Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #61
Nubi

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hm . . . . .

My iphone is up for renewal. No way. I am getting rid of it. AT & T sucks anyway. Their so called 3 G network is essentially a dud.

I am switching to Verizon for a free phone of some kind. That would save me about 40 dollars a month.

$40 x 12 months = 480

YES!!! Score!!!

06-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #62
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
You do know that it's just a simple 3-wire plug and 2 screw clamps that hold it on, right? Takes 10mins to change it out.

...and their angle grinders are garbage. I had one come apart in my hand while using it to cut through a fender. Had maybe 4hrs total use on the thing. They replaced it with another one, which promptly locked up upon startup. Their customer service is excellent, though, lol.

No, I didn't know that. But you know, most of the small stuff he does it for free. Oil and filter change, rotate tires, and all that. If you look into the hood of an Audi, there is barely a space to stick your hand in. I have no idea what an air mass sensor is. Besides, after he put it in, he drove it around for 50 miles or so, and he actually took it to the smog check place and have them pass it.

So I guess I am ok with that . . . . . I think.
06-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #63
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Hmmm.. lawn. That particular pleasure for nearly two hours is actually just waiting for me. Luckily I don't have to be alone: a gazillion mosquitos will be joining me. The upside is I only have to do this about 4 months a year. On the other hand, most of the other months I have the priviledge of shoveling snow.

On the topic of LBA: I believe you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave. But perhaps the garden variety LBA is actually a minor evil compared to the digital medium format you lust for! As the GetDPI medium format forum quotes Dante: "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

Didn't know Dante spoke English.
I also have to deal with 100 degree heat for about 3 months out of the year. But, we don't have that big of an area to mow. It is the tree branch cutting that requires more dedication . . . . .

You are scaring me, emr. But you see, deep inside I know that I am doomed. I know I know . . . . .
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #64
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
There's an inexpensive hardware chain called Harbor Freight, and in their circulars, every other product that runs on gas says "Not available in California."
Perhaps I ought to move to Florida. Wait. There is Mexico right down the street . . . . I heard you can pollute your heart out down there.

06-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #65
Nubi

This is not good

Legendary SMC Pentax A* 200mm f/4 Macro ED Lens w/Box - eBay (item 260620804733 end time Jun-20-10 20:46:28 PDT)

I almost bought a copy in Japan. I really want this lens.
06-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't a lot to add to this thread except to say, guys I reckon, IMHO, this is the best thread on the Forums for a long time. A great read, and a good laugh here and there.

Thanks guys, I have enjoyed the read immensely.
Keep it going if you are so inclined.

LBA? when it comes down to it, I am sure it afflicts each and every one of us.
06-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #67
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I haven't a lot to add to this thread except to say, guys I reckon, IMHO, this is the best thread on the Forums for a long time. A great read, and a good laugh here and there.

Thanks guys, I have enjoyed the read immensely.
Keep it going if you are so inclined.

LBA? when it comes down to it, I am sure it afflicts each and every one of us.

Thank you, Bruce.

It is a journey, more or less.

Other than the withdrawals, it has been fun, actually. I was going to keep it going until I get shut down by one of the moderators!!!

Just kidding, of course.

06-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #68
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Perhaps I ought to move to Florida.
Come on down! And bring a bucket:

Free oil!!!
06-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #69
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Good news, it won't be me bidding against you, I don't want or need this one.
06-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #70
Ira
Inactive Account

Precisely.

Here is the history on this. About 3 years ago, that stupid check engine light all sudden came on, and obviously fearing imminent explosion I took it to my mechanic, whom I have been going for over 10 years. He checked out the car, reset the check engine light, and off I went (he did this for free). About a thousand miles later, it did the same thing. We repeated the drill again (he did this for free, again), and off I went (without being blown to bits and pieces). Then the time came to do the smog inspection. This was 2 years ago. It didn't pass then. So my mechanic reset it again (no charge, again), and I drove it around for about 30 miles, and took it back to smog inspection, and at that time the car passed, along with me I guess. Then the 2 years had passed, and this time around resetting the check engine light and driving around didn't do the trick.

So, my mechanic, who is a better diagnostician than me the physician, said that it was a air mass sensor. He got the part for $275, and charged me 200 to put it in. I need to drive around for about 100 miles and take it back.

The symptoms my car was having was exactly what you described. It had been driving like a complete shit. Although I didn't tap on this thing, I am sure my mechanic did. We trust this guy, he has been there for years and years, he has won numerous awards for his honesty (if you can believe that, a car mechanic for honesty).

So five hundreds of George Washington have left me already.
If you remove the cables to your battery for a few seconds, it will also turn off the light. But you'll have to reset your radio's preset stations and the time.
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the subject of cars and lenses, is it bad when you start selling off car parts to pay for a lens?

If you look into the hood of an Audi, there is barely a space to stick your hand in.
I do all of the work on my cars, and that is the very reason why I drive front engine, rear wheel drive cars. More room to work. I like other cars, yes. But, don't like to work on those with such cramped engine bays. Honda Civic's aren't so bad though.

If you remove the cables to your battery for a few seconds, it will also turn off the light.
That only works on OBD1 systems. They changed it in OBDII.
06-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #72
Ira
Inactive Account

You mean that not everyone drives a 1995 Geo Tracker like me?

I'm shocked!!
06-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #73
Nubi

Come on down! And bring a bucket:

Free oil!!!
I think I am going to need more than one bucket.
06-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #74
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Good news, it won't be me bidding against you, I don't want or need this one.

Can you buy this lens and hang onto it until I get my 645D?? Then I will buy it off you with the rate of depreciation at around 35%/yr????

Thank you!!!!!
06-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #75
Nubi

If you remove the cables to your battery for a few seconds, it will also turn off the light. But you'll have to reset your radio's preset stations and the time.
I actually did that too. But the thing is that I had to drive it around for a while, even for the machine to consider it viable for testing. Too late anyway. It has been a set back, but the way I look at it is that it is cheaper than buying a new car. That would crush me.