Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmmm...

Does the lukewarm reception of the DA*16-50 (talking about reports of CA/bokeh problems) make anyone else leary about the future DA* lens line-up, or just me?

I'm getting the impression that the once-revered * designation is being watered down.

I have no interest in buying any zooms anyway, but am concerned about the quality of future entries into the 300mm and over range of primes. Will they be as good as the FA*300, etc?

Just thinking out loud here...

08-10-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I was considering the 16-50, but the more I see of samples, the less impressed I am. However, I have yet to see a good landscape shot with this lens (strictly speaking of composition and light) and will hold judgement until I do, as that would be it's main use, were I to get one. Until then, I've got no reason to part with my 14mm or 24mm.

I've got higher hopes with the 50-135 though, and if the samples are where I would expect them to be, then I may just get that one.

As for the telephoto primes, I'd expect them to at least meet and I'd prefer they surpass their FA* counterparts.
08-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
sft

Photos: Gallery
Well you have to remember that the widest FA* zoom the 28-70 came no way near the extreme WA of the 16mm. After all the crop factor is irrelevant. One is a 16mm lens at its widest and the other a 28mm - that said I saw some crops of corner comparison on dpreview and at f/2.8 at 31mm the FA* was better but at f/4 and f/8 the DA* was better even though the FA* is a FF lens.

I think it is wise to just wait and see a real test of the lens like on phtoozone.de or wait for more people to have the lens and post shots. By next week - we will have a lot more samples since the lenses have started showing up in several stores in the US. The 50-135 looks to be stellar from what I have seen and the DA*16-50 is not bad at all. You have to take into consideration the design limitation with such a WA lens.

CA looks better than the DA16-45. Distortion at 16mm looks worse however. Sharpness looks good accross the frame at f/4 and at f/2.8 it looks good in the centers with a drop in the edges (like with all f/2.8 WA zooms). As for bokeh, I have seen very good examples and some with not so nice bokeh. That said even primes can have bad bokeh - the FA43 IMO for example has real nice bokeh in certain scenes but can look really harsh and have lots of bright ring specular highlights in many other scenes. This is even evident in some of the photozone samples and yet people love to rave about the FA43 because it is a Limited (and IMO the worst FA Limited as far as bokeh rendering goes) so I do not think the DA* is a dissapointment - it will display faults in certain scenes like almost all lenses (even primes) - it is just impossible to deliver such a WA zoom lens that can have no CA, very low barrel distortion and be just as sharp in the corners at f/2.8 as it is at f/5.6. If Pentax could do that they would have produced the best WA zoom lens ever made by a clear margin - the DA* as I see it - is just a welcome addition as a top-tier WA zoom that can more or less go head to head with any of the other top-tier WA zooms. I think expectations are a little too high with the DA*16-50.

Last edited by sft; 08-10-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typos, etc.
08-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sft Quote
CA looks better than the DA16-45. Distortion at 16mm looks worse however. Sharpness looks good accross the frame at f/4 and at f/2.8 it looks good in the centers with a drop in the edges (like with all f/2.8 WA zooms). As for bokeh, I have seen very good examples and some with not so nice bokeh.
(snip)...the DA* as I see it - is just a welcome addition as a top-tier WA zoom that can more or less go head to head with any of the other top-tier WA zooms. I think expectations are a little too high with the DA*16-50.
Well said, this is exactly how I feel.

As for the rest of the DA* lineup, I wouldn't infer much if anything from these lenses. Case in point, the FA*24/2 behaves much differently from the FA*28-70/2.8 which behaves differently still from the FA*300/4.5. I've always felt that Pentax makes great telephoto and super-telephoto lenses, it is somewhat baffling that they never brought out the pro 35mm bodies to match them.

08-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

Tom - I haven't gotten the feeling that the 16-50 DA* has been a luke warm reception at all. I've seen some sample images that look great, and I think the lens measures up to realistically-expected-quality quite well and would be a fine lens to actually use for something other than shooting lens resolution targets with. I'm sure that the design will produce great results in the hands of an experienced photog.

That being said, I haven't gotten my hands on one to really test out. So, take it with a grain of salt. I'm not in the market for this lens (saving for a few primes) but if I were I would wait to purchase until a few reviews came out comparing it to some of its competition, just to make sure it's not a real dog.

Just a side note, I think that in general, lens design is much better now than even 5-10 years ago, and I do think that people spend way too much time comparing the nuances in lens resolution, etc. If those people really needed higher resolution or better performance, they would be finding much more pragmatic ways of getting it than ranting about design defects on forums.

If you are worried about the future of the DA* quality, your only option is to wait and see for yourself if the new lenses you want measure up to your standards when they come out. From my perspective, Pentax would rather delay product launches (and lose money, etc) and make sure their lense meet high standards than sell substandard products. At least that's what they say happened with the DA* zooms, so hopefully that's some indication that their future products will continue to measure up.

Anyway, hopefully you won't stress out too much about this. It's not worth it in the grand scheme of life. :-)
08-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sft Quote
Well you have to remember that the widest FA* zoom the 28-70 came no way near the extreme WA of the 16mm. After all the crop factor is irrelevant.

Is that correct? I think the crop factor is relevant. Otherwise, there's no way old home movie cameras would have had 8mm lenses that didn't have massive amounts of distortion.
08-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Is that correct? I think the crop factor is relevant. Otherwise, there's no way old home movie cameras would have had 8mm lenses that didn't have massive amounts of distortion.
That has more to do with the distance the film sits behind the lens. It gets increasingly difficult to design wide angle lenses the farther they sit from the film plane.

It is how you can get a decently-corrected 6mm lens in most point & shoot cameras.