Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by potatolicious Quote
lawjbm: I feel you, just had my DA* 50-135 SDM fail today outright. It's been making slight, disturbing squeaking sounds while focusing for the last little while, but now it's plain kaput.

Very frustrating that Pentax denies the problem even exists, much less address it.
Had my 16-50 in twice to Pentax in last 6 months (first motor, then "adjusted focus mechanism" when it wouldn't focus at all) Now my 50-135 is squeaking. Just sent it in, but it is 6 months out of warranty. Here's hoping Pentax Canada is kind.
I feel your pain....

06-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #17

Given the terrible track record of the two lenses in question - and specifically regarding the SDM motor which clearly is an issue despite Pentax' protestation to the contrary - I would hope that a basic corollary of consumer law in this situation would be a reasonable good faith assumption - ie continued warranty coverage for at least this additional period of time.
I'm a physician, not an attorney, so this is not legal advice. However as a Canadian I still harbo(u)r the fantasy that they'll do the right thing for you (I'm a dual citizen - so I'd invoke the same 'logic' if you lived south of the border !)
My quick post yesterday at 5 AM was perhaps not sufficiently blatant in its sarcasm - I will try to find a moment to post my full correspondence w/ Pentax USA - but their official position on this issue is mind-blowing and insulting.
Good luck !
Habsfanusa
06-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by habsfanusa Quote
Given the terrible track record of the two lenses in question - and specifically regarding the SDM motor which clearly is an issue despite Pentax' protestation to the contrary - I would hope that a basic corollary of consumer law in this situation would be a reasonable good faith assumption - ie continued warranty coverage for at least this additional period of time.
I'm a physician, not an attorney, so this is not legal advice. However as a Canadian I still harbo(u)r the fantasy that they'll do the right thing for you (I'm a dual citizen - so I'd invoke the same 'logic' if you lived south of the border !)
My quick post yesterday at 5 AM was perhaps not sufficiently blatant in its sarcasm - I will try to find a moment to post my full correspondence w/ Pentax USA - but their official position on this issue is mind-blowing and insulting.
Good luck !
Habsfanusa
FWIW, I bought mine around this time last year and have taken over 6,000 photos with it. Knock wood, no problems. Some things to consider:

- When Pentax says "...no problems at this time" I'd place the emphasis on "this time", meaning that the issue that plagued earlier models has been resolved and the new lenses don't suffer from it.

- That said, even if the original problem was solved, not all the lenses leaving the factory will be perfect. There will be some dogs.

- It's interesting that they had issues early on. But I haven't seen anyone quantify the scope of the problem. It certainly can't be judged by the vehemence of some people here that have had issues. That's qualitative data, and while it's important. I'm more interested in quantitative data on the issue. There's a thread here where people post their serial numbers and whether or not they got a good copy. That's the closest thing we have to quantitative data, but it hasn't been tabulated in any fashion that can yield any real insight.

- In any case, the discussions on this forum are causing people to think twice before making their purchase. It's not a Camry-sized debacle, so I can understand Pentax's conservative response. Still, in this day an age, taking a little effort to allay the fears of this forum, arguably the most informed Pentax owners on the planet, could go a long way. Pentax, for example, could quantify the scope of the original issue for us, to set the record straighter, extend the warranty period for current owners beyond the standard year, and perhaps offer discounts to those that have faced problems. This all costs money though, and Pentax needs to balance the cost of such a program versus the potential loss of sales due to the blowback of this issue.

My $.02, non-refundable.
06-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
- In any case, the discussions on this forum are causing people to think twice before making their purchase. It's not a Camry-sized debacle, so I can understand Pentax's conservative response. Still, in this day an age, taking a little effort to allay the fears of this forum, arguably the most informed Pentax owners on the planet, could go a long way. Pentax, for example, could quantify the scope of the original issue for us, to set the record straighter, extend the warranty period for current owners beyond the standard year, and perhaps offer discounts to those that have faced problems. This all costs money though, and Pentax needs to balance the cost of such a program versus the potential loss of sales due to the blowback of this issue.
110% agree. PR in Pentax sucks badly!

07-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all:

Just wanted to update that I received back my 16-50 DA* yesterday. The SDM motor was replaced. I have not had a chance to use the lens, but have shoot this weekend, so I will try it (I ended up buying the Sigma 30 1.4 as a back up--I really like the Sigma lens).

The repair took approx. 2 weeks so I am very pleased. I still remain frustrated as this is the second fix to this lns, plus my first 16-50 would not focus well (it went back and was exchnaged for the present one), and my first K7 would not focus with any of my lenses (no matter any micro-adjustment).

Amazon, though, where I get most of my camera stuff (though, I do buy from Adorama and B&H--both are great) was excellent with the returns.

Right now I also am using the 60-250 DA*. It focuses very slowly, but probably not anymore slowly than the other DA* lenses I have. I use it mainly for my children's sporting events--the heavy weight of the lens, plus the slow focus make sharp pictures a challenge. I just bought a Manfrotto monopod, though, which I think really is a must for the lens. Hey, I am learning.

Anyway, just wanted to update you on my receipt of the 16-50 DA*.

Gregg