Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 03:57 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of my lenses are Pentax but I also have Sigmas, Tamrons and a Voightlander.

There are two ways to think about the OP question:

In general, I'm inclined to eclecticism, I like having options and hate being stuck with a single solution. That's how I'm wired but I gather that's not true of the OP.

In practice, though, it comes down to specifics: if I want a really good 70mm or 180mm macro, for example, I'll go with the Sigma because there is no such Pentax lens (but, for now, I'm very happy with my FA 50mm f/2.8 macro ;~)

06-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Classic lenses from third party manufacturers worth using:

- Vivitar Series 1 - not all, but some of the first/second gen are quite unique
- some Tamron adaptall lenses - again not all, but some of them have the best build of their era and top IQ
- Zeiss M42 lenses
- Russian M42 lenses - some people complain about QC, but all the ones I tried are great optically

Modern lenses from third party manufacturers worth using:

- Voigtlander
- Zeiss
- some Tamron
- some Sigma
(too bad we don't get Tokina)
09-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #63

Original Poster
hi, guys,

i finally bought da* 16--50 a month ago... instead of the tamron or sigma versions.

How do I feel??? Just amazing!

Overall, is da* better than the tamron or sigma? I guess technically the answer is NO or it depends.
But my answer is absolutely a YES!
09-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Of course it isn't a problem to buy third party glass, but as others have said, why buy Pentax in the first place if you are going to stick Tamron and Sigma lenses on your camera. What makes Pentax cameras special is the fact that they can mount Pentax glass.

There is something quite special about the way that Pentax lenses render color and contrast that I don't see with other lenses. Sure, you can do anything you want in post processing, but I would rather not work to get that same effect.
Quite a lot of people take this argument, and I will agree, in the past, (interpret this as in the beginning of SLR cameras) there were really only 2 things that determined image quality, the film, and the lens. (assuming that the real deciding factor, the photographer knew what the hell he was doing). Since film was camera independant, lenses determined camera sales to a very large part.

As cameras became more advanced, the camera itself, and the system accessories actually have some credible attractions. Exposure modes, metering, control layout, perhaps higher frame rates, higher sync speeds, different shutters, different flash controls etc.........

Today, with digital cameras, while film is gone, and virtually any sensor can far out perform film, and while there are pixel peepers who favor one make over the other, sensor technology and quality among all DSLR camera makers, for any particular format (Full frame, ASP-C or 4/3) can be pretty well considered equal.

As a result, we are now back to a point where lenses and camera functions dictate purchase decisions. There are two aspects of camera function, what any particular camera can and can't do, and the control layouts themselves.

In my opinion, from a functional point of view, pentax cameras offer the vest value for money in features, and are the best in terms of the control layout and useability. These can be critical deciders today, irrespective of what lens you stick on the front.

The biggest points I can see for a newcomer picking pentax or sony over canon or nikon is built in shake reduction, although canon and nikon are now adding this to the entry level lenses to compete.

The biggest holding point I can see for retaining pentax film shooters is backwards compatibility. Pentax has all the competition at a big disadvantage there.

Pentax cameras also, because of backwards compatibility also allow users to play more with oddball lens combinations, simply because the camera will meter with anything stuck on the front, even a sheet of cardboard with a pin hole in it.

What pentax lacks, in my opinion, is some of the "system" support of canon and nikon. I don;t think any one will disagree that nikon probably has the best flash system, and both canon and nikon offer wider ranges of lenses, at the present time, than pentax, but there are even a lot oc canon shooters using old legacy pentax lenses, so the addage that if you don't intend to use a camera makers lens why buy the camera simply does not hold true.

Today you pick a camera that you like and get the lenses you want, they may be from the camera maker's current line up, it's past line up, or third party as you see fit. It is your money afterall. Do what you want with it.

09-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #65
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shang Quote
hi, guys,

i finally bought da* 16--50 a month ago... instead of the tamron or sigma versions.

How do I feel??? Just amazing!

Overall, is da* better than the tamron or sigma? I guess technically the answer is NO or it depends.
But my answer is absolutely a YES!
Congrats on your new addition. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Now go take some pics and show us the world through your eyes..

