Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Yes I am. For sure. You can count on it. I can repeat it again if you like.
I would prefer seeing you selling all your APS-C and FF equipment up for grabs in the marketplace. that would really show that you are really serious.

06-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #137
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

That only works on OBD1 systems. They changed it in OBDII.
No they didn't. What happens or is supposed to happen is a trip service code is set when the car/processor is first powered up (removing and reinstalling the battery cable or resetting the processor). In order to pass an inspection in states that do them that code (P1000) has to be cleared. To clear that code one must complete 7 or 8 tests (depending on the type and model year of the car beginning in 1996 for all vehicles). Tests that determine the working condition of all of the electrical components as well as tests that determine the condition and efficiency of the catalytic converter. A Check Engine light turning on indicates a failure, Multiple times, of a component that will drive vehicle emissions above a set standard (that standard is different in some states, and is different in other countries, and is different for different sorts of vehicles, car vs truck, gas vs diesel, etc). There are, or Were 2 different sets of standards in the United States. One is set by CARB (California Air Resource Board) and the other, sometimes somewhat looser, is set by the EPA.

A failure code turning the check engine light on requires 2 trips (a drive cycle that takes OBDII through a complete check of all of the monitors). An OBDII trip can be completed in a single drive cycle or it can be completed in multiple drive cycles (turning the car on and driving it somewhere). If a failure occurs on the first trip, a pre-code will be stored. If the failure occurs on the second trip, it turns the check engine light on. The light will stay on until one of 2 things happens. It is cleared by a diagnostic system (or removing the battery cable), or the problem cures itself (it happens). For the latter, 3 consecutive trips without a failure are required. In This case, the code will be stored in background memory for 40 trips.

The main exception to the multiple trip rule is (or was) an engine Misfire (usually caused by a bad spark circuit) that the software deems dangerous to the converter. A cylinder misfiring will dump raw fuel or very fuel rich gas down the exhaust pipe causing the converter to abnormally heat up. It will heat to a point where the catalytic converter brick (ceramic with a precious metal coating) will disintegrate. To protect the converter in this situation, the processor will turn off the fuel and spark to the offending cylinder. The indication will be a Flashing Check engine light while it is happening, followed by the light just staying on indicating that a problem has occurred. A misfire code can also be set by a malfunctioning injector. There are two types of codes for this monitor, one is considered catastrophic to the converter, the other is not. The former will flash the check engine light.

Codes from regular engine electrical components (Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) and Air Charge Temp sensors for example) will set and the software will estimate what Should be for the failed part. In other words, if the engine coolant temperature fails, it will use the reading from the air charge temp sensor to best guess what the ECT should read. If on a V type engine, the Oxygen sensor should fail on one side, the software will use the readings from the other side to help control fuel/air mixture (one of the purposes of the oxygen sensors) on the failed side to remain in closed loop fuel control.

I was an OBDII Calibration engineer for over 10 years.

06-24-2010, 02:59 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Apparently, after careful consideration, being a good medical student that theperception2008 is, he has decided to become Nubi's personal slave at the hospital I work at for the month of August.

It turns out that he is originally from the area that I live. A small world.

You will be working hard, dude. Do not plan on sleeping.

In return, he will get to play with my lenses.
Nubi,

I definitely agree to this. That's the entire point of interning/rotating and in return I get to learn to my heart's content and as a bonus get to play with your lenses! Sleepless nights are something I'm getting used to.

I look forward to hard work, that's something I'm not scared of. Not having a future career is something I'm scared of!

Theperception2008
06-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
someone at luminous landscape just posted a page from photorumors claiming the 645d is coming to the us july 2010 and will be shown at willoughby's. the "story" is that pentax is planning to ship 200 units to the u.s. if true, your fate looks sealed.
In fact, there's a post in the News and Rumor's section where the 645D was previewed out in Warsaw this week. I think the 645D is possibly coming to Europe soon too. No way would Pentax hold on to a bombshell of a product like this and NOT unleash it to the rest of the world... :-)

Just my humble .02

06-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #140
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I would prefer seeing you selling all your APS-C and FF equipment up for grabs in the marketplace. that would really show that you are really serious.
HAHA!

Oh, no. I am not going to do that. I cannot even come to part with my K10D. :ugh:

But, I am quite serious about this. No bluffing here. It is just that I need to do this sensibly. This is a brand new product. I am waiting to see if there are kinks that need to be ironed out. I also want to see how the price will move based on market demands. It may be that the price will not come down a whole lot more. Then so be it. I will have to pull the trigger then.

Yes it will happen. Yes it will.
06-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #141
Inactive Account

Maybe the price will even go up. In that case you ought to buy one now
06-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #142
emr

Nubi, I'm afraid you have figured out this LBA issue all wrong! Since you seem to be serious about the future 645D purchase, you should ramp up your LBA big time. Like right about NOW! That's because if the 645D will be as big a hit as it seems at the moment, the second hand price of all Pentax 645 glass will skyrocket. Buy every available 645 lens and buy them today! In some months they just might cost 50-100% more than today.

Oops. Don't tell your wife I recommended this.

06-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Nubi, I'm afraid you have figured out this LBA issue all wrong! Since you seem to be serious about the future 645D purchase, you should ramp up your LBA big time. Like right about NOW! That's because if the 645D will be as big a hit as it seems at the moment, the second hand price of all Pentax 645 glass will skyrocket. Buy every available 645 lens and buy them today! In some months they just might cost 50-100% more than today.

Oops. Don't tell your wife I recommended this.
I'm gonna have to agree with emr on this one Nubi :-D. Look, there's Canon shooters wherever a 645D shows up! Just look at the Polish preview event, photo #3. The Canon guys are already drooling, a new 40MP camera and the lenses for it are already available, for cheap! They have already figured it out, they can sell their 5DMkII and all their lenses and buy a 645D plus used FA 645 glass and actually make money :-D

As for me, I'm only getting FF compatible glass at the moment except for the DA 16-45, which I just received, and the DA 55-300 since it's such a good zoom, great for traveling :-)
06-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #144
Ira
Inactive Account

Well, my LBA is suspended.

Got laid off today, along with 5 other people.
06-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Ira, I'm sorry to hear about that. :-( What work do you do if you don't mind me asking.
06-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #146
Ira
Inactive Account

I apologize to those who PM'd me, but I've been on my iTouch and this site's mobile app for the iPhone doesn't support PMs.

I'm at my second bar now, and when I get home later...and after I break it to the wife...I'll post from the desktop.

Typing on this thing is a PITA.
06-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Sorry to hear.
06-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #148
Ira
Inactive Account

Been home about an hour now, and not good:

Why does my wife let her worries about bill problems override how I feel about losing my job?
06-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #149
Inactive Account

Can't help with your wife's worries. Can't help you with a job either. All I can do is wish you the best.

06-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #150
Nubi

I am so sorry

Ira, I am so sorry. I really don't know what to say. It really really pains me to see this happen to a good guy like you.

Hope things will turn around quickly. Very quickly.

Alright guys, what can we do to help Ira?? Remember, this can happen to any of us anytime.

Anybody have suggestions???