Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I'd like something a bit faster and with full-time manual focus.
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The OP didn't specify full time manual focus and in fact brought up the Sigma 50mm f1.4.
Yes the OP did.

Also the Sigma 50 1.4 says it has full-time manual focus override in the specs, though I know Pentax versions sometimes differ from their Canon versions. I've never used it, so I don't know how it compares with quick shift, but I also specified that quick-shift was the Pentax version of this feature.

06-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I have this lens and it is great. The only thing to not is that its pretty heavy.

I use it with a kx and you are able to basically shoot in almost any lighting conditions without the flash and still get good results.
06-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #18

+1 on the kit lens. it won't add much cost vs body only and you can always sell it later if you really don't like it.

however, i think you'll probably be surprised at just how good a pentax kit lens can be.
06-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Yes the OP did.

Also the Sigma 50 1.4 says it has full-time manual focus override in the specs, though I know Pentax versions sometimes differ from their Canon versions. I've never used it, so I don't know how it compares with quick shift, but I also specified that quick-shift was the Pentax version of this feature.
O.k. you like to argue semantics. I said:

QuoteQuote:
The OP didn't specify full time manual focus and in fact brought up the Sigma 50mm f1.4.
I responded to your response to my post because you implied he was looking for a mf lens. The only full time mf lens Pentax has in production at the moment is the A 50mm f1.2 which is actually in production but not available directly in the U.S. without purchasing it through a seller in Hong Kong. I don't know why you made an issue with the suggestions in my original post.

However, "quick shift" doesn't have jack to do with full time mf, since AF is still active in the Pentax system. That's what the AF/MF switch on the body is for.

Furthermore, the FA series lenses are relatively small and work well as mf lenses on mf film bodies etc.

06-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter

If the OP wants a truly full time new manual focus lens, there are 2 additional options.

The Nokton 55mm f1.4 by Voightlander at $379 new and can probably be gotten through Steve Gandy or Amazon since it is out of stock at BH.

And the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 which is $669 shipped from either Adorama or BH.

That's as full time as it gets.
06-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
O.k. you like to argue semantics. I said:

I responded to your response to my post because you implied he was looking for a mf lens. The only full time mf lens Pentax has in production at the moment is the A 50mm f1.2 which is actually in production but not available directly in the U.S. without purchasing it through a seller in Hong Kong. I don't know why you made an issue with the suggestions in my original post.

However, "quick shift" doesn't have jack to do with full time mf, since AF is still active in the Pentax system. That's what the AF/MF switch on the body is for.

Furthermore, the FA series lenses are relatively small and work well as mf lenses on mf film bodies etc.
Not semantics, I'm directly answering the OP's post. Look at the quote I put in there, or read the OP's post again. It might be a Sigma term that's confusing you--I was using the OP's terminology so as not to confuse him/her.
06-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Not semantics, I'm directly answering the OP's post. Look at the quote I put in there, or read the OP's post again. It might be a Sigma term that's confusing you--I was using the OP's terminology so as not to confuse him/her.
Yes, you are arguing semantics in that my original post had nothing to do with you or your opinions and there wasn't anything in accurate in my post. You need to go back and look at post #2 which you cited for some reason. You could have made your suggestion regarding the DA* 55mm without quoting my post since the posts had nothing to do with each other.

Edit: I am not confused by Sigma's terminology and haven't discussed it. No where in post #2 is there anything about Sigma's terminology. However, you seem to be confused about Pentax's Quick Focus.
06-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Without getting into semantics, I'd just add a +1 for the Sigma 50mm f/1.4

I got one recently, and am VERY impressed with it. yes it is big, but looks very impressive. Focusing is extremely quick and virtually silent with the HSM. The bokeh is lovely, and the IQ is outstanding - tack sharp (OK, slightly soft wide open), bright, good contrast. I have several Pentax Ltds all the way from 15mm to 77mm, and while they JUST have the edge on the Siggie, that 50mm f/1.4 is one heck of a lens.

I love it.

06-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey guys, just an update:

I bought the K-7 today with the kit lens. I'm also bidding for an A50mm/1.7. Combined I should be able to get the body and 2 lenses ~$1000. I like the idea of using the A series lenses! I'd love to get some wider ones as well, but can't seem to find any atm.

I still plan on getting that Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM when it comes out. I really think it will rock the competition in that range. The kit lens will come in handy with the WR; there were many instances with my old DSLR where I wanted to shoot in the rain but couldn't, this should be a nice backup for those circumstances.

Thanks greatly for your contributions!