Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's actually a full frame lens only compatible for K-mount bodies. it doesn't matter if it's a crop sensor or not. but since Pentax hasn't released an FF dslr, you can only use the FF slr cameras for FF use and cropped for the APS-C digitals.

I dunno how much you paid for the lens, but people would buy it easily for 400-500 for the K version and $200-$300 for the M version. $200 for the K version is a steal. if you bought it for a $100 bucks, that's a deal of the decade that went kaputz.

as far as cheap manual focus lenses are concerned, I'm kinda wondering why didn't you consider buying the Sigma 24 and 28 or the Vivitar/Kiron 24 and 28. atleast even if you desecrate these lenses, no one would get mad at you that much compared to castrating the Pentax 28/2.

06-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #17

Original Poster
i picked it up for $400. The reason i went for it over the canon 28mm was watching a video on vimeo that i loved.

i emailed the guy with the lens, and he said he owns 50 lens, and this 28mm f2 was his favorite.

after watching it, and comparing it to the canon, i was sold. And i didn't know i would have to cut the aperture until after i purchased it. I searched randomly on ebay, and there was this exact lens with 30min left, and i won the bid. Again, i plead ignorance.

as for the sigma or vivtar lens, i nothing about them. I'm the kinda of guy who buys random things on ebay, and this time around i probably shouldn't have been the winner of this lens. I really didn't know better.
06-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, basically, you had no idea Canon and Pentax had different mounts?
06-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

the sigma and vivitar lenses sell for much cheaper at around $100 but could go $200 on some sellers of eBay. some overprice them too much at a ridiculous $500 price tag that only an idiot would fall for.

I can see why you liked the lens very much as it is really a knock-out. I suppose the background separation isolating the subject making it appear like real life sold you. anyway, if we could only turn back time and if buying the lens is only for video purposes, you could had simply bought a k-x camera with it. sadly, it's too late for that now.

06-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Based on the title of the Vimeo video, it's indeed the K28/2 you have bought, i.e. the exact copy of the Zeiss Distagon 'Hollywood' designed by optics wizard Herr Erhard Glatzel. Of which I have a nice example too

Let's not be too mad at him, guys. For all we know he could buy a cheap K55/2 and use those parts (including the diaphragm lever) to get the lens running again. I'm sure it must be possible.

As for a repair; I'm sure any repairman can try to open the lens for you. I would look for a cheap K55/2 or something like that first to use as a source for the screws used to fasten the bayonet.
06-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #21

Original Poster
thanks Asahiflex for the tips. I just spoke with a camera repair shop, and they said they think they can get it working again for $100. I told them the exact problem, and they said they could get it working. I think the spring is just getting stuck for some reason. The lens still works, but only wide open right now (which is my favorite for video)

It is the K version. Its long and heavy. the background separation totally sold me on it. I am getting ready to shoot documentary work, and this lens is perfect.
06-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nate, we all appreciate you for at taking the ribbing in good humor.

You just have to understand that on this web site, these lenses are really sacred to us.

We dream about them, wish we had enough money to buy them, fight with our spouses about making the purchase because they keep complaining about needing a new kitchen table or having to make a rent or mortgage payment.

But we, in general, dedicate our lives to the preservation and use of this "old stuff." And ignore them.

06-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by natedog23z Quote
SO, this will probably make all you film users pain, but i cut off the aperture lever, and sanded down the plastic guard so it could clear the mirror. I was really nervous doing it, but i found a guide of how to do it and followed the directions.
I can believe the nervous part, since you had to do this without taking the mount off. A lot of the guards come off as a separate piece by removing very small screws on the side of the bayonet.

QuoteQuote:
I normally shoot wide open, but today i just realized that when i turn the aperture ring, the iris actually doesn't respond. I can take the lens off, and just a bit of the lever is sticking out, enough for me to use my finger to manually make the iris open and close, but the ring doesn't work anymore. Sad.

