Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #46

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
if i were you, i would get my feet wet with a K/M 50mm F/1.8/F/1.7 and M/K 28mm F/2.8/F/3.5 and some extension tubes. These shouldn't cost you much and will give you a wide variety of magnification possibilities.

These primes are essential in everyday shooting and work great as reversed primes for macro also.
Can I get a link to a review about these lenses please?

06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right here on the forum.... I own the M 50mm F/1.7 and M 28mm F/3.5 and could not be happier.
06-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Praestigium Quote
Any recommendations? I have a $300 budget :S
What to do: Get a bunch of inexpensive great primes with 49mm front threads. A 100mm or 135/2.8 or f/3.5 would be a good primary. Good secondaries would be 50-55-58mm, f/1.7 or f/2; 35/2.8; 28/2.8. I'm partial to M42 screwmounts because they're cheap and great (especially Takumars). With some careful eBaying, you can put together a good system for well within your budget. ZOOMS ARE NOT GOOD HERE. These lenses should all have their objectives right up front, without deep insets. If you get lenses (especially the primaries) with different thread diameters, you'll need step-up or -down rings, which separate the objectives slightly more.

What I use: Meyer Trioplan 100/2/8 (US$27) or Hamimar Preset 135/3.5 (US$18) as primaries; Takumar 28/2.8 (US$33), 35/3.5 (US$22), 55/1.8 (US$7); a 49mm thread reversal ring (US$4) and a set of macro tubes (US$6). All those are M42 but you'll find PK-mount equivalents for slightly more. By staying consistent with thread sizes and mounts, you'll be able to mix-and-match everything in many combinations.
06-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You have to take into acount that the extension tubes are somehow difficult to work with if you are going to shoot outside. You have to change the actual extension with regard to the magnification you want to get, and many times till you do that your model will get away. A macro lens offers you to more flexible use in the field, you dont have to change the extension. In that price range i would recommend you to consider fo example the sigma 50mm 2,8 macro lens. You will get shorter working distance than with longer macro lenses, but it would be better than using a extension on a 50 mm lens to get almost 1:1 magnification. For greater magnification you could purchase a reverse ring.

06-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luck1 Quote
You have to take into acount that the extension tubes are somehow difficult to work with if you are going to shoot outside. You have to change the actual extension with regard to the magnification you want to get, and many times till you do that your model will get away. A macro lens offers you to more flexible use in the field, you dont have to change the extension. In that price range i would recommend you to consider fo example the sigma 50mm 2,8 macro lens. You will get shorter working distance than with longer macro lenses, but it would be better than using a extension on a 50 mm lens to get almost 1:1 magnification. For greater magnification you could purchase a reverse ring.
Im not understanding how they are difficult to work with "if you are going to shoot outside".........

I agree the ease of use with macro lenses make them great, but he wants more than 1:1 and he's clearly just getting into this kind of stuff. Thats why i sugest buying a 50mm and extension tubes. If he shops smart together they could cost less than $50 together and get him that extra magnification. Plus he does not own a fast 50mm for regular shooting so its a win win IMO
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #51
Veteran Member

oicwutudidthar
You're a smart one !

Seriously , there are already tons of good advices in this thread already but may I mention a Pentax A 50/2.8 Macro ?

One more option for you : Get an older Tamron 70-300 AF . Some of those do have an macro option [ 1:2 ratio ] at 180mm ore more . Very good lens . Get an used auto tele converter and remove the glass then you will have have an extension tube w/ electrical contacts .

Here is a shot with A50/2.8 Macro wide open at F2.8 for you to .. drool on your keyboard !

06-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #52
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
important accessories...

I currently own a Sigma 28-90 f/3.5 and a standard Pentax 18-55 lens.

That's my gear, now, what do you guys suggest? Should I invest in a Macro lens? Macro converter? Reverse ring? Think of my budget as approximately $200 - $300

What I'm looking for is the ability to create some really up close macro shots with some reasonable working distance.....
In addition to a lens I recommend
1) Tripod
2) Focusing rails Chinese ~$46 delivered from ebay will suffice.

These are necessary for high magnification work because the field of view is so small and small, precise adjustments are necessary.

Since you want a "reasonable working distance" think of a 90+mm macro lens.

Keh.com lists a Macro-Takumar 100mm f/4 for $79 this lens requires a bellows, a chinese one will suffice, $36 delivered from ebay. You'll also need an m42-K adapter - a generic one will work well for about $15.

This will be a big but easy to use setup and should give excellent results.

Dave

06-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #53
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A completely different strategy within your budget is to get a Pentax DAL 55-300mm for about $250 and a Raynox DCR 150 for $50. That'll be an excellent combo for field work and will cover all that's practical to hand-hold from quite close-up to very far away.

I've a couple excellent macro lenses but I use the 55-300/Raynox combo at least as frequently.
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Do you plan on shooting flowers or insects?

If insects, forget about a focus rail and tripod.... IMHO of course
06-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #55

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Here is a shot with A50/2.8 Macro wide open at F2.8 for you to .. drool on your keyboard
Wow, what is that? A snapdragon?? Any PP?

@Yeatzee: I plan a mixture of insects and flowers, and I already have a tripod but I've never found much opportunity to use it.

Also, I just managed to get a reasonable price on a Panagor 90mm from one of the users here.

It's a true macro lens so the Raynox won't be of much use. I'm assuming my only real option of going beyond 1:1 with it is to pop on some extension tubes?
06-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Wow, what is that? A snapdragon?? Any PP?

@Yeatzee: I plan a mixture of insects and flowers, and I already have a tripod but I've never found much opportunity to use it.

Also, I just managed to get a reasonable price on a Panagor 90mm from one of the users here.

It's a true macro lens so the Raynox won't be of much use. I'm assuming my only real option of going beyond 1:1 with it is to pop on some extension tubes?
You can still reverse lenses..
06-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
If insects, forget about a focus rail and tripod.... IMHO of course
Why not focusing rails and tripods?

I guess I have had better luck with monopods in regard to insects....
06-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Why not focusing rails and tripods?

I guess I have had better luck with monopods in regard to insects....
Maybe the bugs I shoot are more active than yours.....
06-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #59
Veteran Member

No way, dude, my slugs are fast.
06-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Well I thought I'd post this to show what a simple Pentax M 50mm F/1.7 reversed on extension tubes via tape can achieve:

I've just barely tapped the potential of this setup

(3 images stacked for ultimate sharpness)