Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #1

Some Macro lens advice

Hey guys, I posted a few weeks ago about macro and have finally saved up some cash to buy me something pretty

I currently own a Sigma 28-90 f/3.5 and a standard Pentax 18-55 lens.

I also have a series of pentax extension tubes, 13mm, 21mm and 31mm but alas the 31mm took a fall and it seems the rings inside it have fallen out ( I have all the parts that fell out, any idea what I should do with it? I can't find a link on how to repair it)

That's my gear, now, what do you guys suggest? Should I invest in a Macro lens? Macro converter? Reverse ring? Think of my budget as approximately $200 - $300

What I'm looking for is the ability to create some really up close macro shots with some reasonable working distance.

A good example would be some of Rense's work:

PS: I read Yeatzee's thread and it just became way too complex for me too keep up >.<

Cheers!

06-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Full Edit

A Good Randex Macro "Close-Up" lens
and maybe a good used Pentax 135mm lens (manual focus)
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Some links or more details please
06-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

See the thread on this forum entitled The Raynox Club. Tons of samples and info there. Raynox 150 DCR and DCR 250 are the particular models you'd be considering; they are asier to find on Amazon et al. One of these plus a telephoto zoom is one fo the cheapest / easiest / most effective ways to get into macro.

06-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Praestigium Quote
Some links or more details please
A look at using close up filters and macro lenses

Close-up Filters or Extension Tubes?

Canon 250d Close up lens reviews
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Rense's work

That is a superb photo.

But isn't it micro as opposed to macro?

Mickey
06-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
See the thread on this forum entitled The Raynox Club. Tons of samples and info there. Raynox 150 DCR and DCR 250 are the particular models you'd be considering; they are asier to find on Amazon et al. One of these plus a telephoto zoom is one fo the cheapest / easiest / most effective ways to get into macro.
Some amazing shots in the thread, this is going to sound real amateurish, but how do I to tell what size Raynox I need to throw on which lens? Or is it a universal?

Would you also recommend purchasing a macro lens before hand or just throwing it on what I have at the momeny?

QuoteQuote:
A look at using close up filters and macro lenses

Close-up Filters or Extension Tubes?

Canon 250d Close up lens reviews
Read through all of those, and they were every useful, especially the Canon 250d review, thanks!

QuoteQuote:
That is a superb photo.

Mickey
Yeah, Rense doesn't dissapoint.

I always thought Macro meant making "small" things look "big"?

06-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
From what I know, "macro photography" and "micro photography" refers to the same thing: taking photo of small (micro) objects, or making small (micro) objects look big (macro).

Nikon uses the term "micro lenses"; the rest of the world uses "macro lenses" to refer to the type of lenses for micro/macro photography.
06-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #9

For a little bit more, I picked up a Tamron 90mm macro. $500 in Brissy.

FYI it completes my 'Tamron travel kit':

17-50/2.8 + 90/2.8 macro + Af360Fgz.

Cheers,
M
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote

Cheers,
M
HaHa

I have my Sigma EX travel kit:
24-70/2.8 + 105/2.8 macro
06-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing beats the ease of use of a macro lens period. For most, 1:1 is enough. For me it is not
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote

Cheers,
M
$500 >.<

Well, are you satisfied with it? What do you generally use it for?

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Nothing beats the ease of use of a macro lens period. For most, 1:1 is enough. For me it is not
I'm fairly certain that I want to go beyond 1:1, and to be honest I've been following your threads with interest, but just when it starts to become more informative I stop being able to grasp so much of the information being spoken.

I really really really want to purchase either the Panagor 90mm or 55mm but there aren't any on ebay and and the few Camera stores in Melbourne don't stock them

06-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Praestigium Quote
$500 >.<
I'm fairly certain that I want to go beyond 1:1, and to be honest I've been following your threads with interest, but just when it starts to become more informative I stop being able to grasp so much of the information being spoken.

I really really really want to purchase either the Panagor 90mm or 55mm but there aren't any on ebay and and the few Camera stores in Melbourne don't stock them
1:1 Macro lenses are usually a great jumping off point before moving on to reversing rings and bellows. Nothing beats the ease of use of a 1:1 lens. They're fairly compact at infinity focus, light and can double as a portrait lens in a pinch.

I just might sell my Panagor 90mm if I can't sell enough lenses this week. Meanwhile, there's a Vivitar Series 1 macro lens in the marketplace for $450 shipped. That's one of the best macro lenses ever made.

Just saw your flickr, some good macro stuff already. What did you shoot them with?
06-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
1:1 Macro lenses are usually a great jumping off point before moving on to reversing rings and bellows. Nothing beats the ease of use of a 1:1 lens. They're fairly compact at infinity focus, light and can double as a portrait lens in a pinch.

I just might sell my Panagor 90mm if I can't sell enough lenses this week. Meanwhile, there's a Vivitar Series 1 macro lens in the marketplace for $450 shipped. That's one of the best macro lenses ever made.

Just saw your flickr, some good macro stuff already. What did you shoot them with?
$450 you say? Can I get a link by any chance? And if you do decide to sell the Panagor do PM me!

Thanks! They were taken with the Sigma 28-90mm along with a 31mm extension tube. I liked the results but my gripe was that I had to move in really close to get the pictures, and so my working distance with my current set up isn't really practical :S
06-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Working distance and magnification over 1:1 don't really mix

If working distance is your issue than a macro lens and cropping is the only practical answer I can come up with...

by the way, do you have any specific questions? You said you couldn't grasp all the info which is understandable so is there anything specifically that is confusing?