Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #106

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
A very good point. As a matter of fact, I have considered it. I am locked in at 30 yr fixed at 6.5 %. I have paid a point (if you can believe that) for that rate, but it has been almost 2 years, so it is almost a wash if I were to refinance. I am with Chase, and they have offered my 5.61% with no point. I would like a bit more spread, but I may be able to negotiate another 0.2% or so. I live in souther cal, the real estate value has taken a big hit, but in my area, not as much thankfully. My house is still worth more than the face value of the loan, so yes, it is a consideration.

I am planning on calling them tomorrow. The good thing about Chase (if there is any) is that they say they will streamline it so that I don't need to come up with butt loads of documents.

Will see.

well if you are serious, here is a serious response. check out penfeddotorg. this is the pentagon fcu. it is possible to become a member by paying to join a small little organization that pops up as they query you about your membership in penfed. today the rate at penfed is 4.625& no points on a 30-year loan, but penfed does require a 1% loan origination fee. i did a refinance a few years ago almost all by email, including penfed sending a home inspector and a notary to my home. don't know what the servicing is like now. if you want to chance a 5/5 arm, the rate is 3.875% no points for their most creditworthy customers. you could end up buying a 645d sooner than expected and have no excuse for not giving in to lba.

06-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #107
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
well if you are serious, here is a serious response. check out penfeddotorg. this is the pentagon fcu. it is possible to become a member by paying to join a small little organization that pops up as they query you about your membership in penfed. today the rate at penfed is 4.625& no points on a 30-year loan, but penfed does require a 1% loan origination fee. i did a refinance a few years ago almost all by email, including penfed sending a home inspector and a notary to my home. don't know what the servicing is like now. if you want to chance a 5/5 arm, the rate is 3.875% no points for their most creditworthy customers. you could end up buying a 645d sooner than expected and have no excuse for not giving in to lba.

No, I don't want to chance 5/5. I think that I can afford 645D without doing that.

This 4.645% - this is a conforming loan, correct? In my county, anything above $417,000 is a jumbo. So, I doubt I can get that rate. But I will look into it. Thanks for the tip! I am serious about it; both 645D and refinancing.
06-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #108
Nubi

I stayed away!!!

Legendary SMC Pentax A* 200mm f/4 Macro ED Lens w/Box - eBay (item 260620804733 end time Jun-20-10 20:46:28 PDT)

$1,700 is probably not a bad price, assuming that it was in top shape. Hew!!
06-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Legendary SMC Pentax A* 200mm f/4 Macro ED Lens w/Box - eBay (item 260620804733 end time Jun-20-10 20:46:28 PDT)

$1,700 is probably not a bad price, assuming that it was in top shape. Hew!!
Did you bid on it Nubi? :-P You did didn't you? Well I am on the same boat as you are. Though, I have set limits and goals for buying lenses so I don't go overboard... I made a "rewards and goals" spread sheet, and when I meet these goals I can reward myself with a lens.

Oh being in school does not help LBA... I just need two more years and then residency and then I can start to become really addicted to LBA, like I am not already... stupid photos with the FA 77 ltd. started it. I got that lens and then said ohhh and ahhhhhh and now I want the FA 31.

Nubi, I think I will take your advice on the DA 40 instead of the FA 43. Of course I still need a good macro lens, so the D-fa 100 WR is on my short list as well as a DA* 200... That should be good until the end of school :-D. I need another hobby where I can't collect nor upgrade anything...

Good luck to you Nubi and congrats on the photo acceptance at the "prefecture exhibition!"

06-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #110
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Did you bid on it Nubi? :-P You did didn't you? Well I am on the same boat as you are. Though, I have set limits and goals for buying lenses so I don't go overboard... I made a "rewards and goals" spread sheet, and when I meet these goals I can reward myself with a lens.

Oh being in school does not help LBA... I just need two more years and then residency and then I can start to become really addicted to LBA, like I am not already... stupid photos with the FA 77 ltd. started it. I got that lens and then said ohhh and ahhhhhh and now I want the FA 31.

Nubi, I think I will take your advice on the DA 40 instead of the FA 43. Of course I still need a good macro lens, so the D-fa 100 WR is on my short list as well as a DA* 200... That should be good until the end of school :-D. I need another hobby where I can't collect nor upgrade anything...

Good luck to you Nubi and congrats on the photo acceptance at the "prefecture exhibition!"

Oh no I didn't. I am stronger than that. :ugh: Besides, if I am going MF, it makes no sense to dump that kind of dough into a FF compatible lens. On top of that, it is used, and on ebay. When a lens is over a grand, and not new, I am a bit weary of it, as I have been screwed before. Having said that, I came pretty close to bidding about $1,500. But I knew it was gonna be higher. I am actually surprised how low of a price it went for.

