Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well...I purchase a Pentax F 50mm 1.7 in exellent condition. I'll be doing a bit of picture taking to get the feel of it..

thanks y'all!

06-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nobody likes the origonal 8 element Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 ?
06-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
remember the saying "it's better to be 3rd rather than 2nd"?
06-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Leica R 50mm Summicron (2nd version) converted to Pentax.

As with the 43mm Limited, the 50mm Summicron is sharper than any Pentax 50mm. Conversion will set you back $35 and 5 minutes of your time.
Hmm, you got me interested in this lens. Any website which has more detailed info about this lens? And where can I get the conversion kit for $35? Sorry I'm not a Leica fan, it's just I'm out of choices on Pentax lenses (yes, I've had most PK mount lenses shorter than 400mm). I googled the Summicron 50mm, there are too many versions of it, and most sites don't indicate which version they are talking about ..

06-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #50
Veteran Member

What version are you talkng about ?

Leica is another reading/reasearching task for a ... lifetime !

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Leica R 50mm Summicron (2nd version) converted to Pentax.

As with the 43mm Limited, the 50mm Summicron is sharper than any Pentax 50mm. Conversion will set you back $35 and 5 minutes of your time.
06-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #51
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by scorpioh Quote
Yes. A50f1.2 is the best!
+1

I love mine to bits.
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I don't think it's about sample variation. most, if not all people who had tried and owned both lenses could testify that the 1.7 is sharper than the 1.4. itis not even a 50/50 nor an 80/20 ratio, but more of a 98% to 2% ratio. also, I believe it has the resolution tests and mathematical statistics to support that. so the lens design have to do something with it.

as far as your copy is concerned. maybe you just got a dud or it has some issues that you are not aware of.
I just did an 'oblique newspaper' test with my M1.4 and M1.7 (which avoids focus issues) and came to the conclusion that the difference is much less than I had always assumed - in fact negligible in practice, and even that difference is counteracted by the application of a tiny amount of sharpening in PP. It's been said before, but I believe it's true, that much of the alleged unsharpness of the 1.4 wide open is a consequence of focusing inaccuracy.
My K1.2 got stolen - I would get another like a shot if I could find one at the price I paid last time.

Tim

06-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
I just did an 'oblique newspaper' test with my M1.4 and M1.7 (which avoids focus issues) and came to the conclusion that the difference is much less than I had always assumed - in fact negligible in practice, and even that difference is counteracted by the application of a tiny amount of sharpening in PP. It's been said before, but I believe it's true, that much of the alleged unsharpness of the 1.4 wide open is a consequence of focusing inaccuracy.
My K1.2 got stolen - I would get another like a shot if I could find one at the price I paid last time.

Tim
true enough that these can be negligible with the help of PP sharpening. not just these lenses but other lenses of different focal length as well. although the point here is the lens' potential itself and not about post-processing. it is highly possible that the unsharpness of the 1.4 is due to focusing error, among others like flares which affect IQ as well. I would say personally that it is slightly sharp but would tend to say quite soft for my taste, if you know what I mean.

I would prefer the 50/1.2 more at 1.4 rather than the 50/1.4. it's too bad you're copy got stolen. how did you lose it anyway? I do hope you can secure another copy for less.
06-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Actually, I do. I probably like it more than my S.T. 2nd Model or S-M-C model. However, the 55mm Zebra is my favorite Tak over all with the macro-Tak right behind it.
06-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I would prefer the 50/1.2 more at 1.4 rather than the 50/1.4. it's too bad you're copy got stolen. how did you lose it anyway? I do hope you can secure another copy for less.
Totally agree. The K1.2 was in my camera bag, together with the K-7, an M100 f2.8, and a Panny LX-3 - not to mention my PASSPORT. All that lot was removed without my noticing from the luggage shelf over my head on an inter-city train between Brussels and The Hague. A whole lot of riff-raff was bustling and jostling their way out of the train at Antwerp station. A lesson learned. Very expensively. I'd got complacent, too accustomed to Singaporean law and order!

Tim
06-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The limited A f1.2?

06-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #57
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
The limited A f1.2?
I wish I could get my hands on one of those... would look great with my silver ltds
06-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #58
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Totally agree. The K1.2 was in my camera bag, together with the K-7, an M100 f2.8, and a Panny LX-3 - not to mention my PASSPORT. All that lot was removed without my noticing from the luggage shelf over my head on an inter-city train between Brussels and The Hague. A whole lot of riff-raff was bustling and jostling their way out of the train at Antwerp station. A lesson learned. Very expensively. I'd got complacent, too accustomed to Singaporean law and order!

Tim
Sorry to hear that Tim. Hope you had it insured...
06-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Sorry to hear that Tim. Hope you had it insured...
Er ... no.
06-29-2010, 12:41 AM   #60
Voe
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, you got me interested in this lens. Any website which has more detailed info about this lens? And where can I get the conversion kit for $35? Sorry I'm not a Leica fan, it's just I'm out of choices on Pentax lenses (yes, I've had most PK mount lenses shorter than 400mm). I googled the Summicron 50mm, there are too many versions of it, and most sites don't indicate which version they are talking about ..
You can get these adapters from eBay:

Adapter Leica R lens To PENTAX K7 Km K20D K200D K100D - eBay, Lenses, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 17-Jul-10 00:53:31 AEST)

Adapter for Leica R lens To Pentax P/K PK camera - eBay, Accessory Kits, Camcorder Accessories, Photography. (end time 28-Jul-10 16:33:42 AEST)

Adapter for Leica R lens To Pentax DSLR K-7 K-X KM K20D - eBay, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo. (end time 23-Jul-10 13:30:49 AEST)

If you want to read more about Leica lenses I would suggest the "Leica Lens Compendum": http://www.imx.nl/photo/downloads/files/llcforweb.pdf

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
What version are you talkng about ?

Leica is another reading/reasearching task for a ... lifetime !
I had the second and latest version which includes a built in hood: http://en.leica-camera.com/assets/file/download.php?filename=file_1867.pdf