Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #1

The DA 50-135mm is a work horse!

When I got my 60-250, I thought that I might not use my 50-135 as much. Boy was I wrong! Between graduations and open houses, there were indoor shots that I just wouldn't have been able to get with f4, and shooting all day with the 60-250 would have been exhausting to me as well as intimidating to guests.

Here's a link to the gallery on Picasa:

Picasa Web Albums - hewittalfred - Alex Powell O...

any Michigan State University fans might recognize a couple of familiar faces.

Any CC is appreciated =)

06-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #2

Nice pictures. I also love my 50-135, not only is it great for almost any indoor situations but the size is perfect and doesn't scare anyone off.
06-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

right. 50-135 is a must-have lens for pentaxians!
06-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Good shots, just the wrong school (U of M grad here). Pretty cool that Tom Izzo was there. Once my SDM wakes up each time I use it, I love the 50-135--couldn't imagine not having it in my collection. As to the comment about not scaring anyone, I get a lot of oohs and ahhs when I break out the 50-135, especially when the hood is on. My friends are used to their Canikon kit lenses, and not much more.

06-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Good shots, just the wrong school (U of M grad here). Pretty cool that Tom Izzo was there. Once my SDM wakes up each time I use it, I love the 50-135--couldn't imagine not having it in my collection. As to the comment about not scaring anyone, I get a lot of oohs and ahhs when I break out the 50-135, especially when the hood is on. My friends are used to their Canikon kit lenses, and not much more.
benjikan and one other guy in a recent message, say that that 50-135 focuses faster after having the new revised motor installed. benjikan did it preemptively on that lens and the 16-50, but i sort of hate to fix something that isn't broken yet :-)

At first i disliked that long hood, now i realize the advantage it has. When it rains, the hood is long enough to keep drops off the optical lens, provided you don't point it up too much :-) No small advantage, there is nothing like a drop of rain on a lens to ruin a shot.
06-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
benjikan and one other guy in a recent message, say that that 50-135 focuses faster after having the new revised motor installed. benjikan did it preemptively on that lens and the 16-50, but i sort of hate to fix something that isn't broken yet :-)
Well, at least it gives us something to look forward to if our SDM motors fail
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I just picked up this lens last week. I'm liking the test images so far and am looking to put it through's its paces over the next couple of weekends (b/c of wedding shoots we have booked). I can see why it's such an appealing lens, and although it's what I would consider large it isn't "huge" by any means.

c[_]
06-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Me wants one.

Stop torturing me.

06-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Inactive Account

So. Is Pentax putting that "new" motor in the new lenses????
Note: That is the only important question there is about SDM.
06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
So. Is Pentax putting that "new" motor in the new lenses????
Note: That is the only important question there is about SDM.
I don't work for them, just enjoy their lenses :-) But its a no-risk bet that they are - any manufacturer knows that upfront-doing-it-right is cheaper than warranty repairs.

Many newly manufactured items often have problems and issues right out the door. I rarely seem to have the same problems as i usually buy a year after the new design has been introduced-time enough to get needed changes made.

No glory but a lot less angst :-)
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ive had mine for about two years and don't use it as much as I should, maybe the scare stories of SDM failure make me reluctant to temp fate?

But I took it as the only lens on an afternoon walk around a stately home with my family one day last week and fell in love all over again!

It's a terrific lens, it did everything I wanted and more. That evening I junked probably 60% less pictures than I usually do, and that's always a good sign.

I have been buying a lot of cheap manual focus lenses and having a ball with them recently, but the failure rate, and the time spent actually taking the picture, makes manual focus stuff a part of my hobby in its own right.

If I want to come with good pictures the 50-135 is the lens of choice.
06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I don't work for them, just enjoy their lenses :-) But its a no-risk bet that they are - any manufacturer knows that upfront-doing-it-right is cheaper than warranty repairs.

Many newly manufactured items often have problems and issues right out the door. I rarely seem to have the same problems as i usually buy a year after the new design has been introduced-time enough to get needed changes made.

No glory but a lot less angst :-)
Well that would very well tempt me into buying one again, but it has to be fairly new in production to include the new motor i guess......
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I just got a used 50-135mm. I love it. here's one of the few first shots I took.

Last edited by wsunate; 06-08-2010 at 02:23 PM.