Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you aren't going to shoot Pentax glass, you've pretty much eliminated any reason to use their cameras.
I very much disagree. I think your choice of camera has a little more to it than just what lenses are available (as there are great lenses available for all camera brands). And third party lenses can supplement your lens selection. However, I will caution when buying cheap 3rd party lenses: they are cheap for a reason. You may save a few bucks if you go for a a Sigma EX lens (a line of lenses I actually like if you don't expect miracles), but if you buy a cheap lens from Tamron or Sigma you are going to get something that underperforms.

/I currently only own Pentax lenses, but I would not hesitate to buy a Sigma or Tamron when I have the money to do so.

06-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Each lens has its own individual look, Before purchasing a lens, go look at the photos it takes and see if you like the rendering.
My own opinion is that the pentax lenses I've used have better colour (including the kit) than my sigma 17-70(old version,) but I'd rather have the sigma than any pentax zoom due to its combination of price ,performance and versatility. If the DA17-70 was weather sealed I would be tempted to trade up. Nothing would tempt me to get rid of my sigma 70 macro though
As for the 2.8 zooms, I would love to have any of them as an indoor lens but choose primes instead.
The fact pentax gives you SR with fast primes and zooms is something that other brand users are jealous of.
06-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shang Quote
hi, guys,

i was considering to upgrade my 18-55 kit lens. after a month's comparison among candidate lenses, i found myself still not willing to see a third party lens in front of the body. So, 17--70 f/4 SDM seems to be the only good choice for me.

I know there are "better" lenses such as the tamron 17--50, sigma 17--50 and tamron 28--75 which are cheaper or the same price, but I just cannot persuade myself to buy them... Is there a good reason for me to do this? Will I really lose the Pentax Flavor Images with the third party lenses? Are there people who face the same problem as me?

Suggestions Appreciated, thanks!
I can certainly understand you wanting to stick with Pentax at the beginning of your journey here, but that's probably going to change for the lens after your next one.

Like, for an ultra wide angle, if you don't want the fisheye of Pentax's 10-17, you're gonna be looking at Sigma's 10-20.
06-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Humm.. What about SR, weather resistance, Pentax colours, great body designs, great viewfinders, for starters?

To answer the original question, I have one lens that's not a Pentax. It's the Sigma 17-70. And it's my most used lens. I confess I try to look at Pentax first when selecting a lens, because I know I won't be disappointed, but a good lens made by anyone is a good lens. And the Siggy is an amazing lens.
DITTO what bdery says. I bought the Pentax K200D because it is an excellent camera for far too many reasons to list here, not the least of which is its compatibility with both vintage Pentax lenses and third party lenses.

I have the same Sigma 17-70 lens bdery has. It produces excellent pictures; it is a great all-around lens and it is the lens that stays attached to my camera 90% of the time. In fact, it's always on there unless I'm shooting sports or low-light. And like the OP mentions, I bought this to replace the kit lens. What an excellent step-up in class. It ain't cheap (paid about $300) for my copy, but it is an excellent value, I think.

TP

06-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
If you aren't going to shoot Pentax glass, you've pretty much eliminated any reason to use their cameras.
May I suggest, with respect, that is total cobblers! One buys the camera for the camera. There are many reasons one chooses a Pentax camera body, not least of which is the fact that it has the shake reduction built in, unlike Canon and Nikon. There are a multitude of reasons to buy Pentax - or Canon - or Nikon - or Sony....

I bought Pentax for the weather sealing, the shake reduction, the sensitivity priority mode, and a host of other reasons. I like Pentax cameras.

But I have an eclectic collection of lenses, including Pentax Ltds, DA*, fisheye zoom, etc etc. But I also have several of the better Sigma lenses including the 50mm f/1.4, the 100-300, the 180 Macro, and the 50-500mm Bigma (try replicating those last two in Pentax brand...!)

I think by restricting oneself, or suggesting that others do likewise, to Pentax glass, you are immediately:

1. identifying yourself as a brand snob, and

2. limiting your choice of lenses for NO good reason.

It is "horses for courses" as they say. There is no way I'd swap my Ltd series lenses (15, 31, 35, and 77mm), but by the same token, there is no way I'd swap my Sigma 10-20 for landscape walkabouts, or my Tamron/Pentax 18-250 Superzoom for travelling, or my Tamron 90mm Macro, or my Sigma 180 Macro, or the Bigma.... I'm sure you get my drift.

