Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Is there an adapter for Minolta AF lens on a Pentax Body?

Don't kick me off of here for the suggestion. Just picked up a 1 month old K-X with a 18-55mm DAL for a good price. I was thinking of going Sony Because I have a Minolta 50mm 1.7 prime and a 70-210 4 "beercan". I chose the Pentax because of the features, price and excellent glass. I got the Minolta lenses from my grandfather about 14 years ago before he died. Both are in perfect condition. I would like to use them for sentimental reasons and the fact I only have the 18-55 for the K-X right now. Not opposed to selling them if they don't work.

I know I'm going to invest in glass in the future, but would like to know if there is an adaptor to make the Minolta's work on the K-X. Looks like you can put the Pentax lenses on just about anything but I can't find an adapter for the Minolta to Pentax. Perhaps because this adapter dosen't exist.

06-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunatelly I don't think it's possible to use Minolta AF lenses with adapter on K mount bodies. I believe that the registration distance is different and you'd have to do some serious hacking/shaving and fit new bayonet to make it fit and then you'd loose AF and AE (If I'm wrong on this, please somebody correct me.... ). So I'd suggest you to sell them and use the earned money for Pentax or K mount glass.....
06-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The register distance for Minolta AF (44.6mm) is slightly shorter than Pentax (45.46mm) and Nikon (46.5mm) and a bit longer than Canon glass. Longer-register lenses can work (with infinity focus) on shorter-register cameras, but not vice-versa. Shorter-register lenses CAN work with an optical adapter, essentially a short teleconverter, but image quality suffers. I've had to sacrifice Minolta AF glass for just this reason -- and it has little value now. I just sold mint-condition Minolta Maxxum 7000, 28/2.8 and 2x TC for US$30, and I felt lucky to get that much.

EDIT: I just did a quick search. Here's an eBay listing for a Minolta-Maxxum-Pentax-Screw-Lens-Adapter that may indeed fit lens to camera, but with loss of AF and AE. I know nothing about it. Good luck.

2nd EDIT: Ooops. That adapter is for mounting M42's on Minoltas, not the other way around. Sorry.

Last edited by RioRico; 06-06-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: correction
06-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
My friend, which has a Canon DSLR, is thinking about getting into film photography. By looking at the prices, the Minolta system really is the way to go for him, great glass and good cameras for dumping prices really.

06-06-2010, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vsl3-e Quote
My friend, which has a Canon DSLR, is thinking about getting into film photography. By looking at the prices, the Minolta system really is the way to go for him, great glass and good cameras for dumping prices really.
Right now is the best time in history to buy great 35mm cameras, and is also the WORST time to SELL them. I inherited some superb Minolta MD glass and SRT-101 bodies, and the donor wants me to sell them, but they're hardly worth the effort.
06-06-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

unfortunately, at the moment, there is no Minolta lens to pentax body adaptor.

there are canon and nikon adaptors to PK mount, but these are a) optically corrected to maintain infinity focus, and b) simple teleconverters with all the disadvantages of a TC, specifically color bleed on wide open lenses.

I own one of each, the nikon to pentax is a 1.25 x and the canon to pentax is 1.4x,

the magnification really makes them useless except for portrait to telephoto lenses.

one could be made for minolta as well, but expect it to be similar to the canon one, about 1.4x due to the shorter regestry distance of the minotla lenses comapred to pentax
09-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #7

Minolta Pentax Camera Lens Adapters, Mounts & Tubes | eBay