Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You are not alone. I have had my share of disappointments the last decade. Of the few Canon EF lenses purchased new, they were all in tip top brand new condition inside out. Pentax brand new lenses are just, not quite brand new, but I got used to it eventually. I had to rearrange the aperture blades of my FA43 & FA77, and the aperture arm of the FA100/2.8 macro, and many more little adjustments I would like to list them here. I guess it's just how much money Pentax have been spending on QC, and it shows, even though many issues might not be a practical concern. As I have said, Pentax Limited lenses have not received better QC, just in metal bodies for higher price tags.
If I follow you here, the lenses are either new or they are not. If they are new and have problems, that should be a warranty issue. I have gotten into the habit of putting a lens through its paces immediately regardless of the maker. I'm doing that this week on a DA 17-70mm!

06-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
LOL Ira cracks me up.

Yes, these are new lenses. Are you suggesting that as a standard practice, we should all be OK with paying significant amounts of cash for "top of the line" lenses, only to pay more cash in shipping, just to get fixed what should have been constructed properly in the first place? That sounds like a wonderful plan!

I vote that I return the lenses, get quality ones in exchange, and that B&H sends me a defect free 43 limited for my troubles.
06-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh yeah, @ rkt:

When I get a new lens, I hold it against a well lit white background and look for junk inside. If it passes this initial round, I mount it on my camera and tripod, set to near focus, and take a snapshot of the streetlamps across the street at night at each aperture setting. If it passes that test, I set my tripod up at
specific distances from an object, focus it up, and take another few shots. Takes about 30 minutes, and is well worth the time.
06-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Does anyone know where the specs for the 77 LTD can be found? I see nothing on Pentax's site stating the materials used for the lens groups.

What I see in the second pair of photos is not dust on the lens elements but bubbles in the polymer bonding agents used in hybrid polymer/glass lens element and group manufacture. My modern Nikkors also have these bubbles. I've never thought twice about them while shooting with my Nikon gear and I would challenge someone to find resulting defects in images shot with these lenses.

My decades old Pentax lenses are crystal clear, have glass elements, and would cost Leica money if purchased new today. The 77 LTD, from what I read, is not only a fantastic lens but a massive bargain.

I did find on the Pentax site that the 77 LTD has seven elements in six groups. I didn't find a group diagram so I'm not sure of the extent of the glue/plastic in that one combined group.

06-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
Does anyone know where the specs for the 77 LTD can be found? I see nothing on Pentax's site stating the materials used for the lens groups.
I did find on the Pentax site that the 77 LTD has seven elements in six groups. I didn't find a group diagram so I'm not sure of the extent of the glue/plastic in that one combined group.
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/primes/_optics/77f1.8.jpg

Looks like only the fourth group is glued.

Ben
06-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That's the group right after the aperture blades.
06-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by porterHause Quote
So I switched from Canon ver to Pentax in December 2009...bought my K7/18-55 WR combo and 50-200 WR from B&H. They all came in perfect condition. Now, for the last 4 months I have been trying to build up the lens collection...but after countless purchases from B&H and Adorama, the only additional lens I have in my bag is a Super-Tak 50/1.4 that I picked up for $40 off of Craigslist.

I have now gone through:
Purchased from Adorama...
3 copies - Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 - A link to my voigtlander woes

Purchased from B&H...
2 copies - DA 35 Limited. One severely front focusing, one with interior elements coated with dust.

B&H says, perhaps you should try a different lens...so I went with

3 copies - FA 43 Limited - All with horribly misaligned blades...like THIS baby at f/2.8:

B&H says, perhaps you should try a different lens...so I went with

D FA 100 Macro WR - This one JUST came in the mail today...and wow!!!

Retarded diaphragm blades...

AND all sorts of junk on internal elements...

I also concurrently purchased from B&H:
4 copies - FA 77 Limited - Each complete with big black chunks of dust on interior elements.

Needless to say, this latest shipment (FA 77 and D FA 100 Macro) is going back tomorrow. Am I the only one experiencing these issues? I can't understand how these things get past QC. The 50 year old lens I purchased off of Craigslist is in better condition than ANY of the new lenses I have recently purchased.

B&H has been patient and helpful in processing my returns, but...are you KIDDING me?!?!? As a Pentax shooter is this something you just have to get used to, since nobody sells lenses locally? I'm so effing frustrated that I'm tempted to dump all of my Pentax gear.

Somebody comfort me PLEASE!!
WOWWWWWW , you have to much bad luke.

I buy Pentax lens new and used(in 35mm/6x45/6x7 systems) for many years without any problem.

Try again one last time and i think that will change.

Regards,

06-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL Ira cracks me up.

Yes, these are new lenses. Are you suggesting that as a standard practice, we should all be OK with paying significant amounts of cash for "top of the line" lenses, only to pay more cash in shipping, just to get fixed what should have been constructed properly in the first place? That sounds like a wonderful plan!

I vote that I return the lenses, get quality ones in exchange, and that B&H sends me a defect free 43 limited for my troubles.
My experience with both B&H (and Adorama for that matter) is that they will replace a defective product and pay the shipping both ways.

In any case, you have had incredibly bad luck. I have purchased multitudes of used lenses and 6 new (3 Pentax) over the last 3 years and have only had a handful of problems. Those included two used lenses with fungus, one used lens with inoperable focus, and one new Zenitar 16/2.8 where nothing worked.

Steve
06-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
New update...just opened the box:

Copy #2 of the 100 Macro came in....CLEAN!

4 returns of the 77...and magically the FA31 reappeared in stock. So I exchanged 77 for the 31.

Glass is clean, however, ONE blade is out of alignment...noticeable at 5.6 and beyond.

I plan to use the 31 for nighttime cityscapes, star trails, etc. Basically, everything. f11-f16 are very likely to get a bit of use...and it's very noticeable at these apertures. Not like the FA43 images...rather, the reverse. from f5.6 - f22 the aperture gets more and more squared off. Is the one misaligned blade a returnable offense? Return and run the risk of dirty copies with the same blade issues...or, have B&H send it back to Pentax?

I'm very frustrated with these issues...but I'm determined to get solid copies for my hard earned money. What do you guys think?
06-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #25

You can test your new 100 macro and show us that out of alignment of the 31 ltd
06-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hah! On my way home from work now
06-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Glass is clean, however, ONE blade is out of alignment...noticeable at 5.6 and beyond.
Just show us how the actual stop down looks. I have found all my Pentax lenses have irregular stop down toward f22 but it does not bother me. I am more concern about the 1st 2-3 stops instead because that's where the aperture shape is more obvious on the shots. If you demand perfect stop down, there is a good chance you won't find one from Pentax (I don't at least). My 3 Canon EF lenses do however.
06-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The blade in question is bottom center...misalignment appearing on the LHS.

@ 5.6

@8

@11

@16

@22

I have a feeling that at f/2 I'm going to see some funky halos, but the nighttime has not yet arrived, so I must wait.

I'm thinking, return to B&H to have them send to Pentax for fixing. It starts to look nasty to me at around f/11.

Last edited by porterHause; 06-18-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: more info added.
06-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I think it is not serious by modern Pentax standard as I have seen far worse. My FA77 was worse and I was able to rearrange them for almost perfect stop down, but it was very time consuming. I wonder if any Pentax service centres were willing to spend that time. Trouble is returning it for another lens won't guarantee a perfect sample. I feel your frustration.
06-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #30

Photos: Gallery
Did you have to open up the lens to rearrange the blades? (I am supposing a definitely yes.) Also, will there be chances of lens misalignment issues when you close it back? Thanks.