It's all about choice. The choice is entirely yours. And enjoy the best that all the lens makers have to offer, including the better Sigmas, Tamrons, Voigtlanders, Zeiss, etc etc. Don't be a glass snob...

No offence...
06-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Couldn't disagree more with all these folks saying that Pentax lenses are the only reason to use Pentax cameras. You guys are selling yourselves, and more importantly, Pentax short. That was only a small part of the reason that I originally chose Pentax. I did originally try to stay with "family" glass and worked my way from the kit lenses through the step-ups and on to the premium stuff. I sold off the ones that just didn't do it for me. A year or so ago I started considering third party lenses and it opened up a whole new world for me. I now have 4 Sigmas (plus the 85 1.4 on pre-order) and I love them all just as much as my DA*'s. I am convinced that most of the anti-Sigma bias from some on this site comes from years past when maybe Sigma's quality wasn't what it is now. I kinda feel like we Pentax people shouldn't be knocking anybody for their quality control. It also probably helps that I have only ever bought EX Sigmas. None of my Sigmas have a yellow cast to them, another myth I often read. Maybe that was true at one time, but it's just not true anymore (again, at least not in the EX line).

Look, I'm not trying to convert anybody here. If Pentax glass is all that makes you happy, then more power to you. I just feel like you're doing a dis-service to people that are newer to the brand by telling them that its "Pentax and nobody else". Buying lenses is just like buying anything else. Determine your needs. Do your research. Read reviews. Look at sample photos. Eventually there will be one that emerges as a leader. If it happens to say Pentax on it, then great. If it doesn't, then that's fine, too.

Photography is a hobby for me, but one that I'm pretty serious about. Probably most people on this site fall into this same category. I can tell you that, without a doubt, my hobby became that much more satisfying when I opened myself up to ALL the lenses that are available to me.
This is the most sensible comment I've read in quite some time. 100% agreement here.

For the record, I own the Sigma 17-70 (not EX) and it does create a slightly different colour cast than Pentax lenses. Nothing major, not really visible except if you take the same picture with two different lenses, but it exists.
06-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #22

Original Poster
thank you guys for all the input! OK, now I very well believe that I want to open my mind to 3rd party lenses.

Another feeling is that there are very few pentaxians who really consider DA 17--70 SDM a good buy, am i right? thank you all!
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Couldn't disagree more with all these folks saying that Pentax lenses are the only reason to use Pentax cameras. You guys are selling yourselves, and more importantly, Pentax short. That was only a small part of the reason that I originally chose Pentax.
Same here. And in my case, my decision to go Pentax predated SR, which is now what I consider the single biggest reason to choose Pentax over C & N for the average person. In my case, it was simple ergonomics - I liked the way the *istDS body felt and responded better than the alternatives. I still tend to feel that way with other models, but I realize that's subjective. I also realize that while SR is a great thing - truly great - there could still be other reasons to choose C & N.

However, in another sense, I do "sort of" agree with the original assertion in one sense. Every once in a while I consider what I would do if I *had* to change systems (eg, Pentax went under, my camera died, and there was nothing acceptable to me available used). I could reluctantly give up SR. But there is quite simply no other system that would let me shoot the way I shoot now in terms of lenses. I've got 5 primes - 6 if I decide to take the 100 too, as I do for certain concerts - in the range from 15mm to 135mm that fit along with my camera in a bag that is the size of the lunch box I carried as a kid. None of them are any bigger than my fist, and the 4 of them between 15mm and 70mm are barely bigger than a plum. These are a joy to shoot with for me compared to the huge and heavy f/2.8 zooms I'd probably have to replace them with if I shot C & N. If it ever comes down to that, I'd hope the EVIL cameras will have matured by then to a point where I could be satisfied with one (I'd require an EVF that is as usable with moving subjects and in low light as my optical viewfinder).

So while I wouldn't say the Pentax lenses are the only reason to choose Pentax, I would say they would be the hardest thing for me to give up.

06-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I bought a Pentax K100D because they had the 10-17 fisheye that fit it. At the time it seemed that additional Pentax lenses were going to be less expensive than Canon or Nikon equivalents.

