Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-09-2007, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adapter to fit canon lens on pentax?

Its all kinda bleak for me but i think i remember seeing an adapter that will allow a canon or nikon lens to fit on a pentax. Is there such a thing? Is it any good?

08-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can only find adapters to fit K mount lenses to Canon EOS
08-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ronald_durst Quote
Its all kinda bleak for me but i think i remember seeing an adapter that will allow a canon or nikon lens to fit on a pentax. Is there such a thing? Is it any good?
I've only ever seen a Nikon F to Pentax K. but then it got stolen when I was testing it out at a camera shop. (and yes I found out I indeed lost infinity focus which is to be explained.)

Unfortunately, both mounts F and FD (EOS is pointless because you NEED EF mount to control EOS lens.) aren't compatible.

#1 Canon FD - Flange distance (lens to film distance) is shorter than that of pentax K so when if you do fudge up an adapter ring some how, you will lose infinity + your longer focus ranges + more of your mid focus ability due to thinkness in adatper. the only way is to have an adapter that utilizes a optical correction element...which spoils your lens IQ...and frankly Canon FD ain't popular enough for people to make them.

#2 Nikon F - The nikon f flange is actually longer than Pentax K by like 1mm or something. so if you stick a nikon lens directly onto your K Mount and hold it there with your hand, you still retain all focus ability. However, by adding an adapter that connects bayonet..to bayonet.. you've just spoiled the flange difference by literally 'extending' the Pentax Mount by a few mm because you are setting the Nikon lens farther away. When you exceed 1mm or whatever the difference in the native mounts are, you lose infinity focus.

Side note - I've begun to see Minolta film to Minolta AF (Maxxum5d/7d,Sony a100) converters on ebay. these come with a built in correction element. So whether those will have a profound effect on IQ remains to be seen.

For the time being, just enjoy that Pentax K is still the only mount as of yet that retains backwards compabitility with all its lenses.

Nikon's current F mount status is considered puesdo-backwards compatibility because they nerfed all metering capability with older f mount lenes in the all their dSLRs save their pro line up. (D1, D200 and D2)

Last edited by FotoPete; 08-11-2007 at 10:45 AM.
08-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #4

I've got a few Canon lenses and I wish somebody besides Canon would make an adapter that would work just to stick it to them. I'm only a bit peeved that Canon basically flipped the bird to all FD users with the EOS line.

08-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
I've got a few Canon lenses and I wish somebody besides Canon would make an adapter that would work just to stick it to them. I'm only a bit peeved that Canon basically flipped the bird to all FD users with the EOS line.
Well thats Canon haha. Note even some old EOS lenses don't work on the canon dslrs cuz their chips are too old and they don't know how to 'talk' with the new cameras.

Technically even nikon did it to save cost. Basically none of the beginners/enthusiats/hobbyists can use old nikon stuff unless they forked over the big bucks for pro dslrs. Minolta dropped the ball too when they advanced to AF. none of the previous manaul film lenses are any good. There's just buckets full of old Canon FD, Nikon, Olympus, Minolta and Konica lenses lying around at the camera store.

Just to bring it back home, pentax crippled their mount a little over a decade ago by removing the stop down coupler. (the tab that inserts into the back of the lens to mechanically tell the camera set aperture) Its all communicated electronically now. You can still use old K Mount types but you have to shoot with stop down metering.

Its really too bad that all this is happening but in today's world, money is everything.
08-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Still, Canon and Olympus can use a lot more lenses than Pentax can. Their decisions about designing new lens mounts first made many upset but now they clearly benefit from it.

There is, unfortunately, no way to mount Zuiko OM, Leica-R and Contax (for example) lenses to Pentax cameras.
08-11-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nikon Lenses on Pentax Bodies

It seems possible to mount certain Nikon lenses on Pentax cameras without an adapter.

See this threads:
Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Manual Focus Forum / Using Nikon F-mount lenses on Pentax K-mount bodies.

Cheers!

Abbazz

08-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Only some Non-AI lenses will work. The AI lenses have an raised lip around the base of the aperture ring and functions as a stopdown coupler with the camera. That usually prevents nikon AI lenses from sitting flush into the pentax K mount.

Ok actually I kinda lied. I just read the links, stuck a Nikon E 50mm f1.8 on my Samsung GX-1L and it does stay on. It twists on slightly and enough to not fall off when using the manual focus ring.

Please note : this is an experimental thing and going out and scooping up every old Nikkor lens out there is not recommended. Most AI lenses won't even stay on the K Bayonet. DX and G lenses so work cuz they don't have aperture rings. Save your $$. Btw SMC > Nikkor coatings. =P

Last edited by FotoPete; 08-11-2007 at 11:02 AM.