Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

31 Ltd. - my, oh my...

It's hard to really get a full impression of how a lens will perform for you just by looking at the test charts, image samples and reviews online. Because what's missing from all of that helpful information is something very important (to me, at least) and subjective: the "feel" of the lens.

It's hard to quantify or even qualify, but some lenses just "feel" right. And man, I just have to say that today when I received the 31mm Ltd. it felt right before I even put it on my camera. It felt even better on the 10D... and it just kept going from there. What an incredible piece of glass this is.

Over the past seven days I've been playing with the DA 14, 21, 40, 70, the 35/2, 50/1.4 & the 43 Ltd.. Without exception they are all incredible lenses. The pancakes are remarkable in their small size & weight combined with IQ.

But the 31 Ltd. does truly feel like it's in a league of its own. I'm pretty convinced it's the perfect lens for my "single lens" experiment over the next six months. And I got it for $736 new, after the $100 rebate.

Mmmmm... I'm in love. I'll post a few pics later, just because.

08-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
It's hard to really get a full impression of how a lens will perform for you just by looking at the test charts, image samples and reviews online. Because what's missing from all of that helpful information is something very important (to me, at least) and subjective: the "feel" of the lens.

It's hard to quantify or even qualify, but some lenses just "feel" right. And man, I just have to say that today when I received the 31mm Ltd. it felt right before I even put it on my camera. It felt even better on the 10D... and it just kept going from there. What an incredible piece of glass this is.

Over the past seven days I've been playing with the DA 14, 21, 40, 70, the 35/2, 50/1.4 & the 43 Ltd.. Without exception they are all incredible lenses. The pancakes are remarkable in their small size & weight combined with IQ.

But the 31 Ltd. does truly feel like it's in a league of its own. I'm pretty convinced it's the perfect lens for my "single lens" experiment over the next six months. And I got it for $736 new, after the $100 rebate.

Mmmmm... I'm in love. I'll post a few pics later, just because.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

I have the 35/2 - and was interested to see the difference in IQ between the 31 and 35.

If possible could you post pictures of the same scene shot from the two lens?

Thanks

Last edited by VAV; 08-08-2007 at 12:12 PM.
08-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll try to take some comparison shots later if I have time.

In answer to your question... the 35/2 is a fine lens and I'm very pleased with the quality. It is well-reviewed by nearly everyone, and often placed almost on par with the 31.

But, from a purely subjective point of view, it doesn't INSPIRE me nearly as much as the 31 does. Wish I could be more specific, but that's how it is. The 31 makes me want to go take pictures. I feel more like an artist using that lens. I like the way it feels on the K10D... solid, just the right size to balance in my hand, sturdy hood that is permanently attached (for some that's a complaint, but I like it).

Beach Camera has a 2-week return policy... IMO, it's worth $20 in shipping costs to try it out if you're thinking of buying it, especially with the $100 rebate on. That was my logic, at least.
08-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #4

Same here, i replaced my kit lens with the 31 and plan to use it exclusively till I have a definite kit in mind. The fit and finish are superb. Noone mentions that the inside of the lens hood is actually flocked to prevent light bounce to the lens. Or that the lens cover has a cool green felt lining.

08-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I think LBA is really a part of most Pentax users. The urge is there to satisty this kind of addiction, and it is an addiction I know of that makes as drool for more, more and more.Congrats for your new toy

Cheers,

Rene R
08-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
31mm Ltd

The only problem with the 31mm Ltd is the lens hood. It might have been ok for film, but it is not up to the more demanding requirements of digital. My first outing with it was blighted by flare until I realised.

You should fashion yourself a hood with some glass-less filter rings and possibly a rubber hood on top of that.

08-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Or perhaps with this one:

But now the OP says he likes the inbuilt hood... That makes him, the constructor and... well maybe one or two more.

The original hood didn't do it with 35mm film either. With the Sony sensor it gets plain stupid.

im(h)o,

08-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great solution!

**Something to note for AF users using non-Internal Focusing lenses**

Adding extra weight to the focus tube = more strain on the AF motor = reduced life of AF motor + possibility of more AF anomalies.
08-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My first outing with it was blighted by flare until
I've tried every which way to see any affects from flare with my 31 and have found none. It's really an amazing lens. I'm surprised you had any problems with it.
08-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Congrats on the 31! It's very quickly become my favorite lens, rarely leaving the camera. It just feels so darn good!
08-09-2007, 02:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Congrats on the 31! It's very quickly become my favorite lens, rarely leaving the camera. It just feels so darn good!
Its too bad lenses like that come with a $700 + price tag. Back in the day, Pentax used to make every lens like that (M42 takumars, K and M lens generations)..or to the best of their ability anyways.
08-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Fa 31 ltd really shines; it has a consistent performance across all apertures.

No, it is not heavy at all by all means. Especially when you compare this lens to other competition brands. Never noticed flare problems either. The lens wide open in combination with high ISO at night really amazes me: rich colour with good details and clarity.

I bought it when the price was not too high from BH. This is my 2nd most used lens
08-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Its too bad lenses like that come with a $700 + price tag. Back in the day, Pentax used to make every lens like that (M42 takumars, K and M lens generations)..or to the best of their ability anyways.
I think CAD$900 for this lens is cheap. If it had a Canon logo you can bet it will be sporting a much much higher price tag. Of course the FA35 can be had for much less and it delivers pretty similar image quality.

Put me in the camp for disliking that built in lens hood. My 31 would see a lot more use without it.