Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there is no justification for a purchase. it is an expenditure.

there are two things that I do in my case.

1.> I never tell my wife about the purchase and hide it.

2.> I bribe her with things that are expensive that she wouldn't dare asking how much I spent on a small lens.

06-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

It's very simple. We both work, therefore my money is mine, and her money is hers. As long as our bills are paid and we continue individual savings accounts, we do what we want with our money. It's been this way for 7yrs and we have not had one single problem.

My girlfriend is into Photography, but does not have LBA. She says all she needs is the kit lens and a small zoom that reaches a little further than the kit lens.
06-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

How come all of you guys seem to be terrified to tell your wives what you have bought?
Maybe I'm the exception but never had to justify or lie, come up with lame excuses, bribe, ask for permission first or secretly hide my purchases. Cooking up a story that your photographic hobby is a better indulgence than boozing or women is just gonna haunt you later. :ugh:
06-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
How come all of you guys seem to be terrified to tell your wives what you have bought?
Maybe I'm the exception but never had to justify or lie, come up with lame excuses, bribe, ask for permission first or secretly hide my purchases. Cooking up a story that your photographic hobby is a better indulgence than boozing or women is just gonna haunt you later. :ugh:
Reality check:

The argument for buying a $500 lens versus putting that money toward the purchase of a new dining room table is a hard argument to make.

Yeah, you both want a new table, but she REALLY wants one, and you REALLY want the new lens a whole lot more.

It's a battle about who sets the financial priorities in the household, and while some men readily relinquish this power to their wives, those of us with testicles don't.

06-18-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ira, I've never had a problem with making big ticket purchases, then again I've bought an apartment and one or two cars on a whim before. Still have my cojones intact, but I can emphatize with the plight of others...
06-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ira, I've never had a problem with making big ticket purchases, then again I've bought an apartment and one or two cars on a whim before. Still have my cojones intact, but I can emphatize with the plight of others...
I don't know how many lenses you have, how much money you make, or your wife's personality.

But it's a basic fact that man's lust for a new lens often contradicts the family's financial needs in other areas.

And to get what we want, it's sometimes necessary to bend our spouses' perception of reality via all means possible.

When I'm home and off my iTouch, I'll explain the latest example of this in my life.
06-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I never dip into the household budget. Any time I want to purchase something, I need to raise the funds either through (1) selling current gear, or (2) conduct extra-curricular economic activity to cover it. :-)
06-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trevorgrout Quote
Hi,

I just wanted to start this thread for fun...and I would like to see if others are in my situation.

So how do you justify your lens purchases when your better half isn't all that interested in photography and certainly not in the cost of maintaining the hobby?

I am getting a DA40 limited but only after a lot of persuasion. Am I the only one with this problem? How do you all get your better half to go along?
LOL

I just don't tell my wife about it. Having accumulated a rather substantial amount of glass over the years, I keep a Paypal float(profit margin) going at all times from which to support my lens buying addiction.

And so when the packages come-in... I do my put my best inquiry face(what could that be...) as I quietly bring the infamous package into my work lair.
I suppose a steady flow of packages is as good a cover as one could ever ask for

And of course... having undisclosed funds to work with is empirical .

06-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
But it's a basic fact that man's lust for a new lens often contradicts the family's financial needs in other areas.
Ditto that. It is the same with some of my friends who are not into photography but rather HIFI/sound equipment.
06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Tell her that with the new lens you are purchasing, she will look even more beautiful in photos!
06-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #26
Nubi

Ah, a good thread.

I used to have LBA. Now I don't. I can now look back and rationally imagine why and how I was getting away with it with my wife. The thing is I am not sure. I am not sure if I did get away with it, because the consequence is yet to come in the future. The wrath can strike any minute, I guess. But do start slowly; and DA 40 ltd is a good start, since it is so small and conspicuous. You almost didn't have to tell her. Or, in the future, you can tell her that you sold it, and still keep it. Old Takumar fisheyes are also excellent for this purpose. Then you go for FA lts. Not silver ones. They stick out too much. If you need macro, I guess the only choice you have is DA35ltd and get insanely close. An absolute must is children. Pets might do, but there is nothing better than smiles of her off-springs. Don't forget a secret G mail account as well as ebay identity.
06-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

But it was on sale!
06-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I was recently granted the approval to get a DA35 Ltd....originally she said it is an impulse buy and i dont really need it. I explained to her "lovingly" that the DA35 has a certain kind of attribute which I find lacking in my other lens. I show her some wonderful pics on the web. I show her how nice the lens is....

She finally broke down and said i can have just 1 lens now. I am a happy man
Give an inch and take a mile! You've broken her already, now go for the 2nd lens, and 3rd...
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

1) Ira buys lens, eBay BIN, for $245. He way overpays, but what the hell. The world is going to hell in a handbasket anyway--so ENJOY!

2) Seller accepts two payments.

3) Wife thinks Ira bought two lens at $125 each, as opposed to one lens at $250. Same dollar amount coming from the family budget, but it's just one lens instead of two. And the $125 price point doesn't make her go postal.

It also helps to time these things around Father's Day.
06-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I believe Ira hit the nail on that one. it's about individuality and preferences by gender. women in particular likes shoes, bags, jewelries. while us guys buy our toys, gears, electronic equipments. for sure, women dont want to be neglected as well, as much as we dont want to be deprived of what we want. I guess the modern woman had develop balls over the century.