Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Slow Aperture blades on my M-28/2.8, how to proceed?

So, I recently discovered (on vacation of all times) that my 28mm M lens has developed sticky aperture blades. I can sort of circumvent the issue by setting the 2 second timer on my k200d for every shot, but this got annoying fast.

I was considering just reverse mounting it to another lens to attempt making it into a macro lens, but I'm not familiar with the process.

Otherwise I can try to clean the blades myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get into the aperture blades and what I should use to clean them? Since the cost to repair this lens at a shop would be more than the lens is actually worth, I figure I'll give it a shot at surgery.

This would be the first time taking a lens apart and I've found this site:

Pentax 50mm lens fix

But it doesn't really get into the meat of what I need seeing as how this particular article is about fixing an aperture ring.

Any insight guys? Should I delve into the world of reverse-mounting and just cut my losses?

06-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh God! This got me curious so I checked all of my lenses and my brand new to me Pentax M 28mm has this issue! I turn the aperture ring in a fast mannor all the way from wideopen to F/22 and it takes 5 seconds for the aperture to close down all the way! SOB! Time to message back the camera store

Last edited by yeatzee; 06-08-2010 at 11:10 PM.
06-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fazer Quote
So, I recently discovered (on vacation of all times) that my 28mm M lens has developed sticky aperture blades. I can sort of circumvent the issue by setting the 2 second timer on my k200d for every shot, but this got annoying fast.

I was considering just reverse mounting it to another lens to attempt making it into a macro lens, but I'm not familiar with the process.

Otherwise I can try to clean the blades myself. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to get into the aperture blades and what I should use to clean them? Since the cost to repair this lens at a shop would be more than the lens is actually worth, I figure I'll give it a shot at surgery.

This would be the first time taking a lens apart and I've found this site:

Pentax 50mm lens fix

But it doesn't really get into the meat of what I need seeing as how this particular article is about fixing an aperture ring.

Any insight guys? Should I delve into the world of reverse-mounting and just cut my losses?
It's fairly easy to take apart M series lenses. That tutorial is for an A series lens, which is slightly more difficult. Just unscrew the back of the lens and keep track of what you're doing, take photos if you have to. Before you know it, you'll have reached the aperture blades. You may also need the Spanner Wrench.

It doesn't cost much to get it fixed. Ralph Innes only charges $48 shipped to repair that lens.

Repair Resources & Rates
06-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #4

Here you have a link to a discussion about repairing lenses with sticky aperture blades.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/65929-help-sticky-apertures.html

Mike

06-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an M42 28/2.8 that suffered from sticky ap blades. Eric, the Pentax lens magician and repairman, at PENTAXS fixed it for me. Perhaps he can help you, too.

Cheers...