09-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #66
Inactive Account

i think the final image is of more importance than what brand lens is used.
when a non photographer looks at your image,will they ask you what brand lens you shot with hmmm maybe?
as long as the lens produces sharp images,it shouldnt matter.
i actually found an old sigma prime(sigma 28mm mini wide) lens id packed away for years not long ago
and it is one of my sharpest lenses at 2.8
whateva floats ya boat i guess.
09-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I have a Sigma 24-40mm f2.8 EX DG that I had bought years ago to use instead of the kit lens (edit: The lens has an overall nice construction, but I don't like the feel of the manual focus ring). Overall it has been a nice lens. Before that I had another sigma and Tamron el-cheepo zoom lenses which still function. Although these days my purchases have been completely Pentax. I think one Sigma starts incorporating WR into their lenses, I might seriously consider them again. In general, the new 85mm 1.4 from Sigma looks nice though.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 09-29-2010 at 11:12 AM.
09-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #68
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you aren't going to shoot Pentax glass, you've pretty much eliminated any reason to use their cameras.

That's total BS. One of the main reasons why I went with pentax (although I didn't know it at the time), was due to pentax's opinions on what makes a camera good, and that being integrated into the body.

about the only pentax lens I have met that I really didn't care for was the 18-250. Pentax generally makes good glass, and generally, their ideas of what makes a lens "good" is pretty agreeable with me.

However, in a lens there is the equally important factor of making the right lens for what you want to do. I love my tamron 70-200 f2.8. I like it optically, but I especially like the role that a 70-200 with good sharpness across the frame at both ends and constant 2.8 aperture fills a very, very useful niche in my kit. Pentax on the other hand decided that due to the crop factor, a 50-135 was just as good functionally. While the 50-135 is a good lens, it doesn't do the same job.

Personally, I'd buy a pentax 17-70 constant 2.8 with weather sealing done with the usual pentax excellence. Why? Because my sigma 17-70 is so useful, but I'd REALLY like the same range with a constant 2.8, and I'd pay a fair bit for it.

OTOH I love my pentax 10-17 fisheye and my da* 40, and would love to get the petnax 15mm prime after seeing the image qualities you get out of it.

09-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #69
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never would have considered Pentax if it there were no 3rd party options. While they make some very decent and unique lenses, where there is crossover, some of the 3rd party options are better, cheaper and more reliable. I'd take the Tamron 17-50 over the D*16-50, even if the Pentax was half the price of the Tamron. The IQ and color is every bit as good, if not better, it comes with a much better warranty and will never have SDM issues. My Sigma 10-20 is my favorite and most often used lens (and yes I do have a DA15). Pentax has NOTHING comparable, not even the 12-24. By limiting yourself to Pentax glass only you are selling yourself severely short.
09-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I never would have considered Pentax if it there were no 3rd party options. While they make some very decent and unique lenses, where there is crossover, some of the 3rd party options are better, cheaper and more reliable. I'd take the Tamron 17-50 over the D*16-50, even if the Pentax was half the price of the Tamron. The IQ and color is every bit as good, if not better, it comes with a much better warranty and will never have SDM issues. My Sigma 10-20 is my favorite and most often used lens (and yes I do have a DA15). Pentax has NOTHING comparable, not even the 12-24. By limiting yourself to Pentax glass only you are selling yourself severely short.
You can say this from your own side by side compare?

09-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
My Sigma 10-20 is my favorite and most often used lens (and yes I do have a DA15). Pentax has NOTHING comparable, not even the 12-24. By limiting yourself to Pentax glass only you are selling yourself severely short.
I seem to disagree with this statement and I would find it to be based on subjective bias due to favoritism. the Sigma 10-20 is a very capable lens but saying that it is incomparably better and reliable is simply not entirely true. it is cheaper though which makes it more appealing to those who don't have the cash for the Pentax 12-24. but usually, you pay more for something that is better. resolution wise, the Sigma is weaker compared to the Pentax, so I dunno where you got the idea that it's better. as far as coverage is concerned, this is dependent on what the user prefers or needs.

if I were to say this, you chose the wrong lens for comparison and thinking it is incomparably better when it's not. it can be someone's favorite but that doesn't make it scientifically better. now, if you used the Sigma 8-16 or Sigma 12-24, then that would be worth of being atleast equal or incomparably better than what Pentax can offer right now. but mind, those 2 lenses don't come cheap anymore and much more expensive than the cheap Sigma 10-20. point is, you pay more for something better even with 3rd party lenses.