Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #1

Exakta Lenses?

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has used or seen the results of the Exakta 24mm f2.8 lens, or any other Exekta lens on a Pentax DSLR?

I have searched Google and there are NO references to this lens at all. There is quite a bit of info on the Exakta camera only.

What are they like quality wise?

Sample of lens on ebay...

Exakta 24mm F2.8 MC MACRO f. Pentax KA - eBay, Objektive, Foto Camcorder. (end time 11-Jul-10 07:13:53 AEST)

I'm thinking it might be a cheap alternative to the Pentax 24mm f2.8 but don't feel comfortable taking the risk and buying one.

06-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
search for camera system regestry distances. You should be able to find a chart that lists all the known camera mounts, type, thread size a d pitch (or byonette). It also gives the regestry distance I.e the distance from mount to sensor plane
06-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The exakta mount should only be 1-2mm farther out than the K mount. I believe this is just a boner mistake by the seller. It's unlikely that this was modified to a K-A mount. K mount would be far more likely.
06-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
There are quite a few KA versions of this lens on Ebay (most from Germany).

So this lens was never originaly released in the KA mount?

06-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've never heard of a Pentax mount 24mm macro lens.

There's a slight chance that the lens was modified to the KA mount but since the seller makes no mention of it in the listing, I doubt it. If this were a KA lens, it would be worth a lot more and most sellers would be tooting their horns about the modification.

It says EXAKTA on the lens itself. I think it's safe to say that the seller made a mistake.
06-12-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
Apparently it was made for the K mount used by Ricoh as it has the Ricoh pin, which theoretically should fit the PK mount right?
06-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
Here is another example of the same lens, but different seller

Exakta für Pentax A 24mm 1:2,8 Macro PKA Automatik TOP - eBay, Objektive, Foto Camcorder. (end time 14-Jun-10 04:15:12 AEST)

EDIT: If you have a look through the pics of the link above, you will notice the mount is PK/A and the serial number starts with an R. Could the R stand for Ricoh?

EDIT 2: And it even has the Multi Coating (possibly SMC?). Hmmm...I wonder if this is a wolf in sheep's clothing, i.e. a Pentax optics wrapped in a different body (ala Lester A Dine, Vivitar etc 105mm)

Last edited by CrazyNuts; 06-12-2010 at 07:36 PM.
06-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is, indeed, a KA (Pentax/Ricoh) mount. But the pin seems to be of the harmless kind.

It can't have the SMC. SMC are Pentax's proprietary coatings.

06-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hmm...wondering if I should take the risk and buy a copy.

I just don't want to spend $160AU on a doorstop/paper weight.
06-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally, I wouldn't take such risk.
06-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
Here is another example of the same lens, but different seller
My mistake, this is actually a PK mount lens. However, it sure as hell is not a macro lens by any means.

Some sample photos:
Exakta 24mm 1:2.8 MC MACRO | TrekLens

My opinion is that the image quality seems good, definitely above average. But for a $100+ price tag, you're better off with a Pentax-A 24mm f2.8. At least then you'd know what you're getting, it'll also hold value much better than this Exakta lens.

Other Pentax made and Vivitar 24mm 2.8 lens are fine too, most of the non auto aperture ones can be had for well under $100.
06-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

By macro they most probably mean close focus abilitiies. Not unheard of in 3rd party lens world. Espcialy Sigma & Vivitar.
Anyway, for that price you should be able to find A24/2.8 as mntioned or Sigma 24/2.8 in MF or even AF version.
06-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter

This is not the "true" Exakta lens or mount, but the later Japanese product labeled as Exacta. The lens is probably OK, but not worth paying a premium price for. Value should be about the same as a no-name or house-brand lens of the same focal length.

Steve
06-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #14

Highway Robbery!

Stevebrot is right, this lens isn't German but probably Japanese or sourced from somewhere in Asia.

Towards the end Exakta didn't make there own cameras or lenses. Exakta relabeled 3rd party equipment and sold it on the cheap. I remember seeing Exakta camera lenses clearanced out for less than $20 bucks. The seller on eBay is waaaaay overcharging. Just look for old Exakta cameras on eBay, Craigslist or resale shopping. You'll often find the lens you are looking for attached to it at a more reasonable price.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is not the "true" Exakta lens or mount, but the later Japanese product labeled as Exacta. The lens is probably OK, but not worth paying a premium price for. Value should be about the same as a no-name or house-brand lens of the same focal length.

Steve
06-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

I'll hold out for an SMC-A 24mm f2.8 then. Although, the last one sold on ebay for $AU354

Anyone want to sell me theirs?

I have another question, how much of a difference is there between the 24mm and the 28mm Pentax? Is there a considerable change in angle?

I might settle for a 28mm, but I think the 24mm is more usable.