Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
Did you have to open up the lens to rearrange the blades? (I am supposing a definitely yes.) Also, will there be chances of lens misalignment issues when you close it back? Thanks.
To rearrange the blades, it must be accessed from the front. That means the filter rim and the front lens group must come off. Depends on the lens design, most Pentax prime lenses are rather simple for this to be done. Since the lens group can be unscrewed easily, you cannot mess the optical alignment (unless you drop it). The hard part comes when you tried to rearrange the blades w/o making the glass surface dirty. You will need a curved tip tweezers for the best possible grip, and a bit of luck and patience. It might take many attempts before you are completely happy with the results. I supposed trained technicians should be more proficient though.

06-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't suppose you have a detailed document with images and step by step instructions detailing the process of realigning the blades?

I think I'd be way too nervous about operating on the diaphragm myself, so I guess we'll see how much the technician cares about getting it right. I may be hitting you up in a few weeks when I get it back though :P
06-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
I see. Thanks!! Sounds challenging enough for me. Ha.
06-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I have never documented my repairs which often kept me busy enough. To be honest though, I don't recommend DIY if it's under warranty especially you have never done any repair b4.

06-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I was kidding. Sounds like a nasty job.

At least there was progress today! 100 Macro is perfect!
06-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by porterHause Quote
At least there was progress today! 100 Macro is perfect!
Keep your hopes up. I am sure once the dust is settled, you will find Pentax primes a joy to use.
06-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Well I just looked my lenses and none of them are perfect fully stopped down except for the samsung 50-200 that I got for new for $200AUS. None of them are as bad as your example but i've never noticed any problem when it comes to taking photos.

06-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Well I just looked my lenses and none of them are perfect fully stopped down except for the samsung 50-200 that I got for new for $200AUS. None of them are as bad as your example but i've never noticed any problem when it comes to taking photos.
With my problems I'm getting stuff like this in my photos:
06-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery
Shoot them wide-open and you'll get perfectly round shapes.
06-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
Shoot them wide-open and you'll get perfectly round shapes.
It would be rather unfortunate to own a $1000 lens only to be able to shoot wide open.

Good luck to op on getting a good copy!
06-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #41

Sell it and say its "One of a Kind".... literally
06-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #42

That's out of alignment. Send that $1000 lens back. The QC guy must have fall asleep.
06-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #43

i would also understand if it were an old lens, or some mass produced kit lens. But with a "limited" lens, forget it
06-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Actually old Pentax like pre-A series were pretty good, then they got slightly worse during the A & F series, and QC started to slip hard since the FA series.
06-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #45
Forum Member

lens buying horror redux

I've been following this thread with great interest (and increasing disgust at Pentax). Sorry for the melodrama but here's my quick story:
I gave my Canon dSLR camera and lenses to my daughter in Israel several months ago with the intention of just replacing the system for myself. Then i decided to just check what else is out there; i hadn't touched a Pentax (except for an Optio p&s) since pre-digital days and was pleasantly surprised. I like the size and weight and ergonomics - and the Kx seems so cool. In-camera HDR was the final factor - i decided this camera is what i will buy, with a budget of up to c.$1750 for camera and two zoom lenses (one of which would be the DA 55-300, the other the DA* 16-50).
So then I started my lens research, from the ground up - and when i started checking on others' experience with my must-have walkabout, the DA* 16-50 (an utter ABSENCE of QC at Pentax in a lens that lists at ≈$1,200), i was frankly shocked.
My astonishment only grew as I've followed these threads here - the comment earlier in this thread about an (apparently scratched) element (in a lens bought new !) resembling an astrology map in particular comes to mind.
[I even emailed Pentax a week ago asking for reassurance regarding the DA*16-50 QC question, and got a lame response to the effect that SDM motors from their subcontractor two years were a problem that was then solved. I replied with a literally "are you kidding me - do you guys read these forums, you must be aware that the problem is far more encompassing than that" - type communication, sent twice - but no reply. Interesting !]
So my new-found friends, PLEASE jump in with some guidance.
For instance, am i misguided regarding the in-camera HDR ? I prefer to do the bracketing in the shot, not post-processing. I do a lot of landscapes, i understand the need for a tripod. And any/every comment regarding lens options would be welcome. I am partial to "OEM" lenses over Tamron, Sigma et al - bit not absolutely opposed.
Thank you !