Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you aren't going to shoot Pentax glass, you've pretty much eliminated any reason to use their cameras.
a bit dramatic, don't ya think...Typical for wheatfield, troll and run...

Last edited by mtroute; 06-21-2010 at 10:08 PM.
06-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
a bit dramatic, don't ya think...Typical for wheatfield, troll and run...
But, taken the extreme, he is right. If all you buy are Tamron and Sigma lenses, why buy Pentax at all? Why not buy a Canon or Nikon and just get those same lenses for them -- it'll even give you a clearer upgrade path if you ever decide you "need" full frame.
06-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But, taken the extreme, he is right. If all you buy are Tamron and Sigma lenses, why buy Pentax at all? Why not buy a Canon or Nikon and just get those same lenses for them -- it'll even give you a clearer upgrade path if you ever decide you "need" full frame.
Well, FOR ME the Pentax bodies are by far the best (in APS-C anyway). So if I were to buy nothing but a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 it would still be for a Pentax body !

... having said that, the Limiteds are too amazing to let go
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #49
Pentaxian

But, taken the extreme, he is right. If all you buy are Tamron and Sigma lenses, why buy Pentax at all?
For all the reasons people have stated over and over already on this thread - SR, weather sealing, ergonomics, price/performance, etc.

06-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my Pentax for the body features and for the huge array of compatible glass. Best value, bang for the buck, too. I could have bought Canon and shot Pentax glass if it is that big a deal. 'Nuff said about that.

As for 3rd party glass...Pentax makes nice lenses. So do a number of other makers. All have their stinkers and a few have their stars. I have seven Pentax brand lenses and like each one. I also have a bunch of other stuff that I like too. Each lens in my bag has its own strengths and weaknesses. If you go to my PPG page, most of those in my gallery were taken with inexpensive fully manual Russian lenses. See if you can figure out which ones without peaking at the lens info.

Steve
06-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #51
Veteran Member

It's changing, but in many cases, the in-body SR of the Pentax is a great benefit that makes a given lens far better on Pentax than on Canon or Nikon.

Bigma prior to the BigMOS, for example...

The cheap Tamron 70-300 and Sigma 70-300 don't have OS, but they're stabilized on Pentax.
06-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree that in body SR is sweet, but Sony has that as well and supposedly their implementation is better than Pentax's (as is Olympus's). I am uncertain after earlier threads as to how much benefit you get with SR and a 300 mm lens.

Weather sealing is nice, but with non weather sealed lenses (as you would get with any third party lens), the benefit drops significantly. Smaller size of body is nice too, but if you are paring it with Ginormous zooms than that benefit sort of goes away too. I am just saying that the combo is nice.

Bodies don't last, but glass does. You have to buy for a "system" not for an individual body, or you will end up dissatisfied in the long run.
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
yeah, and it was there for a really long time, about 2 months or so. I thought it was an ordinary 200/4 and it was priced the same as that of a normal 200/4 telephoto so I skipped . . . I'm still looking for a good deal on an FA* 85/1.4 for $700. price that might be able to sway me away from the Sigma 85.
If it's any consolation, if the person didn't know how to post an accurate lens description, there would have been a possibility that the lens might have a "quiet" problem. I've had my fair share of lucky and foolish buying on ebay; once I had a good price on a 50/1.7, but the glass had some hairline fractures (looking inside from the K connector).

And that would certainly be a good price for an 85/1.4 I'd expect the value to go up when Pentax finally releases a full-frame body.

(And thank you for the quoting advice! )

06-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I agree that in body SR is sweet, but Sony has that as well and supposedly their implementation is better than Pentax's (as is Olympus's).
True, but very few Tamron & Sigma lenses are available for Olympus, and the ones that are are generally very inappropriate focal lengths for that sensor size. So basically, to the extent SR is a consideration, it really comes down to just Pentax versus Sony. If it were *just* about SR, then you could toss a coin, but the others reasons I Mentioned could all favor Pentax for many (ergonomics is of course subjective).

