Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The proper tool for removing retaining ring is a piece of thick rubber like these. There are different colours and shapes. Sometimes you have to cut them into the sizes you needed. You can also use rubber gloves or sheets, but be careful of scuffing the matt black paint on the retaining ring.

There are many wrench designs but you only need the flat blades type. You can find them on eBay, or you can cut one from a piece of solid metal. One nice trick is to put a piece of dental rubber between the lens and the wrench to avoid any tool mark.

06-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #62
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The lens tool is called a Spanner, you can probably find them at a local camera store...or they're on Amazon for $15.
To remove the retaining ring, I've used the rubber top of a cane. The pharmacy has different sizes...I picked the largest one and it fits 49mm perfectly. It's all about friction.
The process described sounds pretty similar to what I've done before, which is described HERE. More power to you if you've got the mental fortitude required to rip apart Limited lenses.
06-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
Ah... I think I can live with the slight imperfection at f2.8 - I can't live damaging the lens. Ha.
06-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Original Poster
LOL agreed. It's fun to play with Tak's you get on the super cheap though.

06-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #65
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My experience with both B&H (and Adorama for that matter) is that they will replace a defective product and pay the shipping both ways.
Within the first 14 days, certainly we do.

We'll issue a pre-paid label if within the US, and refund shipping costs from overseas upon production of the receipt.
06-23-2010, 01:30 AM   #66
Veteran Member

I received my replacement DA70 Limited from Amazon today. Not only is the lens dust free, the aperture blades are better aligned, and this copy is sharper and has a noticeable improvement to contrast. The downside however, is that it has marginally more purple fringing on extreme contrast areas, its not that bad really.

Going to keep this copy.
06-23-2010, 01:32 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Well, the thing is that lenses aren't sealed, with the exception of weather sealed lenses. Dust is going to get sucked in and pushed out with the action of zooming or focusing.
I *think* they meant a manufacturer's seal on the outside of the box to indicate if its been opened before you.
06-23-2010, 03:58 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Within the first 14 days, certainly we do.

We'll issue a pre-paid label if within the US, and refund shipping costs from overseas upon production of the receipt.

I'd be curious - altho I suspect Adorama and B&H would play this close to the vest and won't spill the beans - as to the frustration level the superstores have had w/ this recurring issue and Pentax' obtuse obnoxious obstructionism... no fun for these retailers to be caught in the middle, I'm sure.
I REALLY wanted to buy the DA*16-50 lens and I had intended to until my horror mounted as I read folks' experience with that lens here; Pentax lost a sale on this one - i'm going Sigma for this part of the focal lens when I order my Kx and lenses later this week. (And - to think that this is a lens that lists at double the cost of the camera !)

06-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #69
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by habsfanusa Quote
I'd be curious - altho I suspect Adorama and B&H would play this close to the vest and won't spill the beans - as to the frustration level the superstores have had w/ this recurring issue
It's always frustrating when we can't serve our customers well first time, every time. Whatever the reason!