Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Soligor 23mm F/3.5 lens

I have just noted a Soligor 23mm F/3.5 lens at a local auction site.
The lens looks good.
The price is about USD 125, which seems to be too much for a slow lens.

Has anyone ever encountered this one?

Here is the picture (site in Turkish):
Pentax K bayonet Soligor 23mm šok nadir objektif, #5644082 Gittigidiyor.com

Last edited by bc_the_path; 08-07-2007 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Added a link
08-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

a slow aperture by no means an indication of quality. Look at the Super/Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 28mm f3.5's reputation. Surely by todays standards, 28mm's come with f2.8 max. But can they perform as good? I've encountered plenty of crappy 28mm f2.8s.

I tried out a KA mount Tokina AT-X II 80-200/2.8 SD. (AT-X = Tokina's pro lens, SD = Super Low Dispersion) Sharpness wide open...pretty decent...but the thing that threw me off was the amount of chromatic aberration and purple fringing in the high contrast areas. So much so that even for the price tag of only $359.99, I put it down. The SMC Pentax-A 70-210 f4 can easily outperform the Tokina 80-200.

I used to think that the f3.5 max aperture on my XR 28mm f3.5 was a let down. That was until I took a photo. The contrast blew me away.

In the world of MF lenses, there are always rules of thumb...as well as plenty of exceptions. Soligor seems like a pretty good bet. The real question lies here...

How badly do you want this focal length (23mm is equiv to 34.5mm on dslr) and are you willing to pay that much for it. (Also consider that wide angles tend to be stopped down a bit anyways for extra DOF for landscapes/architecture.)
08-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Foto Pete.
I don't think I am inclined to buy it.
On the other hand, I might still need a good wide angle since my copy of Super Takumar 28mm F/3.5 shows too much CA. For now I have decided to remain happy (anti-LBA statement!) with Sigma 17-70mm since its performance at 20-35mm is good for all practical purposes.

This Soligor could have changed my mind if it was known to be of exceptional quality (like the Vivitar Series 1 macro) and/or if it had the "A" setting. Seems to be neither... Unfortunately, I cannot try before I buy; this could have made the decision easier.