Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone know a good lens repair place?

I need some advice.

I had a mishap with my much loved Vivitar S1 105mm f2.5 macro lens the other day. I almost was physically ill when it happened.

Anyway, does anyone know a really good place to have a lens repaired?
C.R.I.S. wouldn't look at it and I called Vivitar and they didn't know anything. Evidently the Vivitar name has been sold several times since the lens was made.

Thanks,
Dennis

06-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
What happened exactly to your lens?

I know that KEH.com has a repair center, but I do not have any first hand experience with them in that area
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I bumped the lens in my cam cabinet, it fell over and rolled out of the cabinet. It fell almost 5 feet and fell flat, on the side of the lens. It turns but doesn't extend.
The lens elements look ok from what I can see and the aperture leaves still function.
What a sickening sound it made when it hit the tile floor.

Last edited by Driver3; 06-10-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: More Explanation.
06-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Repair Resources & Rates

Ralph is amazing, he just repaired my Vivitar S1 90mm macro lens (improperly meshed helicoid) and my Vivitar 28mm f2.0 lens (sticky aperture with crooked helicoid from a nasty fall). All of that was fixed for under $100 total, shipped. Amazing.

He specializes in Kiron lenses (if your lens serial starts with 22, it's a Kiron made lens). Communication was great, he showed me photos of everything he was doing, asked permission before doing anything drastic and kept me abreast every step of the way.

He tries his best to diagnose the problem via email, if you're willing to take a crack at it, he emails you photos and instructions on how to repair it, all for free. If you feel uncomfortable doing the repairs you can send it to him. I can't say enough good things about this guy, he's a rare breed of lens repairmen.

06-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If its a Pentax lens there is Eric Hendrickson in Tennessee. For others there is

Scroll down to mf lens repair:

Camera Repair, Camera Repair 35mm, Camera Repair 35mm Classic, Camera Repair 35mm SLR, Camera, Repair, Restoration, Maintance, Service, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, Konica, Ricoh, Sears, Yashica
06-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Repair Resources & Rates

Ralph is amazing, he just repaired my Vivitar S1 90mm macro lens (improperly meshed helicoid) and my Vivitar 28mm f2.0 lens (sticky aperture with crooked helicoid from a nasty fall). All of that was fixed for under $100 total, shipped. Amazing.

He specializes in Kiron lenses (if your lens serial starts with 22, it's a Kiron made lens). Communication was great, he showed me photos of everything he was doing, asked permission before doing anything drastic and kept me abreast every step of the way.

He tries his best to diagnose the problem via email, if you're willing to take a crack at it, he emails you photos and instructions on how to repair it, all for free. If you feel uncomfortable doing the repairs you can send it to him. I can't say enough good things about this guy, he's a rare breed of lens repairmen.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Great sources Blue & Hangu, I have bookmarked both as I'm sure they will come handy with my collection of over 300 lenses..
06-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this guy. Never used him, but he may be able to help you.

Lens Tech Home Page
06-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Check this guy. Never used him, but he may be able to help you.

Lens Tech Home Page
That's Ralph.

06-11-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses.
I have emailed Ralph at Lens Tech for his address.
I did pick up a pristine Pentax FA 50mm f2.8 macro in the marketplace.
Initial testing on it is remarkable!
Dennis

Last edited by Driver3; 06-11-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: info
06-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a quick update.
The Vivitar 105mm Macro is not repairable.
Ralph checked it out and let me know today.
While it sucks for sure, I really like the FA 50mm macro I picked up off the marketplace.