excellent condition....no brassing etc....and the meter appears to work ok when readings are compared against a Lunasfix.
The SP11 just feels good to hold....Whilst it doesn't have any modern day "mod cons" & for sure is pretty basic, I think it's still pretty special......and I feel good using it.
Anybody else have similar feelings?
Cheers, Pickles.

06-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, I started out 35 years ago with a spot.II, had my own wet room. Lost track of my hobby due to circumstances. Last year bought a k20d with nice new glass. Guess what. I bought the original pentax adapter and am now using a whole bunch of old takumars. Like it a lot and understand your feeling. I confess I've tweaked my k20d to act as much as possible as my old spotmatic. Though I like the touch of old carton black and whites, there is also joy in endless experimenting with old taks and presets with instant results on screen. Thanks to internet I now also have old zeisses and meyers. All m42. 'Sigh. Have fun!
06-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I'm probably termed a geek (working in software development) but I still love the screw mount lenses.
I have 3 at the moment and fully intend to expand my collection when the opportunity arises. I use them with a K adaptor on my K-x.
My favourite (despite not top reviews) at the moment is the SMC 135 f3.5. Like the focal length and just LOVE the feel of the focus and apperture rings!

The old M42 lenses certainly do have a great feel about them and still great quality too.
06-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Screwmount, and Takumars in particular, is why I love Pentax.

06-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like it so much that I ordered my LensBaby 2.0 in screwmount so I could use it with my old Pentax film bodies....and to avoid the hassle of having to remove my adapter on my K20D, since Takumars are just about all I use anyway.

And don't knock the venerable ESII for its lack of modern conveniences; Pentax would do well to reintroduce the viewfinder curtain feature.
06-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

No argument here, except even though I have 4 Spotties, I don't have any compulsion to work in film any more.
06-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I think Pentax should bring back the *ist D body with an m42 mount and the k200d sensor and minus the AF. Leave the size, ttl features, dual dials on it. They could call it the Spotmatic D. This would minimize R&D costs and they could use mostly existing tooling to do run of 25,000 bodies for us screwy people.
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I could go for that. I still want a Pentax DSLR but I am really getting into the few Takumar M42 lenses I have too. I'm looking all over for a good SP2 because I want to upgrade a bit from my SP1, but I'm surprisingly happy experimenting with these lenses. They're so much sharper than what's on my digital that they're a lot fun to use. Right now I only have the 105MM (LOVE this lens.) and a 50MM, but I mean to get me at least a macro and a 200MM Takumar zoom too at some point.

I want both I think, an updated screwmount SLR and a DSLR at some point. I don't see why not. I think they would compliment each other very well. The main reason I am not going after a K mount camera even though they are far more common here locally is because I am holding out for the M42 mount sans using any adapters.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think Pentax should bring back the *ist D body with an m42 mount and the k200d sensor and minus the AF. Leave the size, ttl features, dual dials on it. They could call it the Spotmatic D. This would minimize R&D costs and they could use mostly existing tooling to do run of 25,000 bodies for us screwy people.

06-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Why I love Pentax Screwmount . . .

Why I love German screwmount . . .

That's all I have to say about that . . .

06-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Ding, Ding! The prize goes to Blue!

And for the rest of us, how about one with a non-crippled K-mount version too. With the AF gone, there should be room for the "follower" lever.

Steve
06-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Prior to join this forum I was none the wiser .... and as I do frequent other forums and love reading up on stuff. I put the blame purely on Mike Cash and JSherman for my collection of M42 equipment.

I am one that started off in digital ... and worked my way from AF to MF ... and into Film (which i really need to get back into and have a good go at).

I mainly shoot AF as my son is on the go and is hard to capture .... but I really enjoy shooting the Taks ... as I know I am going to at least get something special out of them.

I really miss getting out and shooting though ... life has just been so busy at the moment that I just haven't had a chance.
06-06-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

After switching from film (Minolta X700) to digital (Pentax K10D), I lost interest/fun in photography. M42 Takumars on the K10D brought back the fun in photography. Using that old glass on a modern camera hust gives a kick.
06-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Indeed, a digital spotmatic, that would be the thing to use. Two dials, yes. Imagine indeed, a spotmatic with iso to choose from per image. Whatever else to need.
Recently my husband bought a scanner, maybe I should buy film again and develop and ... scan. Need my spotmatic serviced.
Direct screwmount attachment and no adapter needed, yes. Still don't want no split focussing screen, no. Plain matte, please, no distractions! Clarity on the whole screen. That should do it for me. Dream on all of us.
06-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #14

I love my Takumars so much that, after buying the K10D, the BIG day for me was when my cousin brought me from Bucharest the pentax mount adapter k.

My list of screwmounts: Super-Tak 35mm 3.5, SMC Tak 50mm 1.4, S-M-C Tak 105mm 2.8, S-M-C 150mm 4, S-M-C Tak 300mm 4, MC Revuenon 135mm 2.8 and a Helios 44-2 58mm 2. These lenses don't need a warranty certificate, you can feel they are made to last. The Takumars are my Manual Focus LIMITEDs.

Good light to you all

Dani
06-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So it's 2.3 years ago, and I have an inheritance (Thanks for dying, Mom!) and a desire to step up from my Sony DSC-V1. Long ago I used film -- the Olympus Pen-FT system, and various Canon RF's and Yashica MF's and other stuff -- but that's all gone, I can inherit (from another source) Minolta SLRs, but I do my research and end up with a K20D and a basic AF set. And then I learn about screwmounts...

So now I have ~65 M42's and M39's, and while the AF zooms are great in dynamic conditions, it's the MF's that force me to look and see and think and move. So I have nice sets of Takumars and Meyers and Russians and Vivitars and various oddities, and I feel much enriched by the effort of using them. Life shouldn't be too easy. Photography shouldn't be too easy. Work at it.