Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
Nubi

Takumar 300/4 M42

I picked up a copy today in Tokyo for about $160 us. This was probably the cleanest Takumar lens I have ever seen. Is it a fair deal? This was a SMC with automatic aperture switch thing. I just cannot get over how clean this copy is. It looks NEW.

Last edited by Nubi; 06-06-2010 at 06:51 AM.
06-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the lens you picked up is a pretty good deal in my opinion.

I believe it is very similar to the SMC Pentax (K-mount) version, which is excellent.

You should enjoy using this for wild life as this lens offers about the best bang for the buck.

A word of caution however, try to avoid backlight and high contrast shots as it is prone to a little purple fringing and CA, as all lenses of that vintage are.
06-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the lens you picked up is a pretty good deal in my opinion.

I believe it is very similar to the SMC Pentax (K-mount) version, which is excellent.

You should enjoy using this for wild life as this lens offers about the best bang for the buck.

A word of caution however, try to avoid backlight and high contrast shots as it is prone to a little purple fringing and CA, as all lenses of that vintage are.
I think so too.
I owned a K(awhile back) and it was mint(even smelled new).
Unfortunately... CA and PF really limited it's performance on a digital camera. So I traded it up with someone for two smaller lenses. I sort of regret it now because I'm only missing a few lenses to complete my K collection. And this is one of them
06-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a good price according to the database. See Pentax Lens Review Database - S-M-C/Super Takumar 300mm F4 Lens Reviews.

Guess I was lucky with between US$65 and US$100 for the Super version (ZAR650). Only problem on mine is that the lenshood hangs a bit when extended causing vignetting and fringing. But a strip of paper solved that.

06-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Nubi

Thanks guys.

I am in Japan on vacation, and did not bring m M42 mount, so it will have to wait until I get home to try it out.

I will try to post the pic, but this thing is so clean. Even the lens cap looks new!!