Silly to think only Pentax can make decent quality or even just useful lenses.

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-29-2010 at 08:15 AM.
06-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Voightlander and Zeiss are 3rd party as are converted Contax and Leica, some of those are even better than their Pentax equivalents . So yeah some 3rd party lenses make a good argument for themselves.
06-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
There is something quite special about the way that Pentax lenses render color and contrast that I don't see with other lenses. Sure, you can do anything you want in post processing, but I would rather not work to get that same effect.
Sorry, but as a Pentax user myself I don't buy into this. I hear this all the time from Leica users, look at samples people post, and frankly find that a lot of pics taken with Leica glass are worse (blurrier, lower contrast, unexceptional bokeh) than pics taken with other brands. I think there is a lot of good glass out there from all manufacterers, and how you use the glass is a lot more important than what brand you have.

People should buy the gear that does what they need/want it to do, and for the budget they have to spend. Pentax does this some of the time for me, but I own two other brands of lenses because they put out something that did what I needed at a price that I was willing to pay.
06-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I for one never really thought about it that way but you're right. In fact, if one were going ALL 3rd party, they would be better off for selection with one of the Other two brands.

QuoteOriginally posted by shang Quote
hi, guys,

i was considering to upgrade my 18-55 kit lens. after a month's comparison among candidate lenses, i found myself still not willing to see a third party lens in front of the body. So, 17--70 f/4 SDM seems to be the only good choice for me.

I know there are "better" lenses such as the tamron 17--50, sigma 17--50 and tamron 28--75 which are cheaper or the same price, but I just cannot persuade myself to buy them... Is there a good reason for me to do this? Will I really lose the Pentax Flavor Images with the third party lenses? Are there people who face the same problem as me?

Suggestions Appreciated, thanks!
I like to keep it in the family too. I find I'm quite satisfied with the Pentax selection don't really feel the need to stray from the house other than, perhaps, Cost of staying home.

06-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I for one never really thought about it that way but you're right. In fact, if one were going ALL 3rd party, they would be better off for selection with one of the Other two brands.
It is not about buying only 3rd party lenses. Do I own 3rd party lenses, yes. But of my 27 lenses more than half are pentax.

the 3rd party lenses I have are principally because pentax simply did not male the focal length range I wanted when I bought them, and in some cases, still don't.

the options are do without, or get 3rd party.

ALso, I have tried nikon cameras, the user interface stinks, same with canon. Pentax by far is one of the most comfortable cameras to use.

That being said, I went from KX (film version) Ricoh XR2s to PZ1 to (istD to K10D to K7D. once I went autofocus, I was quite accustomed to the pentax interface, all that was missing from my PZ-1 was the screen on back to show image confirmation, so aside from all the likes about pentax, pentax lenses, and the user interface, I am a long term pentax shooter
06-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

The OP was talking about buying his first additional, high-end, fully automatic lens--and it makes perfect sense for him to lean towards Pentax for this.

He'll eventually discover the wonders of other lenses--including the OLD stuff--but for now, I know where he's coming from.
06-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It is not about buying only 3rd party lenses. Do I own 3rd party lenses, yes. But of my 27 lenses more than half are pentax.

the 3rd party lenses I have are principally because pentax simply did not male the focal length range I wanted when I bought them, and in some cases, still don't.

the options are do without, or get 3rd party.

ALso, I have tried nikon cameras, the user interface stinks, same with canon. Pentax by far is one of the most comfortable cameras to use.

That being said, I went from KX (film version) Ricoh XR2s to PZ1 to (istD to K10D to K7D. once I went autofocus, I was quite accustomed to the pentax interface, all that was missing from my PZ-1 was the screen on back to show image confirmation, so aside from all the likes about pentax, pentax lenses, and the user interface, I am a long term pentax shooter
Before I bought my original K10d in 2006, I never owned or even held a Pentax camera. My entire 35mm experience at the time was my Olympus OM1n and OM4. On both cameras I was completely happy with the 50mm lenses (50mm f1.4 on the 1 and 55mm f1.2 on the 4). THE primary reason I chose Pentax above all others, was the K mount. It really was just that simple. The rest was just icing on top of the cake. It is a decision I've never regretted. I've considered going with a different brand from time to time but to get the glass I would want, would break me.