Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma Macro 70mm f/2.8 EX DG is a GEM!

I've already posted this on DPReview's Pentax Forum (my first post there) so my apologies if you've already seen this thread.

I've just spent a few hours shooting with the Sigma Macro 70mm f/2.8 EX DG lens and I am mighty impressed with the rendering this lens offers. As with most quality macro lenses, the Sigma is razor-sharp but what really impresses me with it is the quality of the bokeh! My girlfriend (AmDamJayne) shoots her macros with a prized manual-focus Lester Dine/Kiron 105mm f/2.8 and the Sigma's OOF rendering is, in my opinion, every bit as good as the Lester Dine (maybe even a bit smoother) and noticeably smoother than my copy of the Pentax DFA 100 f/2.8 macro lens.

Cursive Glance Images - Fine Art Photography - powered by SmugMug

If you're in the market for a macro lens, give this Sigma serious consideration.

Last edited by pawzitiv; 08-07-2007 at 10:00 PM.
08-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure you have a Macro version in Pentax Mount???
08-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

It's the 70mm PRIME, not the 70-200mm.
08-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
crashman .. yes, egordon99 is correct. The lens I'm talking about is Sigma's 70mm prime macro lens.

08-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pawzitiv Quote
I've already posted this on DPReview's Pentax Forum (my first post there) so my apologies if you've already seen this thread.

I've just spent a few hours shooting with the Sigma Macro 70mm f/2.8 EX DG lens and I am mighty impressed with the rendering this lens offers. As with most quality macro lenses, the Sigma is razor-sharp but what really impresses me with it is the quality of the bokeh! My GF shoots her macros with a prized manual-focus Lester Dine/Kiron 105mm f/2.8 and the Sigma's OOF rendering is, in my opinion, every bit as good as the Lester Dine (maybe even a bit smoother) and noticeably smoother than my copy of the Pentax DFA 100 f/2.8 macro lens.

Cursive Glance Images - Fine Art Photography - powered by SmugMug

If you're in the market for a macro lens, give this Sigma serious consideration.
Can you share how much you pay for it? You get it brand new and is it a bargain in eBay? And do you see it as a great portrait lens for indoor?

Thanks,
Hin
08-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70mm Macro

Are pictures 21 through 25 in your gallery the only ones you've taken with the Sigma? Thanks.

CN
08-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
hinman,

I bought this lens new for CDN$580 from The Camera Store here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I haven't looked to see if this lens is being offered for less on eBay since I find pricing at The Camera Store very competitive and they usually can get me anything within a few weeks.

As for your question about how this lens would perform for portraits, generally you wouldn't want a super-sharp lens because people tend to want to have their wrinkles and skin blemishes hidden, not emphasized. having said that, I think the Sigma 70mm macro would work quite well for portraits from f/2.8 to f/5.6 plus a little softening of the image in Photoshop.

08-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Clem,

The following images in my "Blooms and Blossoms" gallery were taken with the Sigma 70mm Macro mounted on a K10D body:

#5 Calla Frillery
#6 Calla Petal
#13 Ms. Calla's Shawl
#15 Pink Curls
#16 Pink Wrap
#21 Soft Enveloping Love
#22 Soft Reveal
08-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Good buy...

I've read nothing but excellent reviews about this lens, so good in fact that the word "flawless" appears in the "conclusion" of just about every review of it out there; one of the lenses I have my eyes on, but DFA50 gives me little cause to worry too much about it, since the 50 itself is just about flawless.

About the lens being better than the DFA100, I don't have any doubts about that, never was really impressed by that 100, the DFA50, however, is a different story...

Cheers,
-Asad