Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #76
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
On the subject of cars and lenses, is it bad when you start selling off car parts to pay for a lens?

I do all of the work on my cars, and that is the very reason why I drive front engine, rear wheel drive cars. More room to work. I like other cars, yes. But, don't like to work on those with such cramped engine bays. Honda Civic's aren't so bad though.

That only works on OBD1 systems. They changed it in OBDII.

You know, you just gave me an idea. I can perhaps sell one of my kidneys to finance this thing . . . . . . You only need one, really.

06-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #77
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You mean that not everyone drives a 1995 Geo Tracker like me?

I'm shocked!!
You maybe able to trade that in for one of those Takumar lenses. Although I still think that a bit of luck is needed for dat. In california, driving a 1995 Geo tracker is a legally legitimate probable cause for cops to pull you over.
06-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #78
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nubi, not sure if you've been told this yet, but it seems your LBA hasn't ended - it's just in recess.
06-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #79
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
You maybe able to trade that in for one of those Takumar lenses. Although I still think that a bit of luck is needed for dat. In california, driving a 1995 Geo tracker is a legally legitimate probable cause for cops to pull you over.
In Florida, it's still not a crime to be poor. I know it is in California, where the entire STATE is broke.

I love northern California, but from what I hear about your financial situation and the costs and taxes, no way.

For instance, we have no state income tax in Florida, and my sales tax is 6%.

And like I said, spend a day at the beach here and enjoy free oil!!!

It goes great with Romaine and your Buick!!!

06-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #80
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
In Florida, it's still not a crime to be poor. I know it is in California, where the entire STATE is broke.

I love northern California, but from what I hear about your financial situation and the costs and taxes, no way.

For instance, we have no state income tax in Florida, and my sales tax is 6%.

And like I said, spend a day at the beach here and enjoy free oil!!!

It goes great with Romaine and your Buick!!!

Completely agree with ya. It sucks to live in California. The state tax they just bumped up not too long ago. It really pisses me off. That dumb ass terminator is turing into a shameless tax collector. Sales taxes are pushing 10%. Gasoline tax is insane. The state is near completely broke, as you say.

I have had job offers in Florida. No kidding. But, the compensation package for someone like me is typically a bit less in Florida. I am not sure how the cost of living difference would play out, and there is no way of knowing this before hand, until I move there. Cost of moving is typically provided, but only up to a point. I have seriously considered it, but I am scared to pull the trigger.

Speaking of Sales tax, the prime minister of Japan just announced that he is considering to bump up their sales tax to about 10%. This is a bit of a concern. The reason is that as a foreigner, we are tax exempt. But of course, I need to fly over there to buy it in person, which obviously cost money. If I asked my friend to buy me one, then they have to pay sales tax. If the camera and the lens cost nearly a 10 grand, then the sales tax will be close to a thousand dollars, which is enough to buy a lens.

At many electronics store there, they have this funky "point system," where each point represent one yen, and what they do is to give 10% worth of "points" with every purchase, and this can be used towards the next purchase. So I guess this is a wash, more or less.

I swear, a purchase this big ought to have a tax incentive.
06-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in the same boat with AT&T, only with a Blackberry instead. I was thinking of getting the new iPhone, then I thought of how terrible their service, and customer service, is and just decided to get something simple from Verizon. I believe I heard on the radio that they were having some specials if you switch over from another carrier.

Hm . . . . .

My iphone is up for renewal. No way. I am getting rid of it. AT & T sucks anyway. Their so called 3 G network is essentially a dud.

I am switching to Verizon for a free phone of some kind. That would save me about 40 dollars a month.

$40 x 12 months = 480

YES!!! Score!!!
06-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #82
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I'm in the same boat with AT&T, only with a Blackberry instead. I was thinking of getting the new iPhone, then I thought of how terrible their service, and customer service, is and just decided to get something simple from Verizon. I believe I heard on the radio that they were having some specials if you switch over from another carrier.
You know, as little as I use my cell phone, I should just get a pay-as-you-go phone. In fact, I just may do that . . . . .
06-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #83
Nubi

Here is a thought

Maybe I can refinance my mortgage. I am locked in at 6.5%.

06-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #84
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nubi, not sure if you've been told this yet, but it seems your LBA hasn't ended - it's just in recess.

Yes I have been told of that. But I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it. I don't believe it.

06-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #85
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
dude.

from that sorry pleading tone, to your plans to get the 645D, nothing states in the slightest that you LBA has ended. you are still in it deep, man.

Well, I suppose it is sort of like smoking cessation.

