Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2010, 05:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Justify LBA to spouse

Hi,

I just wanted to start this thread for fun...and I would like to see if others are in my situation.

So how do you justify your lens purchases when your better half isn't all that interested in photography and certainly not in the cost of maintaining the hobby?

I am getting a DA40 limited but only after a lot of persuasion. Am I the only one with this problem? How do you all get your better half to go along?

06-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A logical one is that buying lenses is more of an investment than simply spending money. Good lenses generally keep their value over time, so if you ever really need that money in the future, you should be able to sell the lenses back and get at least a significant portion of your money back.

Of course, after buying a good lens...you may never want to give it up!
06-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
A logical one is that buying lenses is more of an investment than simply spending money. Good lenses generally keep their value over time, so if you ever really need that money in the future, you should be able to sell the lenses back and get at least a significant portion of your money back.

Of course, after buying a good lens...you may never want to give it up!
I think that considering lenses as an investment is a very bad move. I have never sold any of my lenses, and with the exception of building an M42 kit for the fun of it, do not have duplicates in focal length or speed, BUT, aside from used lenses where I picked up some good bargins, not a single lens I own, that I purchased new, is selling today for anything near to the dollar amount I paid, ignoring the fact that inflation is not being considered here, I have probably lost a fortune, financially, between the present selling value of my kit and the price I paid.

Lenses do not appreciate in value, they just depreciate slower than camera bodies, and retain their usefulness longer, that is all. The fact that I still use lenses I bought in 1980 is a statement to their value, the cameras I bought at the same time, I still also own, but have not used in years.
06-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

My wife doesn't mind that much because she sees me actually using and enjoying the stuff, and understands the differences between the various lenses.

I also usually lie to her about how much I spent.

06-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Lenses do not appreciate in value, they just depreciate slower than camera bodies, and retain their usefulness longer, that is all
Fully agree. IMO, the only lenses that have increased their value are the discountinued "gems" like the A* 85mm of F* 85mm but this is unstable situation since Pentax could maybe issue a new 85mm with better coatings and construction

Your spouse should appreciate your hobby and understand it's better to spend money on lenses and make pictures than spending it on booze or women
06-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote

Your spouse should appreciate your hobby and understand it's better to spend money on lenses and make pictures than spending it on booze or women
There's no reason a man can't do both.
06-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I personally have never liked the sort of view some have when they say things like, "...well at least I'm not spending the money on hookers and beer." Sort of the complete wrong thing to suggest as your alternatives. Never a good thing to even think when you love someone, I would say.

And just to make sure I do not come across as "high and mighty"...
I justify my cheap and inexpensive camera gear purchases by opening my wife's wardrobe. Her shoe count and my lens count would he a close race. And lately she has been buying those blouses that sort of gather just below the bodice and the stitching crosses. Not at all flattering to me. But I digress.
My wife suggested that she buys so many clothes and shoes to give her confidence in her career. She makes the money in our family so I do not often protest. So I could say the mostly crappy lenses I have give me confidence when the kids are driving me crazy and my wife says she
has to work late or will be going to Mexico on business for five days.
We have an unwritten understanding. We both usually shop off the clearance rack. But I am glad she does not buy used lingerie.

06-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My wife is a gem for a couple of reasons. Firstly, she is also interested in photography and has a K10D. Second, she is an absolute SHOE FANATIC! I really don't understand what it is about women and shoes....

Her way of dealing with the situation when the current shoe store room at home (not a small room, I might add) ran out of room, was to get some extra shelves put into the laundry. They're now full as well. All her shoes are in boxes, and she has digital photos of the shoes taped to the ends of the boxes so she knows what is in each box.

So, if I get a new lens or whatever, all I need to do is glance down at whatever shoes she has on at that moment, look back up into her eyes, and gently raise one eyebrow.... No words need be spoken. She understands.

As I said - she's a gem

PS - I have a lot of lenses ))
06-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
I really don't understand what it is about women and shoes....
I used to work with a guy who the ladies went nuts over--as handsome as they come. He was a great guy too, and although I was married, I used to comment about how easy it must be for him to meet women because of his looks, and he would say:

"Ira, it has nothing to do with looks. If you want to get a woman interested in you, just compliment her on her shoes."

His theory was--and I wish I knew this 20 years prior--that women put so much effort and love into their shoe purchases that a guy complimenting that showed appreciation for this effort, and made him a keeper.
06-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I dont have a wife......

Ok, so while no interest in photography may be uncurable, I am sure you can win her over by making her interested in Photos. Maybe flattering pictures of her or the kids, ones she is proudly displaying on facebook. And then slowly explain to her why so and so poses or pictures were now made possible because of so and so lenses? Just my two cents, but i am not well versed in the art of home.
06-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
"Ira, it has nothing to do with looks. If you want to get a woman interested in you, just compliment her on her shoes."
I am writing this down and testing it out.

But...are you sure being handsome did not help his theory a lot?
06-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
I am writing this down and testing it out.

But...are you sure being handsome did not help his theory a lot?
Believe me--I was skeptical as well.

But I did this a few times at the bar and I'm telling you, the women really light up.

You can compliment a blouse, their looks, but there's something about those freaking shoes that's different.
06-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

1-I keep LBA under control, and buy lenses that serve an actual purpose. I explain that purpose to her.

2-I asked her to keep the receipts of the things she purchases for her own hobbies. And that did the trick...
06-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I told her with all the lenses I buy I won't have any money left for hookers.

Seriously, though, my wife likes that I have a hobby, I take nice pics of the kids and she loves that
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

My wife is great. She is frugal, keep the account book in check, a good cook, a wonderful companion and now a buddy photographer sharing my lenses She does not spend unnecessarily in clothing and she always ask me if she should buy that pair of blouse or shoes....I can never fault her for spending too much.

I was recently granted the approval to get a DA35 Ltd....originally she said it is an impulse buy and i dont really need it. I explained to her "lovingly" that the DA35 has a certain kind of attribute which I find lacking in my other lens. I show her some wonderful pics on the web. I show her how nice the lens is....

She finally broke down and said i can have just 1 lens now. I am a happy man