Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Upcoming trip to Las Vegas (which lenses to bring?)

So normally when I go to Las Vegas (which is at least once a year) I spend between 16-18 hours a day at the poker table and mix in a little sleeping and eating in the remaining time. This year I decided to make an effort to spend a little less time at the table and actually go out and try my hand at some street photography. I really don't have any experience with this type of photography, but I figured Las Vegas might make a good place to try it out.

I was originally planning on bringing the K7 + 15 + 43 + 77. Do you guys think it would be overkill to bring along the 31 as well. Or should I bring it instead of the 43? I realize there is no right or wrong answer, but if someone who has a little more experience wants to chime in with their opinion, I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

06-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I pretty much do the same routine at Vegas. Last time was the first time I went there after getting into photography. After posting a similar question at DPR, I took the 21 and 43. I was able to keep the camera in my hands with he other lens e trouserpocket. I absolutley LOVED the combo. I hate to carry a camera bag there.

The 15 is too lareg to do the same, and 31 is going to be a bit long for ceratin shots. Either I would buy the 21 and take that with the 43, or take the 31 and forget about wideangle shots and miss a few, or just take the 15. Actually just the 15 sound good.
06-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I pretty much do the same routine at Vegas. Last time was the first time I went there after getting into photography. After posting a similar question at DPR, I took the 21 and 43. I was able to keep the camera in my hands with he other lens e trouserpocket. I absolutley LOVED the combo. I hate to carry a camera bag there.

The 15 is too lareg to do the same, and 31 is going to be a bit long for ceratin shots. Either I would buy the 21 and take that with the 43, or take the 31 and forget about wideangle shots and miss a few, or just take the 15. Actually just the 15 sound good.
Well, for better or worse I sold my 21/40/70 to fund the 15/31/43/77 so the 21 isn't really an option at this point.

I don't mind having a small bag with me, plus if I decide I just want to ditch the bag I could always just take a single lens out and leave the rest back in the room. I'd rather take a lens or two extra than regret not having it when I'm out there.

I suppose the other advantage of taking all three FA primes plus the 15 is that I'll have extra lenses to pawn if I need an extra buy-in or two
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vegas Trip

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
So normally when I go to Las Vegas (which is at least once a year) I spend between 16-18 hours a day at the poker table and mix in a little sleeping and eating in the remaining time. This year I decided to make an effort to spend a little less time at the table and actually go out and try my hand at some street photography. I really don't have any experience with this type of photography, but I figured Las Vegas might make a good place to try it out.

I was originally planning on bringing the K7 + 15 + 43 + 77. Do you guys think it would be overkill to bring along the 31 as well. Or should I bring it instead of the 43? I realize there is no right or wrong answer, but if someone who has a little more experience wants to chime in with their opinion, I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Having just come back from a trip to Vegas and posting almost the same question I was recommended to take the following.

I took the new Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, Pentax 17-70mm, and Sigma 70-200mm. I did take a 21mm and 43mm but never even used them. Honestly I had the 10-20 on one body and the 17-70mm on the other. I went on a dinner cruise on Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and did a lot of walking on the strip including Fremont Street. I found the two zooms to handle everything very well.
Just me two cents worth....Good luck to you at the poker tables....

06-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Having just come back from a trip to Vegas and posting almost the same question I was recommended to take the following.

I took the new Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, Pentax 17-70mm, and Sigma 70-200mm. I did take a 21mm and 43mm but never even used them. Honestly I had the 10-20 on one body and the 17-70mm on the other. I went on a dinner cruise on Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and did a lot of walking on the strip including Fremont Street. I found the two zooms to handle everything very well.
Just me two cents worth....Good luck to you at the poker tables....
Well, I had actually thought about taking both my bodies and keeping the 15 on the Kx and a Tamron 28-75 on the K7. It wouldn't be as compact a setup, but it would cover me pretty well.

Thanks for wishing me luck. Hopefully I'll come back with whatever lenses I bring out there
06-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Hopefully I'll come back with whatever lenses I bring out there
I was going to say the same thing:

Poker Tables + Pawn Shops + Photo Equipment = Danger
06-11-2010, 04:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I was going to say the same thing:

Poker Tables + Pawn Shops + Photo Equipment = Danger
I should be ok. As bad as I would feel if I lost money at the poker table, the feeling would be far worse if I sold my stuff at 1/3 of its value to a pawn shop
06-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My aim is to pack light when I go to Vegas (I only take carry-on luggage), as I know I will go there again. This is why I recommended taking just one or two lenses.

If you are taking the bag and don't mind carrying it, then go for it! you've got a bunch of very nice lenses.

Last edited by pcarfan; 06-11-2010 at 04:56 AM.
06-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks.
the most useful will be the 15mm but that even may not be wide enough. My last time the only wide lens i had was the 18-35 thjat came with my *istD. I used it with some success but on my PZ-1 not on a DSLR. I have not been back since I got my 10-20 and my 8mm fisheye.
06-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the most useful will be the 15mm but that even may not be wide enough. My last time the only wide lens i had was the 18-35 thjat came with my *istD. I used it with some success but on my PZ-1 not on a DSLR. I have not been back since I got my 10-20 and my 8mm fisheye.
I actually used to have the Sigma 10-20, but sold it when I bought the 15 as I don't use a often go wide. Of course it's the occasional trip like this where it would have been nice to have. That said I'm anxious to use the 15 as it's one of my least used lens at the moment and it will be nice to put it to use

But that aside, I'm more interested in trying my hand candid/street photography and thought the 43 and/or 77 would be a good choice to completement the 15. Actually, I think the 50-135 would be perfect, but I was hoping to keep it a bit more lighter and more discrete.