But today (actually few days ago), I have decided to stop buying lenses period.

It is not because it is getting out of control. It is not that I am running out of storage place, as I don't have that many. I now only have 16 lenses, down from 19. This is nothing compared to what some of you happen to have.

The reason for this nonsense is that I am going to buy a 645D in the future. I am thinking 6 months to 18 months from now I will have it. Theoretically I can get it now, but that would compel me to sell many more of the lenses I already have. I don't want to do that.

I have a K-7 now, and if and when the k-7 replacement comes out, or if FF comes out ever, I will pass on both of them. I will keep my K-7, because I feel that K-7 is one of the best DSLR/APS-C cameras out there (for me anyway). I think it is way under-rated. Therefore I will keep all of my current possessions.

I think that the future of DSLR is MF. Eventually, I think that all DSLR will be set up like Leica S2; a huge sensor in a reasonably small body.

Sorry, guys, another useless thread by me, but I needed to post it so that it is well documented. In fact, I am going to bookmark this thread and make it a default on my PC.

Wish me luck please.
06-18-2010, 12:43 AM   #86
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by ohyouloveme Quote
dude.

from that sorry pleading tone, to your plans to get the 645D, nothing states in the slightest that you LBA has ended. you are still in it deep, man.
Dude, you read between the lines too much. :ugh:

This is not a Pentax Buzzkll Forum, Sir. Unless Adam wants to rename it - doubt it.

But at least give me a chance to come out of this (with all of my faculties intact). There have to be someone who has kicked LBA. There have to be. My wife pleads that someone help me. My kid asks that I get some help so that she can one day attend college. My neighbor asks that I get some help so that I will stop stealing off his tomato plants to save money.
06-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #87
Veteran Member

This thread is great! It's like watching those people who try to run across a continent, climb high mountains, or sail across the world. It's Nubi's journey to the 645D. What new challenge will you overcome this episode as you trek to your destination. What impossibly beautiful lens will you turn down this month with your eye always on that 645D? I, for one, am rooting for you all the way.

I know for sure that if it were me on that road, the week after I got my hands on one, Pentax would release the 645D MkII or something in all it's 2.8fps, 60MP, 16 stop DR, clean to ISO3200 glory...
06-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #88

all is lost. someone on the other forum just received his 645d and is threatening to unleash photos soon. long and thoughtful exchanges on lenses for that, too, are bound to follow, doubtless accompanied by sample photos. no escape from lba even when you reach the promised land. kidney sales on craigs list and ebay are bound to increase by leaps and bounds.
06-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #89
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
This thread is great! It's like watching those people who try to run across a continent, climb high mountains, or sail across the world. It's Nubi's journey to the 645D. What new challenge will you overcome this episode as you trek to your destination. What impossibly beautiful lens will you turn down this month with your eye always on that 645D? I, for one, am rooting for you all the way.

I know for sure that if it were me on that road, the week after I got my hands on one, Pentax would release the 645D MkII or something in all it's 2.8fps, 60MP, 16 stop DR, clean to ISO3200 glory...

Thank you for rooting for me!!

I you really think about it, the price of that camera is way over the top, but only if you just looked at the price. Yes, comparisons to other MF systems have been well mentioned, and yes it is a bargain from that standpoint. But, nonetheless, it is a mountain to climb. It is a bit scary. I have never spent that kind of money that has no practical applications other than recording images. I know that I will never ever be a profession photographer. Am I really sure that I want to do this?

The answer is YES. I will do it.

Currently, that A*200 macro is occupying my thoughts a lot lately. Paypal buyer's credit and I can pay off monthly in course of a year without setting me back too much.
I really want that stupid lens.

Legendary SMC Pentax A* 200mm f/4 Macro ED Lens w/Box - eBay (item 260620804733 end time Jun-20-10 20:46:28 PDT)

My forecast is that it will be about $2,300. Hm . . . . .
06-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #90
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
all is lost. someone on the other forum just received his 645d and is threatening to unleash photos soon. long and thoughtful exchanges on lenses for that, too, are bound to follow, doubtless accompanied by sample photos. no escape from lba even when you reach the promised land. kidney sales on craigs list and ebay are bound to increase by leaps and bounds.

Threatening to unleash, huh???

Maybe I can do split liver donation. Liver tissues regenerate very very well. I can donate my sperms also. I would surrogate a baby if I could.

Wait a minute.

POP! The First Human Male Pregnancy - Mr. Lee Mingwei

Guys, all of us maybe able to own one in about 9 months.