QuoteQuote:
Weather sealing is nice, but with non weather sealed lenses (as you would get with any third party lens), the benefit drops significantly.
Benefit may drop "significantly", but it's still at least as significantly better than no sealing at all.

QuoteQuote:
Bodies don't last, but glass does. You have to buy for a "system" not for an individual body, or you will end up dissatisfied in the long run.
Here we agree completely. But I'd add that while no one knows what future bodies or lenses a company might put out, familiarity with the current lineup, recent trends, and perhaps an overall sense of company philosophy can be a factor. This is of course subjective too, but for some may find this a significant point in favor of Pentax as well.

In any case, *at best*, we could say that it's largely a toss-up between Pentax and Sony, but the others could be completely out of the running for many who might have no intention of buying anything but Tamron or Sigma lenses.
06-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree that in body SR is sweet, but Sony has that as well and supposedly their implementation is better than Pentax's (as is Olympus's). I am uncertain after earlier threads as to how much benefit you get with SR and a 300 mm lens.
Olympus hasn't put up a new SLR in a while and have you held a Sony in hand?

To answer the OP question - why limit yourself to a single manufacturer? Every manufacturer in business today has survived by making good lenses. It's absurd to think that one company is better than all the rest and that you can't find a lens to appreciate in any manufacturer's lineup.
06-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have tried third party lenses for my Pentax cameras over the 49 years I have been shooting with Pentax bodies. I no longer own them. They just don't cut the mustard for me. Please note the bold print.

I have tried Sigmas several times, the last one being the 170-500. My 30 year old M 400/5.6 was sharper, had better contrast and colour. So I sold the 170-500 at a large loss and kept the old manual focus, single focal length, Pentax M. At least that time, I kept the Pentax rather than selling it off when I got the zoom. As they say, YMMV.
06-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #57
Forum Member

why be such a purist and sell yourself short?

why not have the best of both worlds?

you can have both, can't you?
06-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CGottfried Quote
If it's any consolation, if the person didn't know how to post an accurate lens description, there would have been a possibility that the lens might have a "quiet" problem. I've had my fair share of lucky and foolish buying on ebay; once I had a good price on a 50/1.7, but the glass had some hairline fractures (looking inside from the K connector).

And that would certainly be a good price for an 85/1.4 I'd expect the value to go up when Pentax finally releases a full-frame body.

(And thank you for the quoting advice! )
you're welcome. btw, you are also able to include and quote other posts as well when replying on one post. just follow the same method by clicking the multiquote button located in every post that interest you in quoting.

I think in the scenario where Pentax would come out with an FF dslr, there is a possibility that Pentax may re-release the old FA85 or a tweaked and updated version of it (SDM, WR, and SMC coating), if they don't want Sigma to get all the share of the profit for an AF 85.
06-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #59
Site Supporter

I don't have any late model digital equipment, but I've always enjoyed handling/using the "factory" product.....in my case, manual focus Pentax lenses...I'm not sure that they always perform better than the Tamron/Sigma etc products, I probably couldn't pick any difference anyway... but Pentax is the brand I've chosen, I think the quality is good....so that is what I use.
Cheers, Pickles.
06-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you aren't going to shoot Pentax glass, you've pretty much eliminated any reason to use their cameras.
Although that statement has been refuted numerous times already, it deserves as many counterpoints as possible.

As many have noted before, there are good reasons for buying Pentax bodies independently of the glass you'll put on them: Size, ergonomics, SR, weather sealing, great value for the price, etc.

Regarding the glass there is absolutely no reason to run an exclusive scheme. Yes, Pentax has "must have" high-end glass and very good offerings in the affordable range as well. There is also the large used-market for classic glass. Yet, that doesn't imply that every Pentax option is automatically better than all third-party offering.

Think about what you need then evaluate all the offerings. Sometimes Pentax glass will win, sometime third-party glass.

I'd say even if one had only third-part glass it would make sense to own a Pentax body. But of course, typically a mixture of Pentax and third-party glass will make a great system that would be difficult to match with a body from another brand at that price point.