Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My new DA55-300mm keeps impressing me

I have to admit that even though I also bought a DA12-24 this week this lens is a much bigger surprise to me! The 12-24 is impressive in distortion contol, sharpness wide open and color rendering but the 55-300 is the one which opened newer possibilities to me so far..maybe later I will post a "DA12-24 keeps impressing me" too...anyway some pictures taken today with the 55-300:

K-x iso800 f6.3 120mm 1/1250

K-x iso640 f7.1 170mm 1/800

and this one at 300mm f6.3 iso800 1/2500 taken a few days before

Andras

06-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agreed on the lens but you've got some great technique there. Excellent work.
06-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That lens is definitely on my 'to buy' list (not sure if it's worth getting the 'L' version though or holding out for the straight DA). However as was mentioned - great technique, were you shooting in Av ?
06-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I really like all pics, the last the best.... nice!

You know the DA55-300mm is a very good lens price aside. If price was not a factor it would still be a lens to consider because its sharp wide open, no weak spots from 55-300mm (un-heard of), no loss of contrast going from 200mm-300mm (thats really un-heard of, and sets it apart) even wide open. All other consumer telephotos reviews that I have read have some type of contrast drop wide open at 300mm but the Pentax... Plus it has that great Pentax color and contrast, plus its fairly small and light. One nice lens price aside.

06-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Agreed on the lens but you've got some great technique there. Excellent work.
Thanks a lot well the technique is "simple"-know your gear! the K-x is excellent at high iso so don't worry to use iso800 (at daylight!). It also has a good fps. This lens has a very sluggish AF so when I take pictures of birds I always set the focus ring manually near ininity-and then AF performance becomes acceptable. And then again all you have to do is keep shooting...you will end up with a very low percent of "keepers" of course..but some wiill be OK...and this is much better than buying a "I don't really know how many thousands of dollar worth Nikon and an even dearer lens..well for me it"s much better..it's a challenge and it makes me happy

The butterfly is even simpler-set the focus to the reed manually and wait-and when the butterfly arrives start to shoot-somehow she will end up in the right spot..once again it is very good fun-much better than spending a fortune on a gear..which is so heavy

...I know pro Nikon or Canon gear is super..but I'm not that kind of person..the K-x with the 55-300 lies besides me on the right seat in my car all the time and sometimes I end up with "keepers"

..and yes I always use AV.
Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 06-11-2010 at 12:49 PM.
06-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
emr

People post so great pictures from their 55-300mm that I begin to fear mine's defective! Then again, I'm one of the worst photographers so perhaps it's just that.
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
The first shot is superb. Did you focus manually or has the AF nailed the focus?

In the second one - is that purple fringing on the dragonfly's body and wings? There seems to be a bit of it in the first shot as well, on the tail.

06-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Agreed with all the above! I have longer tele covered with my m4/3 lenses at the moment, but if they decide to change it to a WR version, it will be going right back into my bag (just a great lens overall).
06-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The first shot is superb. Did you focus manually or has the AF nailed the focus?

In the second one - is that purple fringing on the dragonfly's body and wings? There seems to be a bit of it in the first shot as well, on the tail.
It's manual focus-the technique is simple as I outlined before-and to reply about the purple fringing..well I haveto be honest I don't know. Well this optics is regarded as "kit lens"as it is being sold so I don't want to go into deep analysis about it..the only thing I can tell you is that I like the results.

Andras
06-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see no PF in these images - #2 looks to be slightly off colour - perhaps a little too much magenta as seen on the wing veins. Apart from that, all 3 of these are superb results that can be edited to be exemplary DA 55-300 captures.

Excellent accuracy in focusing in all of these.
#1 impresses me most - watch out for overexposure though.
Well done.
06-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
It's manual focus-the technique is simple as I outlined before
I read your previous posts, but my understanding is that you set manually focus to infinity and then let AF find focus faster. But which AF mode are you using - center point, selected point, or you let the camera pick the AF?

I use manual focus, but I'm curious how people handle these situations with AF.

Thanks!
06-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I see no PF in these images - #2 looks to be slightly off colour - perhaps a little too much magenta as seen on the wing veins.
That magenta is what I was asking about. Is that PF or is it something else?

I am curious because the photozone review shows the 55-300 to have PF at 300mm, but no one mentions that in their recommendations, while the Tamron is being criticized for its PF.
06-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I read your previous posts, but my understanding is that you set manually focus to infinity and then let AF find focus faster. But which AF mode are you using - center point, selected point, or you let the camera pick the AF?

I use manual focus, but I'm curious how people handle these situations with AF.

Thanks!
I'm using AFS center point only. AFC seems to reduce the fps. With the fast flying birds I rely on the fps and then hope...of course crooping will be nescessary. With this technique I managed to take some resonable pictures even with the DA50-200. Some with the 50-200:

and the question about the PF I have to say I don"t know because I never went into pixel-peeping so far..either I like a picture or not

Andras
06-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
Banned

I'm using AFS center point only. AFC seems to reduce the fps. With the fast flying birds I rely on the fps and then hope...of course crooping will be nescessary. With this technique I managed to take some resonable pictures even with the DA50-200. Some with the 50-200:
Thanks. Very nice shots.

and the question about the PF I have to say I don"t know because I never went into pixel-peeping so far..either I like a picture or not
PF is *not* a problem if you have to pixel peep, as you say, but that magenta cast is visible even at the size you've posted it - it's all over the second shot of the dragonfly. I'm still interested in why that shot has that cast, if you can figure it out - was that the actual color of the dragonfly?
06-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. Very nice shots.

PF is *not* a problem if you have to pixel peep, as you say, but that magenta cast is visible even at the size you've posted it - it's all over the second shot of the dragonfly. I'm still interested in why that shot has that cast, if you can figure it out - was that the actual color of the dragonfly?
Here is the 100% crop-hope it helps. Haven't touched the WB the colors seem to be right for me.

Andras