Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA* 50-135 is in the States

I got mine from my local camera store (Bel Air Camera, if you are in L.A.) yesterday. I'm going to play with it more today, and compare it with a couple of other lenses I have in its focal length, but my first impression is that it's a really nice lens, and really sharp, even wide open at 2.8. Like anything else photogrpahically, it isn't perfect, but I'll have a hard time taking good enough pictures to be worthy of such a nice lens! I posted some quick snaps over at Steve's forums - they include 100% crops as well as full frame resized pictures.

Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs yet?

08-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Does SDM makes any difference in low light?

Congratulations!

We've already seen test photos of DA★ 50-135mm f/2.8 and DA★ 16-50mm f/2.8 however not many commented SDM performance.

Is focussing faster? Is focussing in low light any better?
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been using mostly manual lenses recently, but my first iimpression is that it is quieter, smoother, more accurate but not necessarily faster or better in low light (to be fair, I was using something with low contrast and not using the flash). Today I plan to do some comparisons using a K10, a K100, a DA 50-200 that has a real IQ problem, a Phoenix FA 100mm macro, and a K-Mount Takumar 135 2.5 (the telephoto lens I've been using the most recently when I'm not shooting macro flowers). It's definitely faster than the auto focus on the Phoenix, but that wouldn't take much.
08-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

QuoteQuote:
It's definitely faster than the auto focus on the Phoenix, but that wouldn't take much.
With the 355 degree focus ring on the Phoenix, most manual focus lenses and probably all non-macro AF lenses are faster than AF on the Phoenix (and probably most other macro lenses). After using AF a couple of times on mine, I understand why expensive macro lenses have focus limiters.
Sorry for the threadjack. I am curious as to the comparison between the 50-135 and the DA 50-200.

Chris

08-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I got mine from my local camera store (Bel Air Camera, if you are in L.A.) yesterday.
I work a block away from that camera store. Their price is a bit higher but they carry pentax items that other camera stores don't.
08-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
sft

It's great to hear about this lens. I went to Steve's forums to check out your thread and the performance looks good to me - sharpness is good but most of all the rendering is very good - the bokeh looks excellent for a zoom lens, as does contrast and just about everything else. Looks like it will be a cracker!

Do post some more shots - not necessarily 100% crops to show sharpness though that is welcome too if you want but - just real photographs - I am very impressed with the rendering of this lens.

I don't even have it on my list of lenses to get as I am waiting for the DA* 60-250 f/4 but so far it looks like it will be more than up to the task!
08-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm more in to manual focusing and I'm interested how much travel does the focusing ring have?
08-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #8

I am curious. Would you mind putting it on a film camera? I want to find out how much coverage you get.

08-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I'm more in to manual focusing and I'm interested how much travel does the focusing ring have?
Travel? Is that the amount of rotation from macro to infinity?

Alot of the newer digital lenses from all companies seem to be able to be rotated past their macro/infinity limits (notably those where the focus scales are behind a clear plastic screen) whereas older lenses, no further rotation was possible past their range.
08-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I got mine from my local camera store (Bel Air Camera, if you are in L.A.) yesterday.

Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs yet?
Mine has been on order from Adorama for several months. When I emailed them today, they responded that they had to ETA (estimated time of arrival) yet. Also, B&H has the 16-50 listed as "comming soon" but no listing for the 50-135. I guess that Pentax USA has some prioritized distribution system, but I am surprised that Adorama and B&H do not yet have it. Perhaps Bel Air has a special connection or contacts in Japan. I am going to call Adorama on August 15th if I still have not heard anything.
Needless to write, but I am having a hard time waiting.
08-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The focus ring doesn't go beyond infinity (I do have another lens like that). I haven't put it on a film camera - mine died several years ago (excuse to go digital). I've never really thought about the distance a lens takes to go from minimum focus to infinity, except that the Phoenix macro seems to go forever (I'm another one who rarely uses the AF on it - should have saved my money and bought the MF one).

I have no idea why Bel Air got this lens first (I could think of a number of reasons but none of them make too much sense). As far as I know, they have no special connection or contact with Pentax, just what any good-sized camera store that's a Pentax dealer would have. They had talked to their supplier last week but didn't have a definite date - I think they were surprised when mine came in. All I know is that I'm a really happy camper - had a great time taking pictures inside a lovely library today (I'll post them on Steve's).