Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
Cbay,

I am sure the 100-300 is a solid performer all things considered. I have owned the 55-300 and currently the 50-135 - the 55-300 is definitely a great performer, but they are simply different categories of lenses; there is no comparison.

The OP is looking at the sigma 100-300 f4 and pentax 60-250mm f4 - both lenses are in a completely different category as well, with fast constant apertures the accompanying glass needed to make the lenses adds significant weight, meaning a tripod collar is a must. Also, at these focal lengths with SR yes, alot of photos come out useable, but they are simply not as sharp as when using a tripod/monopod, which both add a significant amount of stability and therefore sharpness to images, regardless of SR (whether combined or as a complete alternative).

06-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20
Happy DA* 60-250mm Owner

I own the smc Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4.0 ED [IF] SDM lens. This was an upgrade from the smc Pentax F 70-210mm f/4-5.6 ED I used for a few years. Let me state that the 60-250mm is a fabulous zoom lens! Yes it is heavy however I find it very easy to use the tripod collar as a handle when I am doing hand held shots. I shoot hand held about 90% of the time. Please examine my gallery to confirm what can be done with this great lens. Now once I start using a tripod I imagine my quality of shot will certainly rise.

Flickr: Chr1st0ph3r (The Bird Man of Belle Isle)'s Photostream
06-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by Chr1st0ph3r Quote
Yes it is heavy however I find it very easy to use the tripod collar as a handle when I am doing hand held shots.
Yupp, that is exactly, how I use the tripod collars on my longer lenses, when shooting handheld. Tamron in the distant past even included a nice little handgrip to add to the tripod mount of their bigger lenses. It certainly gives added stability.

Ben
06-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Cbay,

I am sure the 100-300 is a solid performer all things considered. I have owned the 55-300 and currently the 50-135 - the 55-300 is definitely a great performer, but they are simply different categories of lenses; there is no comparison.

The OP is looking at the sigma 100-300 f4 and pentax 60-250mm f4 - both lenses are in a completely different category as well, with fast constant apertures the accompanying glass needed to make the lenses adds significant weight, meaning a tripod collar is a must. Also, at these focal lengths with SR yes, alot of photos come out useable, but they are simply not as sharp as when using a tripod/monopod, which both add a significant amount of stability and therefore sharpness to images, regardless of SR (whether combined or as a complete alternative).
I completely agree with you, but a good FA 100-300 is maybe less than 100 bucks. How'bout that? It was just my thought though, only grave robbers can take that lens apart from my fingers..

If I had time I was gonna post fresh samples, maybe tomorrow.

06-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 356
Original Poster
Hi all:

Thanx so much for all of your comments. I like the extra reach of the Sigma 120-400. My sense is that the f/4 factor is a nice plus for the other 2 lenses, but it likely would be an outdoor lens, though having an extra stop is nice. I kind of go back and forth.

I like the Sigma 100-300 given what I now have read is excellent build quality and optics.

I like the weather sealing of the 60-250, but that is more icing on the cake than crucial. Getting a Sigma that can work full frame (I am sure DA* lenses will work on a one day full frame Pentax, but at a loss of resolution) is a nice plus.

The Sigma 120-400 also is a few hundred less than both other lenses. I am leaning towards the Sigma, especially given the extra reach.

I kind of hoped I will choose the Pentax since I would be tempted to sell my 50-135 DA* to make the purchase easier.

Thanx again for all of your comemnts.

Gregg
06-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
Good insight there Gregg.
The 120-400 is a good lens, but you'll have your work cut out for you to get sharp action shots at 400mm, especially in cloudy conditions.

You can also consider the Tamron 70-200/2.8 with Tamron 1.4x TC, which gives you the equivalent of a 100-280/4 lens. For most sporting situations from the side lines, this reach should suffice. You may even find 100mm too much reach in some instances when the action gets closer to you, so take that into consideration also.
06-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 356
Original Poster
Thanx Ash. Good to hear from you.

I like the 50-135 as I use it for portraits in my home studio, usually at around f/8. Does anyone have the 60-250 DA* that uses it for portrait work, too?

I have the 55 DA* 1.4--so I have that for use at wide open for portraits, though, I am tempted to look at the Sigma 85 1.4 when it becomes available.

Earlier this evening I found an excellent review of the Sigma 120-400 with comparisons to the Canon 100-400 L and a Canon 300 prime. The Sigma came away on par and exceeded the Canon lenses in some instances, and when it was a bit behind it was close.

I probably am thinking this through too much.

Thanx again all.

Gregg
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,913
QuoteQuote:

You can also consider the Tamron 70-200/2.8 with Tamron 1.4x TC, which gives you the equivalent of a 100-280/4 lens. For most sporting situations from the side lines, this reach should suffice. You may even find 100mm too much reach in some instances when the action gets closer to you, so take that into consideration also.
I recently got the Tamron 70-200 and it has very good IQ and recommend it if you are only going to 200mm. (I'm avoiding SDM lenses at the moment).

I'm looking at the Sigma 150-500 next. Sports is not high on my list of subjects so I think the slow speed will be OK.

06-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 85
QuoteOriginally posted by lawjbm Quote
Hi all:

Thanx so much for all of your comments. I like the extra reach of the Sigma 120-400. My sense is that the f/4 factor is a nice plus for the other 2 lenses, but it likely would be an outdoor lens, though having an extra stop is nice. I kind of go back and forth.

I like the Sigma 100-300 given what I now have read is excellent build quality and optics.

I like the weather sealing of the 60-250, but that is more icing on the cake than crucial. Getting a Sigma that can work full frame (I am sure DA* lenses will work on a one day full frame Pentax, but at a loss of resolution) is a nice plus.

The Sigma 120-400 also is a few hundred less than both other lenses. I am leaning towards the Sigma, especially given the extra reach.

I kind of hoped I will choose the Pentax since I would be tempted to sell my 50-135 DA* to make the purchase easier.

Thanx again for all of your comemnts.

Gregg
If it helps in your decision - B&H lists the Pentax mount version of the Sigma 100-300 as discontinued, so it could be a challenge to find.
06-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #25
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
Gregg, I wouldn't think many would be using the 60-250 as a portrait lens, given its sheer size and focal range overkill. Primes suffice for that application, of which I'd easily recommend the FA 77 ltd.

60-250 would do well in sports, though. f/4 is plenty fast enough for the action, and this lens can be used wide open.
06-15-2010, 05:04 AM   #26
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,255
I don't own any of these lenses, but Falconeye has checked the DA *60-250 and it does cover full frame without significant vignetting.
06-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 356
Original Poster
Hi:

Thanx all for your input. As usual, you have been a great help.

I will sit on the decision for a few days and then try to decide. After thinking about it more today, more than I should have, I actually am leaning towards the DA* 60-250 given its lighter weight, f/4 speed, and weather sealing. Plus, the Sigma 100-300 is hard to find and the Sigma 120-400, after some thought, seems a bit too slow and perhaps is not quite as sharp as the other two.

Of course, I am sure they are all great lenses, but if I am going to spend a bit less or more than $1k I want to make the best choice!!!

Thanx again.

Gregg
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, bit, concern, da*, k-mount, k7, lenses, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KX Advice Sought Jewelltrail Pentax DSLR Discussion 62 03-08-2010 09:47 PM
Strobist advice sought mi2nc Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 7 04-20-2009 11:00 AM
Tripod Advice Sought Jewelltrail Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 13 02-13-2009 05:14 AM
Your advice sought - new lenses - zoom and macro doggydude Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 12-31-2007 05:16 AM
Seeking advice: ideas on a zoom sought doggydude Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 08-09-2007 11:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:32 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top