You in med school? If you are, this is not a good time to be sucked into LBA madness!! I am not saying this in terms economic consequences. You only have fixed amount of time as we all do, and that amount of time is not enough for you to absorb what you need to in order to be a competent physician, or to get into the residency of your choice. As much of a nerd as we are as photographers, we need to be just as nerdy as physicians. I for one make certain that I do not spend more time in photography than reading medical literatures!! So, if you are a budding physician, then your another "hobby" ought to be medicine, and it is a whole lot cheaper, excluding tuitions which is through the roof these days.

Yes when you become an attending, your LBA can soar as high as a kite.

As for your DA 40, I say it is a good choice. Eventually, you can own FA 31, DA 40, numerous copies of 50, FA 77 ltd, A* 85, and some expensive macro at 100. Then you will want A*135!!

Another curve ball, not to confuse you, is DA 35 ltd macro, another fantastic lens. Then you can still have FA 43 and still be OK in terms of gaps between focal lengths.

Thank you for your kind words regarding acceptance of my photo. I am not quite sure how it happened . . . . .
06-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #111
Ira
Inactive Account

I am proud to say that my LBA has been dead for more than a week, because I'm broke.

So I coin the new term, "LEA": (LEA corrected thanks to SpecialK below.)

Lens Envy Addiction.

Last edited by Ira; 06-21-2010 at 05:20 PM.
06-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #112
Nubi

just re-financed at 5.12% 30 yr fixed with no point. It was the easiest refinance ever. They needed nothing. Awesome!!!!

06-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wanted to put 2000 bid on it, but the wife talked me out of it because of the oil heading our way and that will destroy our property value. So I guess I have to save my play money.
06-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #114
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I am proud to say that my LBA has been dead for more than a week, because I'm broke.

So I coin the new term, "LES":

Lens Envy Addiction.

Sorry, Ira. I hope things will turn around soon, an you get back on that horse in no time. Those Takumar lenses are waiting for you out there!!

I may be in better shape at the moment financially, but on the other hand, you never know about tomorrow. There is really a fine line. I for one have no idea how I stay afloat with all that money flying out of my checking account every month; mortgage, home equity loan, school loans, child care, car payments and insurance, and all the other nonsense. It can be really suffocating at times, and it really feels like disasters are just around the corner.
06-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #115
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I wanted to put 2000 bid on it, but the wife talked me out of it because of the oil heading our way and that will destroy our property value. So I guess I have to save my play money.
Hi, Fl_Gulfer,

Sorry about the oil nonsense. It is just awful. I cringe every time I hear about it.

Property values are scary. Living in Souther cal, our property had taken a huge hit in terms of its value, although our area has been relatively spared more or less. Still, I used to get chest pain every time I zillowed my property to see what the damage is.

But on the other hand, because of the downturn, my wife and I decided to stay put in the area even though we thought about moving to another state. I think that if you stay put long enough that the property value may turn around eventually. I hope that BP put an end to it soon (somehow I doubt it - I smell something very fishy from BP), and yes I hope you will have that A*200 soon and eventually. I hear it is THE finest lens Pentax has ever put out.
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #116
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
What is happening to our outrage about this BP F-Up?

The ironic thing about this uncontrolled gusher is that property values, and those of the entire country, plummeted way before this.

So it's not like we can point to this one thing as screwing people up in this regard.
06-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

So I coin the new term, "LES":

Lens Envy Addiction.
Eh, what?
06-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #118
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Eh, what?
TYPO!!!!!

Thanks for pointing that out!

Lens Envy Addiction--LEA.

I'm old, and people sometimes give me a pass on these screw-ups.

Plus, the "A" and "S" keys are next to each other. Which means I'm still an idiot, but I have to grasp at ANY straw to appear less so.

Last edited by Ira; 06-21-2010 at 05:23 PM.
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #119
Pentaxian

feel free to ignore my tag line..

It was written before I saw your thread.

Good luck- best to stay outside & take pictures so you won't see what just went up for sale
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #120
Nubi

What is happening to our outrage about this BP F-Up?

The ironic thing about this uncontrolled gusher is that property values, and those of the entire country, plummeted way before this.

So it's not like we can point to this one thing as screwing people up in this regard.

It really is a double-edged sword in that we demand and consume oil like there is no tomorrow. We (as in our government, I guess) of course gave these idiots a permission to drill there too. This is a man-made machine that sits a mile and a half below the surface of the sea, and of course things can go wrong.

But, that does not justify the extent of damages and the suffering of people down there. I do think that because we all need oil and consume it, we ought to be in it together. Our government ought to focus more on helping our people down there than trying to put more and more blame on BP no matter how justified that maybe.

Obama is botching it. This is no different from how that stupid idiot handled that hurricane in New Orleans few years ago. Don't rely on BP - they have proven that they are useless piece of dukies. We ought to clean it up ourselves. Gee.