Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reverse lens macro

I know there are a lot of macro lens discussions out there but:

what is the main reason why people wouldn't buy a cheap 28mm prime on ebay (about $20-40, mount doesn't matter), as well as a reverse macro ring (about $5) for the kit lens or a f/fa 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 for cheap macro option?

This way you can control the automatic aperture, p-ttl flash, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with a reversed 28mm and the kit lens at 55m we can get 2x magnification.

06-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote

what is the main reason why people wouldn't buy a cheap 28mm prime on ebay (about $20-40, mount doesn't matter), as well as a reverse macro ring (about $5) for the kit lens or a f/fa 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 for cheap macro option?

Correct me if I'm wrong but with a reversed 28mm and the kit lens at 55m we can get 2x magnification.
You are correct, but on a 55mm lens, 2x is essentially all you get; you can't move back to get less magnification.

If you reverse the 28mm on the 18-55mm kit lens, the magnification can be changed by zooming the kit lens. The center image quality of such a setup can be good.

Dave in Iowa

PS or you can just reverse the kit lens itself:
06-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dumb question:

What if you reversed the DA 12-24mm f4 lens? Would that be usable? Or should I use a 19mm prime lens instead?
06-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The idea is that with the kit lens and another reversed lens, one can use the whole potential of the p-ttl flash, i.e. slave off-camera flash.

QuoteQuote:
You are correct, but on a 55mm lens, 2x is essentially all you get; you can't move back to get less magnification.
Well, on the kit lens you can get from ~ 0.64x to -2x magnification.

06-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The idea is that with the kit lens and another reversed lens, one can use the whole potential of the p-ttl flash, i.e. slave off-camera flash.

---my lame post not noticing OP specified kit lens goes here----------

Well, on the kit lens you can get from ~ 0.64x to -2x magnification.
You are correct & with the kit lens the reversed 24-28mm is a good strategy (except for the short working distance).
06-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes but who is going to let me borrow their 52mm to 52mm reversal ring so I can see how I like the distance to subject?
06-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Yes but who is going to let me borrow their 52mm to 52mm reversal ring so I can see how I like the distance to subject?
Considering how much this hobby costs, provided it is a hobby, $4 for a 52mm ring is nothing.

I've been playing with a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 being held in front of the fa 50mm f/1.4 and I'm very happy with the results.

Already ordered a 49mm to 49mm reverse ring. Gonna test how that works, before shelling out for a wider prime and another reverse ring, maybe couple it to my 200mm tamron
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I want to test this, but I cant find those rings anywhere. Could someone point me in the direction of said $5 goodie? And is there a different ring for mounting a lens reverse directly on the camera, and one for mounting lens on lens?

06-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
I want to test this, but I cant find those rings anywhere. Could someone point me in the direction of said $5 goodie? And is there a different ring for mounting a lens reverse directly on the camera, and one for mounting lens on lens?
Search in ebay for "reverse macro ring".

Then you have to choose the size you need.
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
The focal length of a stacked 28mm lens & 50mm lens will be close to 50*28/(50+28)=18mm. The "rear" of this new lens will be 50mm from the sensor so the magnification will be 50/18 - 1 ~ 1.8x. The working distance will be about 67mm.

Just hold one lens in front of the other to see if you can live with the working distance.

Dave
06-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just kidding. I have a reversal ring (for lens face to lens face) and two reverse mount adaptors (for reverse mounting lens to body).
06-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You may find that you can't use the auto aperture features of the primary lens; closing that aperture will likely just give you an image circle. Stacking a reversed secondary onto a primary, you adjust focus on the primary (or by moving the whole setup), and adjust aperture on the secondary.

You can get away with using the kit lens as the (slow) primary, but some other zooms provoke heavy vignetting, an image circle. I prefer using faster longer manual primes (100 or 135/2.8) as primaries, and good shorter manual primes (28, 35, 50-55-58) as secondaries, all cheap. Your mileage may vary.

QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
And is there a different ring for mounting a lens reverse directly on the camera, and one for mounting lens on lens?
Yes. Mount-reversal rings (adapters) will have a PK base on one side, and male threads on the other. Mount-reversal rings often are used with tubes or bellows for extension, since many lenses have better IQ when reversed for macros.

A thread-reversal ring has male threads on both sides. I find it best to use lenses without deep front insets, so the objectives (front glass) are as close as possible, to prevent vignetting. The primary can also be extended on tubes.

Either reversal adapter frees you to exploit lenses from any maker, not just the Pentax-compatible goodies. So if you find yourself with nice cheap Petri or Canikony or Leitzeiss or Minolta glass, don't despair. Just flip them and shoot.
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I still experiment with a good and satisfying two lens combination every once in a while but I do agree that the DA 18-55 should probably not be in the equation because of some vignetting.
Of course using an AF or at least an A series lens makes metering and lighting a bit easier. But working distances with the limited selection of combinations I have tried still lead me back to using a 28-90 in reverse mount or a 50 on an extension tube. Not quiet the magnification of a 50 kissing a 70-210, but...

And so I continue to explore.