Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #121
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
It was written before I saw your thread.

Good luck- best to stay outside & take pictures so you won't see what just went up for sale

Thanks!! I am working all night long, so I am less likely to slip . . . .

Eh, what is a tag line?

06-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
It really is a double-edged sword in that we demand and consume oil like there is no tomorrow. We (as in our government, I guess) of course gave these idiots a permission to drill there too. This is a man-made machine that sits a mile and a half below the surface of the sea, and of course things can go wrong.

But, that does not justify the extent of damages and the suffering of people down there. I do think that because we all need oil and consume it, we ought to be in it together. Our government ought to focus more on helping our people down there than trying to put more and more blame on BP no matter how justified that maybe.

Obama is botching it. This is no different from how that stupid idiot handled that hurricane in New Orleans few years ago. Don't rely on BP - they have proven that they are useless piece of dukies. We ought to clean it up ourselves. Gee.
simple. the U.S. cleans up the mess and at the same time implement a hostile take-over of the oil rig. then BP can do all the whining that they want this time. it is more like a reversal of roles.
06-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh no I didn't. I am stronger than that. :ugh: Besides, if I am going MF, it makes no sense to dump that kind of dough into a FF compatible lens. On top of that, it is used, and on ebay. When a lens is over a grand, and not new, I am a bit weary of it, as I have been screwed before. Having said that, I came pretty close to bidding about $1,500. But I knew it was gonna be higher. I am actually surprised how low of a price it went for.

You in med school? If you are, this is not a good time to be sucked into LBA madness!! I am not saying this in terms economic consequences. You only have fixed amount of time as we all do, and that amount of time is not enough for you to absorb what you need to in order to be a competent physician, or to get into the residency of your choice. As much of a nerd as we are as photographers, we need to be just as nerdy as physicians. I for one make certain that I do not spend more time in photography than reading medical literatures!! So, if you are a budding physician, then your another "hobby" ought to be medicine, and it is a whole lot cheaper, excluding tuitions which is through the roof these days.

Yes when you become an attending, your LBA can soar as high as a kite.

As for your DA 40, I say it is a good choice. Eventually, you can own FA 31, DA 40, numerous copies of 50, FA 77 ltd, A* 85, and some expensive macro at 100. Then you will want A*135!!

Another curve ball, not to confuse you, is DA 35 ltd macro, another fantastic lens. Then you can still have FA 43 and still be OK in terms of gaps between focal lengths.

Thank you for your kind words regarding acceptance of my photo. I am not quite sure how it happened . . . . .
I hear you on that Nubi, as such I am taking it to heart... and the answers is yes I am a med student. I just finished my finals so I'm spending a little more time on the forum, but I will be back in the books soon enough.

I looked at getting the DA 35 as well, but decided that since I started on the FA route, that I might probably stick to it. Not sure though about it as the DA's are very nice lenses!

Oh quick lens questions, FA* 24 F/2 New old stock, is is worth about $970 with shipping? I'm gonna die if that is a deal. Seems like it to me like a decent deal, as it's wider than the FA 31mm as it's closer to 50 on digital!

...Oh a FA* 85 F/1.4 NOS for $1700 ouch, nvm that's a little much for me...

Oh boy, if i buy this lens, i'm done with LBA for a long while as I bury myself in the books!

Last edited by theperception2008; 06-21-2010 at 08:49 PM.
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #124
Nubi

Apparently, after careful consideration, being a good medical student that theperception2008 is, he has decided to become Nubi's personal slave at the hospital I work at for the month of August.

It turns out that he is originally from the area that I live. A small world.

You will be working hard, dude. Do not plan on sleeping.

In return, he will get to play with my lenses.

06-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #125
Nubi

Score!!!!

Things are going well at the moment.

I unexpectedly received a check from my mortgate company, or should I say bank, for the escrow surplus for $859.89.

What this means is that my property tax, which is included in my mortgage, will be less. Wait, that means my property had been re-assessed at a lower value. Crap.

The thing about this check is that Mrs. Nubi does not have to know about it. This amounts to almost 10% of the street price of 645D right now.

Guys, I am getting there, getting there.
06-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #126
Inactive Account

Awesome. Sounds like you might have it a lot sooner than expected.

Last edited by Votesh; 06-22-2010 at 04:10 PM.
06-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #127
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Awesome. Sounds like you might have it a lot sooner than expected.

I am beginning to closely monitor this thing. Oh, yes.

‰ΏŠi.com - ƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒX PENTAX 645D ƒ{ƒfƒB ‰ΏŠi”δŠr

06-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #128
Inactive Account

Is that with the lens?

I am beginning to closely monitor this thing. Oh, yes.

‰ΏŠi.com - ƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒX PENTAX 645D ƒ{ƒfƒB ‰ΏŠi”δŠr
06-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #129
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Is that with the lens?

No. This is body only.

BUT, in Japan, many retail stores such as these have what they call a point system, where they give you roughly 10% of the purchase that can be redeemed for the next purchase. So, in this case, you roughly get $800 credit, which is almost enough to buy that 55. So, in reality, the street price for the body is slightly above 6G.
06-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #130

someone at luminous landscape just posted a page from photorumors claiming the 645d is coming to the us july 2010 and will be shown at willoughby's. the "story" is that pentax is planning to ship 200 units to the u.s. if true, your fate looks sealed.
06-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #131
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
someone at luminous landscape just posted a page from photorumors claiming the 645d is coming to the us july 2010 and will be shown at willoughby's. the "story" is that pentax is planning to ship 200 units to the u.s. if true, your fate looks sealed.

patk

Thank you for that. I wonder how much the street price is going to be. I have a price that I want to pay in mind . . . . About five thousand for the body, maybe six. If cheaper in Japan, then I have a plan for that as well. As far as I am concerned, my fate is already sealed. I am going to get one, sooner or later. I am also trying to figure out how I ought to upgrade my computer too.
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #132

see Flickr: Travel 67's Photostream for the flickr page of an english speaker living, working in okinawa who has posted photos taken with the 645d. as i said elsewhere, i know nothing about ff and even less about mf, but i gather image quality is gonna rock the house. looks good even on my cheapest laptop.
06-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #133
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
see Flickr: Travel 67's Photostream for the flickr page of an english speaker living, working in okinawa who has posted photos taken with the 645d. as i said elsewhere, i know nothing about ff and even less about mf, but i gather image quality is gonna rock the house. looks good even on my cheapest laptop.

patk

Again, thank you for that.

My goodness. Did you look at those at original sizes (7264 x 5440)???

I have a pretty good monitor (NEC multisync p221w with x-rite calibration). Again, I am floored by it. Soooo much depth, and look at the gradations of the ocean??? Look at the picture of the chocolate lab. I bet you that is close to fairly wide open, but the sharpness of it all. Oh man . . . . . See, this thing catches all the subtleties that I see with my own eyes. I bet you, to people with the real eyes for photography, this is probably even more spectacular than how I feel. I also got the same sensation when I first saw pics by Leica S2. Holy crap.

I like to print my lame pictures large. I have an Epson 3800. So at least I don't have to buy a new printer . . . . .

Boy, you got me going again. This really is insane.
06-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #134
Veteran Member

9 pages and still no end to this discussion. question, are you going to buy the 645D or not?
06-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #135
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
9 pages and still no end to this discussion. question, are you going to buy the 645D or not?

Yes I am. For sure. You can count on it. I can repeat it again if you like.