Before i modified the lens, everything was working fine. Even though i cut of a few cm of the aperture lever, i don't think that should have stopped it from working right?

another problem is that i can't go diagnosing what's wrong, because one of the screws is stripped on the lens, so the metal plate can't come off. Anyone know how to get a stripped screw head out? its SO small.
If I have a spare screw and can get the other screws out, I usually drill out the head of the screw. Then I can take the mount off and use locking pliers to unscrew the shaft of the screw. The screws change over time so spares must be from the same type. There are extractors for stripped screws but they may be meant for larger screws.

oh, and in case this info helps. I can manually set the aperture to f/22, and then the ring works all the way to back to f/2, but then it doesn't work the other way.
Is there oil on the blades? That might cause your problems. Your lens might already have had some issues, otherwise the screw would not be stripped.
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

2 things you can try:

1. If the screw is only partly stripped - take a correct size (probably #0) Phillips screwdriver. Using a butane torch, heat the end until it is red hot. Press it firmly into the screw in question while the lens sits face down on a counter/desk/table. Wait a few seconds for some of the heat to transfer, then try unscrewing the screw. It will probably work best if all the other screws are out already.

2. If there is a plastic ring between the rear element and the mount, then do as a previous poster mentioned and remove just the ring. This can often be done by removing three screws that are visible by looking at the side of the lens mount. They will be tiny, and therefore require a tiny Phillips screwdriver, #00 I believe.
EDIT: Once the ring is out focus the lens as "close" as possible to give you the most space to get into the back of the lens.
06-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Nate you are in luck because you live in the same state as the best Pentax Repairman in the business Eric at Pentax's Repairs.

You should look into him first.

Now which lens do you actually have is it this one. SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F2-Lens
06-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Nate you are in luck because you live in the same state as the best Pentax Repairman in the business Eric at Pentax's Repairs.

You should look into him first.

Now which lens do you actually have is it this one. SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F2-Lens
"Nate you are in luck because you live in the same state as the best Pentax Repairman in the business Eric at Pentax's Repairs.

You should look into him first."

That's so cool!! I literally live 30 miles from him. I'm emailing him right now. That sure beats mailing it to Atlanta with a 2 week turn around.

" Now which lens do you actually have is it this one. SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F2-Lens"

yep, that's the exact one i have.

as for the stuck screw, I'm gonna leave that up for the professional. I've already done way too much modifying for my own good.

I already feel like a i have a secret weapon with this lens on my 5D, and I'm only shooting wide open. This lens makes everything 3D. My fingers are crossed at getting this thing fully operational.

Don't work guys, I'm keeping quite about this lens with my 5D. I could blast vimeo about how sweet this lens is with the video to show for it, and tons of guys would be snatching up your lenses and "mutilating them"...but i won't do that. It will be my secret...haha.
06-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Don't work guys, I'm keeping quite about this lens with my 5D. I could blast vimeo about how sweet this lens is with the video to show for it, and tons of guys would be snatching up your lenses and "mutilating them"...but i won't do that. It will be my secret...haha.
actually, it's no big secret. there are members here that own other systems. the downside of mutilating a lens is that there is no turning back, hence the regret if one wants to use that lens for the other camera. the only thing that one would make such mutilation acceptable is if you're not considering using the lens for other camera mounts like Pentax. however, by mutilating the lens, the lens lost it's real value and you'd be forced to sell it at a cheap bargain.
06-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #28
Veteran Member

There are also the screwmount Takumars that require no modification. They are also much cheaper. Nate could have bought a whole fleet of Takumars for the price of the lens he has.
06-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
There are also the screwmount Takumars that require no modification. They are also much cheaper. Nate could have bought a whole fleet of Takumars for the price of the lens he has.
yeah of course. but it's a K28/2 !!!
06-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok I say we forgive Nate, but only if he does the following to repent his sins:

1) Take a sledge hammer (Great idea “Blue”) to his Canon 5D. We want video proof of this sacrifice.
2) Send the castrated K28/2 to Eric so he can make it “whole” again.
3) Buy a Pentax camera.

Once you have completed this “cleansing” we will welcome you with open arms.

Phil.

PS I jest, but at least do #2 and get Eric to fix this beauty of a lens!