Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
They didnt but sure could use a less then $100 lens that is F/1.8 or faster.

as much as i want to, very hard to drop the money for pancakes which is what Pentax supposedly does best for the photography i do.
I assume that someone in charge at Pentax has at least considered some plan like this. My idea: drop the FA50/1.4, reintroduce the FA50/1.7, sell for $200. Yeah, some would complain about what used to be, while everyone else complains about the lenses not being in stock. My price is high but F50/1.7s approach that today and they're 20 years old. Why should Pentax settle for $100 when they obviously could ask for more?

So the answer (besides everyone at Pentax being oblivious) is that it can't be done or they don't want to. Can't be done could mean production issues or $200 means no profit. Production would mean a whole new line just like any new lens, possibly robbing capacity from more profitable lenses. Don't want to - well, I bet Leica could make cheaper lenses and they don't.

06-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What 50mm f1.8? There has never been such a lens from Pentax. There was the m42 55mm f1.8. They are still making the FA 50mm f1.4.
Forgive him, the TS is only a college kid...
06-15-2010, 05:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Clearly Pentax can't sell primes for 100 dollars or less. The number of lenses they sell per year altogether is probably less than the number of 50 f1.8's that Canon sells. At the same time, they do need an entry prime in the 30-ish range (not sure why 50 always comes up, I think it should be a normal focal length). Make it f2, no quick shift, plastic mount, but good optics and sell it for 200 dollars. It would certainly get folks started on primes and as we know, once you start, there is no going back.
06-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
They didnt but sure could use a less then $100 lens that is F/1.8 or faster.[/center]
So you wax nostalgic over a lens that not only did you never have but which also never existed and find fault with Pentax for not doing again that which they never did in the first place?

And at what point in history did anyone ever offer a fast $50 brand-new that was less than $100 in 2010 dollars? There are tons of perfectly fine Pentax fast 50 (55) lenses out there used for less than $100. Is there some reason one of those will not serve your needs?

QuoteQuote:
as much as i want to, very hard to drop the money for pancakes which is what Pentax supposedly does best for the photography i do.
I've never done photography so I wouldn't know anything about that. For the pictures I take, though, they have produced several lenses over the course of their history which I have found to be very satisfactory.